Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Coast Guard Documentation question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/92113-coast-guard-documentation-question.html)

Quiet Storm 12-09-2004 11:00 PM

Re: Coast Guard Documentation question

My boat was documented when I bought it. The documentation #'s stayed the same. My home port is Hammond, Indiana and I had to include that on the transom. I live in Illinois and that's where everything gets mailed to.

They wouldn't let me buy an Indiana sticker until I had the official documentation papers. I was never stopped and asked why I didn't have #'s or a sticker on the boat. You do not have to put registration #'s on the boat but can if you want to. I like the clean look.

It took about four months to get the official documentation papers.

The Menace 02-02-2005 04:15 PM

1. Can be documented anywhere.

2. Must have #'s permanently embedded in boat 3-4 inches high (inside bilge is normal).

3. Papers are mailed every year to the address the unit is documented.

4. If you are traveling in different waters you are supposively responsibl for notifying the coast guard you are there.

5. You still have to get state registraton (sticker). They want your money!

6. Name and port of call must be on trnsom 4 inches high in a contrasting color(s).

pm203 02-02-2005 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P
Numbers? I thought Documentation was on the name, not numbers???

Also, if the boat is documented, do you still need state registration numbers?

Why document? What's the benifit?

The banks like the boats documented.A documented boat can be seized/arrested anywhere in the world.A titled boat without doc gives the bank very little rights if you decide to not repay the the loan and leave the country with the boat.And yes,all states I know of still require the boat to be registered.

GLH 02-02-2005 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My documentation address is in Vermont and you can put ANY home port as long as it's a valid town and state.

I put this, cause we like the place! and it's out of state.

Macklin 02-02-2005 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by pm203
And yes,all states I know of still require the boat to be registered.

Virginia does not require state registration if the boat is documented.

GLH 02-02-2005 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Macklin

Neither does Vermont unless the boat stay 90 days consecutively in VT water.

Also I would like to add that I have been stop a couple times and the only documentation i have ever produced has been my CG documentation certificate and I have never been asked anything else.

I do not have any state reg numbers on my boat just the name & homeport at the back from the CG documents

jdnca1 02-02-2005 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Macklin

Neither does KY. OHIO REQUIRES sticker.

BAJA WILL 02-02-2005 06:12 PM

Lets see the reason to Doc. here in VA, well its allot cheaper than going throughthe state if you catch my drift. :rolleyes:

GLH 02-02-2005 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
Lets see the reason to Doc. here in VA, well its allot cheaper than going throughthe state if you catch my drift. :rolleyes:

Yup

pm203 02-02-2005 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 27Fountain

Both Mass. and NH require registrations.One is a sales tax state and the other is not.Mass even goes as far as sending one of their officers down to Coast Guard headquarters to review documentation lists and follow up on boat owners not paying the 5% sales tax.They also drive around to marinas and check out every boat.The marina office has to comply with detailed lists.Overall,it is pretty disgusting,but I guess its the law.