Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I'm stupid for doing this... >

I'm stupid for doing this...

Notices

I'm stupid for doing this...

Old 12-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I'm stupid for doing this...

if it were me, id put some used twin outboards on it. Maybe twin 250 mercs?
Old 12-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

emotion, thats probably a smarter idea than f-n around with this boat... and that's why I'm having a problem doing this.

I've been thinking about this project all day, and if I'm gonna do it, I at least need to go with 8 Cyl and straight exhaust - I was used to a 454 with straights - loudest boat at the marina and DAMN proud of it!!!

Re-sale??????
If I'm gonna do this, no one will ever buy it! I could care less about re-sale. This is about building something unique, that only I will love (and maybe a few on board here that can appreciate a project like this).
I'm glad I posted this morning, you guy's pushed me over the edge and I think I'm gonna do it.
I want to get rid of the windsheild and give it a longer deck. I like the look of the fairing, and I don't expect this thing to be that fast (although, with a 350 It might move pretty good!!!!!)
I already know I need Tabs, and some hydraulic steering - between the two of those items it'll cost me more than the boat is worth.

Should I really do this??
Someone talk some sense into me!!!!!
The wife want's racing numbers on it - she suggested P-69, but I think thats been overdone, I'm thinking P-22,
guess what it means... ???
Old 12-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
(The wife want's racing numbers on it - she suggested P-69, but I think thats been overdone, I'm thinking P-22,
guess what it means... ???
Try Pt-109
Old 12-12-2004, 01:53 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i got 7.4 330 sitting in my garage i'd let go cheap.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

puder,
damn, you're making me think .....

Can anyone insure this thing when I'm done with it????
A 19' with a BBC or maybe even a turbine that madcow is donating...
I gotta be realistic about this thing.
Started cleaning out the garge today to make room for this.
need to get some plastic to drape over the walls and collect all the sanding dust from the hull.

Puder - the rumble of a big block has me thinking, but I don't think this boat will ever get on plane with that much weight in the A$$ end.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

yea, wish i coulda cought up with ya in key west. man did we do some drinkin. this summer at the bay for sure .

i would keep this project simple. solid small block power, swap in a 1:50 upper and do alittle somthin for a sunpad. not sure i would do a fairing, i had the same dilema with my scorpion. i really like the looks of a fairing but it sure is nice to run with the top up when you stuck out in bad weather. and we all know up here on lake erie it can kick up on ya out'a no where fast . on my little boat pictured above im just gonna cut the wind screen down a bit for looks.

tell ya what that 22 Scarab that Emotion mentioned sounds like a nice deal. those are great boats.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

You're going way past what I can imagine making any sense. You're starting with a hull that will not perform. You're planning to make extreme changes to the upper deck.

And why do you insist that it needs trim tabs? I had a 21' Wellcraft with a 260hp 350 and it didn't need tabs. All of my smaller boats didn't need tabs.

Hydraulic steering? Sure, it's a great idea but it isn't necessary for this boat and they typically steer stiffly around the docks. The standard power assist merc steering is fine. The boat isn't going to run but around 60, and if you run good componentry in the steering it won't be a problem.

I'll politely bow out of this discussion, as I feel you are going to put more time, effort, and money into it than you will enjoy.

If you ran a glass shop and were slow on productive work it would be different, but I don't think that is your situation (while it is GlassDave's).
Old 12-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Allan4

Bouy...let me know if I can help you out in anyway. Get ahold of Byron (Itllfli). His Dad has about 30 or 40 sbc's laying around...seriously....and I am betting you could pick up something sold from him for pretty cheap. He is real good on prices. he also might have alot of the odds and ends you will need for rigging.

I think you might be a little nutty to do this, but what the hay...I'll help ya...hahaha

Have fun, let me know.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
If you ran a glass shop and were slow on productive work it would be different, but I don't think that is your situation (while it is GlassDave's).

hey . . . who says i'm slow i do know what ya mean though. i have the ability and the means to do my oddball projects (an i think i have too many ). i would keep this a simple project, not alot of glasswork. make it a sleeper go-fast
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-12-2004, 05:27 PM
JnT
Registered

Sleeper would be cool! Power it with a hot SBC and leave the looks alone.Surprise a lot of people with it.

Last edited by JnT; 12-13-2004 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm stupid for doing this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.