Notices

Shipping outdrive

Old 12-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Shipping outdrive

Originally Posted by baronmarine
reddog i own a freight co.i can help you out call me thur. 7a-5p est or tonite after 9p. if its not to late.
thanks todd 616-682-0433
Todd,

I will call you Thursday.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 12-16-2004, 12:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by expresscat39
If you have something to ship LTL and do not have the ability to package etc you can bring it to the metropolis of Oak Harbor and we will ship it for you. Charge would be cost of pallet or any special packaging other than just std stuff we have laying around and exact freight cost.
Expresscat39,

Thanks for your offer. I will consider this if other options don't work out.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Registered

The unit clerk I'm working with tonight has a friend who works in administration for Roadway so I might have another good line on setting this up. Thanks to all for your suggestions and offers to help get this done!

Sincere Thanks,

Chris
Old 12-16-2004, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

Let me throw a little story in about a shipping claim. I quite often buy parts from competition products in oshkosh wis,3 yrs ago they had bought a TRUCKLOAD of merc marine warranty motors (ALL BBC"S ) and they were selling them as dissassembled complete cores. They would tear them down,inspect them,tell you what was damaged,give you a fair price and ship it pallatized with the crank in the block. I had bought three of them,got them with no problems and sold them to local hot rodders. A buddy of mine wanted one so i had him call up and order it himself and it showed up with the pallet broken in half (was blueline trucking or holland motor freight). Nothing appeared to be damaged but once he tore it down he discovered when they dropped it the CRANK HAD SNAPPED near counter weight next to # 1&2 rod journal. We called comp up,they said let's turn in a claim. It turns out because the parts were shipped as used automotive they were insured for 55 cents a POUND!!!! . So freight company gave my buddy 30 $ for his broken steel crank!!!(by the way,the gm 1053 steel crank snapped just like cast iron). My salesman there made good on it and sent another perfect crank but when we asked the trucking company how to avoid this from happening again they said used automotive is used automotive,you are unable to buy extra insurance beyond the weight and shipping category,period. I guess they have a category for each kind of item and it is insured by the pound accordingly if its not new. Now i find this hard to believe and i'm sure someone else out there can add to this but the point to all this is if you ship a used motor or outdrive by truck you need to ask,if this gets damaged or dissappears,EXACTLY HOW IS IT COVERED/INSURED?? On a side note,Max machine sent me a outdrive in june overnight air ups but they were real reluctant because they said they were having ALOT of problems with stuff getting busted up by ups.I was lucky and they shipped it in a original merc outdrive box that was extremely hd,it showed up with no damage. Part of the problem with shipping bravo outdrives whole by ups is they are real close to their 150lb weight limit bare which doesn't leave much leeway for alot of extra packaging. Best thing if shipping one ups is to seperate upper from lower and package seperately,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 12-16-2004 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Part of the problem with shipping bravo outdrives whole by ups is they are real close to their 150lb weight limit bare which doesn't leave much leeway for alot of extra packaging. Best thing if shipping one ups is to seperate upper from lower and package seperately,Smitty
Smitty,

I am basically having Max rebuild and upgrade a XR upper that was about ready to let go. Lube was black, smelled burnt, and had large metal shavings in it. I am sure the clutch is smoked. In addition, the lower had twisted vertical and prop shaft from previous owner's 950 H.P. blower motors and heavy throttle hand.

I would prefer to send just the upper, but the problem is that one of the lowers they did leaks drive lube between the upper/lower. I have reassembled this drive three times, the last using aviation sealer and it still leaks. I believe I am not getting enough compression of the O-ring in between. I'm not sure the shimming is adequate to raise the tab washer high enough to compress the O-ring. Aaron suggested I send the lower unit back and they will evaluate and correct the problem free of charge. I figured I might as well send it back and have them assemble it to the rebuilt upper.

I know you have extensive experience with Max and rebuilds. Any ideas what might be causing this problem (leaking)?

Last edited by RedDog382; 12-16-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDog382
Fund,

Would your fee be a tax-deductable charitable contribution?
yes, your receipt will say "The Human Fund."

In all seriousness, the wood box idea is the ticket. Make a lid with screws so that they can re-use the same box really easily. Put in a few cross members that will keep the drive in place and wrap those with your rubber stuff.
Write the weight on the outside of the crate so that the shipper doesn't try to move it without a truck and then drop it. Or better yet... Strap it to a pallet.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Registered

One thing to note if still using UPS (I have had bad luck with them also), is NOT to go to "the UPS Store". It is a franchise (most are old Mailboxes, etc) , not UPS themselves, and can set their own rates which are very high.

Try Staples, as most have a UPS shipping desk, and I have found the rates to be much lower than the UPS store. A UPS driver first turned me onto this saying off the record that UPS store rates were the worst he'd ever seen.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jaybird
One thing to note if still using UPS (I have had bad luck with them also), is NOT to go to "the UPS Store". It is a franchise (most are old Mailboxes, etc) , not UPS themselves, and can set their own rates which are very high.

Try Staples, as most have a UPS shipping desk, and I have found the rates to be much lower than the UPS store. A UPS driver first turned me onto this saying off the record that UPS store rates were the worst he'd ever seen.
True Dat.

I worked (in college) at a "Wrap and Ship."
Our shipping rates were about DOUBLE the UPS card rate.
And we scrwed people on packaging, too.

I wish I was a partner in that puppy.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to be a bellman at a hotel. There was a convention at NASA and a lot of spacey guys showed up, one had a $10,000.00 lense for his telescope in our package room. I was carefull with this thing all week and asked the UPS guy to load it upright, the thing had NASA and fragile and up stikers all over it. it was a tube crate about 4 feet tall and 16 inches in diameter. The UPS guy takes it out to his truck on a dolley and then perceded to throw it into his truck. He threw it so hard that it hit the back side of the cab and almost bounced back out of the truck. I *****ed him out about it and wouldn't sign for the pickup. His reply was if the guy can afford one he can buy another when this one shows up broken. What an *******, I'll never use UPS just because of this guy

Ernie
Old 12-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm sure there are a lot of conscientious UPS folks out there BUT supposedly UPS also stands for Untrained Package Smashers! Can ya imagine that?

Quick Reply: Shipping outdrive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.