Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Now I'm mad. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/92030-now-im-mad.html)

hugetime1 12-08-2004 06:42 PM

Re: Now I'm mad.

here is my take on this, I am probobly the biggest sinner there is, really don't go to church, I drink too much smoke alot and will do all the women i can, oh yeah let's not leave out gambling. but these people are phucked up. I like christmas, it is fun , festive and people are genrally pretty nice during christmas. weather you are religous or not just enjoy the holliday and the extra time off, there is nothing wrong with it. but if you don't want anything to do with christmas don't try to phuck it up for me cuz i'll kick your azz you non american prick

CAP071 12-08-2004 06:47 PM

Christmas Festivities Draw Scrutiny
Religion's Role in Public Celebrations Debated

MAPLEWOOD, N.J. (Dec. 7) - Members of the Columbia High School brass ensemble were not allowed to play Christmas carols at their holiday concert this year - not even instrumental versions.

At a school board meeting Monday night, parents and students alike expressed their outrage.

"This is censorship at its most basic level and political correctness to its extreme," said student Ryan Dahn.

"When you close that door you are supporting ignorance, and I think it's a very sad thing," said parent Melanie Amsterdam.

The controversy is by no means an isolated case. The role of religion during the Christmas season is a source of annual angst. But this year, people in "red," or Republican, America - particularly Christian conservatives - are in an unprecedented uproar.

They are sending letters to public schools in Chicago, where the words "Merry Christmas" have been excised from a popular song; boycotting Macy's, which has removed "Merry Christmas" signs from its department stores; and protesting the exclusion of a church group from Denver's annual Parade of Lights.

"What they don't understand is that by not wanting to offend anyone, they're excluding a huge group of people, and that is all of those of the Christian faith," said Doug Newcomb, business administrator of the Faith Bible Chapel in Arvada, Colo.

Attorney Demetrios Stratis, affiliated with the conservative civil liberties group Alliance Defense Fund, is one of 700 Christian lawyers across the country poised to pounce on such cases.

"We just don't believe that you need to stamp out religion in the public square," he said.

There are those in Maplewood - and in "blue," or Democratic, America generally - who say religion should be a private matter.

"Holiday celebrations where Christian music is being sung make people feel different," said Mark Brownstein, a Maplewood parent. "And because it is such a majority, it makes the minority feel uncomfortable."

But Eric Chabrow, who is Jewish, says his son, Sam, should be able to play Christmas songs in the high school band. Chabrow is a part of "blue" America and generally supports the separation of church and state.

"I think that people have become a little too dogmatic in their beliefs on either side," he said. "And I think in this world today, we need to look at that center. I mean, the center in this country is vanishing. And maybe that's what's happening here."

He says there must be solutions that are neither "red" nor "blue" - just common sense.

Solutions may not be forthcoming: Christian lawyers may sue the Maplewood school board, while the school superintendent is vowing not to bend to outside pressure.

12-07-04 21:29 EST

Copyright 2004 ABC News.

hugetime1 12-08-2004 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is what will happen to these people

CAP071 12-08-2004 06:54 PM

The culture of this country is rapidly changing and we are being forced to change with it. We may not like it, but it's changing every day. Look around and see what is missing from just a few years ago.

For God sakes Target won't even allow a salvation army guy out front with a bell :rolleyes:

hugetime1 12-08-2004 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
aa

Formula Outlaw 12-08-2004 07:05 PM

Just another spiral downward in our society. Whatever happened to "America: Land of the Free"????? How did WE as Americans allow all this crap to happen? And I'm not just talking about Christmas, I'm talking about the general regression of society as a whole. How did it happen?

First: we took corporal punishment out of schools.
Second: we took corporal punishment away from parents.
Third: we have allowed "frivilous lawsuits" to propogate faster than rabbits
Fourth: we ALL need to stand up and be counted, to let our "elected idiots" know
we are not going to stand for this crap anymore.

I fully realize that this is only my own personal opinion, but I think that society as a whole has been going down the "crapper" since the mid/late 70's when the corporal punishment issue became an issue. But then again maybe I'm just slowly turning into a crab.

CAP071 12-08-2004 07:10 PM

we as americans were and always will be too busy working to make money. we go to work everyday. had we stayed home and protested many of these changes. they may not be in effect today. As we went to work. These friggin ***os were out protesting everything from gay marriage to killing unborn babies. They were the louder of the voices so they got thier way. :rolleyes:

hugetime1 12-08-2004 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
what do we tell the childern?????

CAP071 12-08-2004 07:12 PM

If every so called American called out of work Monday and said we are not coming back until CHRISTMAS IS PUT BACK INTO OUR LIVES. I'll bet you we would get CHRISTMAS back real soon

ScottB 12-08-2004 07:17 PM

Gimmi a frickin Break, I celebrate Christmas and love it. I have friends who celebrate Hanuka. Whatever you celebrate I don't care, have fun.
Put a fat ass Buddah on the Town Hall Doorstep on your Holiday, I won't be offended.