Notices

'puter help needed...

Old 12-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 'puter help needed...

I followed your instructions, and it appears that the files are correctly associated. I know that I was not sent .html files as I can see the full file name. This particular example was a word file.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:47 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

It's a combination of the second and third options. This problem does not apply to a specific tile type. It applies to all downloads. It does not matter weither the download is part of a e-mail attachment or a file that I'm trying to download off a web site. The end result is the same. For example; when I look at a e-mail it'll say letter.doc or drawing.dwg or image.jpg. They are never *.html attachments. Now generally, I can't double click on the attachment-I've tried that. I must download it first. My choices are to open it from it's current location or to download the file. Sometimes opening it from the current location works. I always have to try twice though. The first attempt brings me back to the same screen. Sometimes on the second attempt, my only option is to download the file. The option to remotly open it is shaded out. Tonight, I was able to remotly open the file and do a save as. When I try to save the file to the disk, my only option is to save it as a .html file. That's the only file type that is available. Pasting the correct file name and extension into the box only gets me a letter.doc.html file that is invalid. Renaming the file by removing the .html extension does not work as the file still reads as being invalid. The only file type in the pull down is a .html file.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Ok, before I piss off an moderators, I'd swear that I had posted this in the bilge section. I must have clicked on the wrong window. Sorry.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:11 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yea, I've tried the file renaming thing in the past. Even with the correct renamed file extension, the program will not recognize it. I get a invalide file type message.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Yes, you have it correct. My e-mail is not located locally, but is web based. We are also using AOL, not Outlook. When I open the e-mail, the message has been downloaded, but not the attachment. That's a separate process. It does not matter if I'm trying to download a file attachment or a web file, the result is the same. This has been a problem for a month or two. I havn't changed anything, but I've been bombarded with viruses lately. They've always been obvious and I havn't downloaded the attachments.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AOL STINKS CORD, I rather use outlook 2003 sp1 and a regular High speed connection
Old 12-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Registered

Damn.....had to read that title a second time....I thought it said "'Puder needs help".....
Old 12-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Risk-that thought had crossed my mind.

I agree that AOL sucks, but it's free, so I put up with it.