Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel question? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/92550-duramax-6-6-turbo-diesel-question.html)

Harper220 12-15-2004 11:21 PM

Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel question?

I re-programmed my Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel with the highest level 3 option from Hypertech and the gains are to say the least, amazing. The turbo really winds up now and sings, but the Allison transmission seems to jump around a bit more, all though there's no option on the programmer to change the tranny or shift points. Am I headed for trouble or is this system pretty safe?

thunderusone 12-16-2004 12:05 AM

Re: Duramax 6.6 turbo diesel question?

The allison will be fine. It actually has to "re-learn" new shift patterns based on additional hp and torque at the input shaft. Run the heck out of it and it will get alot better in the next few days. If you think the Hypertech is impressive....step up to the Edge Juice with attitude. Almost double the tq of the hypertech. I have had them both....the edge smokes it!

animalhouse 12-16-2004 01:00 AM

I run the Edge w/ attitude on my '02, and the power is endless. The truck will burn the 305-50 - 20" tires off the rim. Need to get rid of the factory speed governer, any tips.

wannabe 12-16-2004 07:27 AM

I disagree with using #3, you will shorten the life of your trans. and axle. I would use #2 which stil;l gives you plenty of power.

Wannabe

44MTI 12-16-2004 09:59 AM

Bully Dog, It makes unbelieveable power, bypasses the speedlimiter, and they make an upgraded tranny (allison) that my friends are running with 600hp and 1200tq.

Raylar 12-16-2004 10:04 AM

We are doing development work on new Duramax hard parts and engine development. I will just give some careful advise. these motors and tranny's were engineered to produce about 400HP and 700ft/lbs of torque max and still give reasonable life. Be careful to keep your reprogram juicing safe and sane! When it comes time to rebuild these puppys, the norm will be $15K and thats if the core is good with no major broken parts. Also remeber that the new ECM's record all the changes to the program and they stay in the ECM's memory for up to 45 engine drive cycles. So if you have a major problem under warranty, the Dealers and GM may give you greif on your warranty. Just Ask Hypertech, Edge, Van Aiken, Banks, etc. if they are going to replace your busted diesel or driveline. Don't forget to get it in writing and read the fine print. I don't want to rain on your party, just remeber, everything in moderation! nothing in excess!
Ray @ Raylar

jordy 12-16-2004 10:13 AM

At the very minimum, if you're going to stay with the Hypertech or anything other than the Edge Juice/Attitude monitor, you should have a pyrometer at the bare minimum. More power comes from more fuel. More fuel equals more heat. In stock form pulling a heavy load you can burn the Duramax down, granted you really have to work to do it. It's more of a problem with a programmer that is increasing the fuel delivery.

As far as the $15K for a rebuild, seems to me you could pick up a long block for a lot less and just have it R&R'ed if you ever did have a problem. I've been running the Juice/Attitude on my truck for a year now, and don't think I've taken it out of 5 more than a couple times. Haven't had a lick of trouble with it. My understanding is because it runs behind the ECM that it's undetectable compared to the Hypertech/Superchips style programmers that reflash the PROM.

I had the Superchips on for 3 months or so and it was more of a pain in the ass than it was worth. Yeah it took out the top speed limiter, but honestly, I never ran it out. Right now, my truck on 285's tops out at 103. Seems to me that's plenty fast in a crew-cab 4x4. If I can't get whatever I'm trying to do done by the time I'm doing 103, then I need to rethink it. :cool:

Strip Poker 388 12-16-2004 11:50 AM

Edge Juice with attitude is what I am going to buy . Just trying to find a deal on one. Reatail is 899.00 J is 674.w/ the att.

They all tell me the trans is the week link in the higest settings the clutch plates and tourqe converter.

I have a bud thats stacking the Edge and some other name brand Ive never heard of . Both kits go at the programing in different ways the reson why .Hes running in the high 11's now :D .

boot 12-16-2004 11:51 AM

BD just came out with a speed limiter " UN- limiter" . It was discontinued ....... It probably wasnt't their's anyway . I think someone else has one too . Can't remember who right now .

The trans does need to "learn " BUt I would recomend NOT beating on it untill it does ....... You can cause serious over rev on the engine and huge pressure spikes in the trans ! Drive it normal until it learns how to keep up . It may take 100-300 miles . Programmers have LOTS of down sides to them . I would use it carefuly and on a lower setting. GET SOME EXTRA GAUGES TOO ! Do you an an after market exhaust and air filter ? If not ,Get one ..... Exhaust temp is not the only thing to worry about . Back pressure on the turbo from a restricted exhaust can cause as much damage also . When your building a HOT ROD , build all of it .
YOu wouldn't just stick a 14-71 blower on your boat without doing exhaust would you ???? :p Good luck with it , Joe

boot 12-16-2004 11:55 AM

Edge with attitude works nice on that truck .