Notices

Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350

Old 12-10-2004, 05:51 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
The Tekonsha Prodigy is the only way to go IMO! Everything is basically automatic.
That is what I have on my F250. Works great.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just won a prodigy on ebay for 62.51, used for one year. Owner says his new F350 came with one installed already. Wonder if it's part of the towing package kit now.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by East Coast B
Just won a prodigy on ebay for 62.51, used for one year. Owner says his new F350 came with one installed already. Wonder if it's part of the towing package kit now.
The new Super Duty trucks have an option from the factory called Tow Command. This is basically a built in brake controller on the truck. Works a lot like the Prodigy unit. Oddly enough, I've heard several complaints about the operation this set up already.

A buddy of mine is in the business like myself. He ordered an 05 a couple months ago. He was going to get this package himself. He has heard and seen many complaints like myself from his customers about this set up. He opted to get the new truck without this package for this very reason.

Buck
Old 12-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Registered

HELP!!! Received brake controller from ebay seller, complete without the knobs to mount the thing and not instruction manual. And what numbnut figured that is the best place for the Ford connector to be installed??

Anyway... How do I use this thing? Button on right looks like it turns it from Off to b.1, b.2, b.3. Looks like a volume adjustment on the left and then some slot machine handle on the bottom. Appreciate your help!!! I have to tow in the morning and I don't want to do it without it.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

There are no knobs to mount it. The bracket screws into the dash, and the Prodigy unit slides into the mount. If it is wired properly, there should be a "-C-" on the display, that means the trailer is connected. The blue button on the right controls how hard the brakes hit, you just have to try the different settings for your trailer set-up. The slide button on the bottom is a manual actuator. To set the controller, pull the trailer at slow speeds with the hand actuator engaged. Turn the wheel on the left side forward(the numbers should be getting larger) until you can lock the trailer wheels, then turn it backwards a little. After you get it set, everything else is automatic. You will love it once you get used to it! Remember that you have to turn the wheel downward(numbers getting smaller) when you are pulling an empty trailer or the brakes will lock up. Did you get an owner's manual? If not, I am sure there is one on the Tekonsha website. Good Luck!
Old 12-18-2004, 04:59 AM
Registered

Warparty36, Thanks for the user tips! No instruction manual came with the unit.

-C-, didn't see that in the window, but also didn't have trailer hooked up, not sure if that matters. I'll find out this morning.

As for mounting, there are holes for the knobs to screw into on the sides and I can see on either side of the bracket, it's worn from where it looks like the knobs would tighten down on. The bracket is a flat U shape with no slide in grooves, definitely need knobs to hold it onto the bracket.