Notices

Which camera to buy?

Old 12-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Which camera to buy?

Originally Posted by jeaston
Played with them a little in photoshop. Will probably always a Canon guy.

The Canon you have is very highly rated and you know what Canon lenses to buy. I admire Canon for having DSLR systems that are very affordable albeit they include middle of the road lenses not made in Japan on some.

Your point made earlier of having not to deal with a magnifier is a good one. But the fact the focusing unit is not on the camera at least on some models is a drawback on using third party lenses. Sigmas work great on Nikons as the focusing unit is on the body.

Right now as we speak Nikon is raking it in with the D-70. Any camera shop you call and ask about a dslr instantly says D-70.

Don't tell Troutly but when the price goes down a bit and it is expected to go down about
$ 150-200 and I can get a body for $ 700 I will have one...too

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-18-2004 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is with the FZ-20 and the Canon TL-55 plus full digital zoom taken from about 1/4 of a mile away. So that would be like 860mm. Handheld with the lens stabilizer on.
Attached Thumbnails Which camera to buy?-cider-mill-014.jpg  
Old 12-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which camera to buy?

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
The Canon you have is very highly rated and you know what Canon lenses to buy. I admire Canon for having DSLR systems that are very affordable albeit they include middle of the road lenses not made in Japan on some.

You point of having not to deal with a magnifier is a good one. But the fact the focusing unit is not on the camera at least on some models is a drawback on using third party lenses. Sigmas work great on Nikons as the focusing unit is on the body.

Right now as we speak Nikon is raking it in with the D-70. Any camera shop you call and ask about a dslr instantly says D-70.

Don't tell Troutly but when the price goes down a bit and it is expected to go down about
$ 150-200 and I can get a body for $ 700 I will have one...too
Your right, tried the sigmas but never had much luck with them. I won't say a word to Troutly, will be interesting to see what the prices do after Christmas. Several of the Canons are just large and a pain to haul unless you have a shoot, Dind the 10d with a 28/105 pretty handy for taking for just snapshots.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by TopSpin80
Panasonic's site show the FZ15 and FZ20 to have ED lenses... so my choice is between them. I have a digital movie camera, so the FZ15 not having sound doesn't bother me. The flash makes no difference to me, I could get a slave flash I guess if I really needed one, I have never used flashes before all my pictures are outdoors at boat races and pokerruns. The only difference to me is 4 and 5 megapixel.... will the 4 look good printing 8x10??? I went and used bothe camera's today and can't tell the difference... by the way the burst mode on these cameras is awesome...my wife even liked it.

here are the pictures... fz15 here
the flag view is hand held at 12x zoom

Ernie
As far as a 4MP vs a 5 MP... you will get a "photo quality" picture up to 8x10 with 4Mp and with 5 MP a "photo quality" picture up to 11x14.

If you need to do a lot of cropping and save in TIFF files the FZ-20 was the first with that feature. The other Panasonic cameras compress only. Before TIFF files I could not hold a candle to the D-70 in cropping. TIFF leveled the playing field a lot with the FZ-20 and it's competition. It's not too often the best "under a grand camera" costs only 500 bucks.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-18-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Troutly
I beg to differ!!!! You can clearly see the hot blonde flashing her rack in that upper window in the Nikon D70 picture making it a FAR SUPERIOR camera!!!!

Case closed!!!
.....in mine you can't tell if it is a rack for sure or if she is bending over...

..I can now see the rack in yours if I look closely..

yup you win...and she is somebody i know too!

can you zoom in more please?

...fyi taken with a Nikon 35mm and put on disk..who cares about cameras anymore....I am so done with this!!
Attached Thumbnails Which camera to buy?-0468.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-18-2004 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I beg to differ!!!! You can clearly see the hot blonde flashing her rack in that upper window in the Nikon D70 picture making it a FAR SUPERIOR camera!!!!

Case closed!!!
This has been the best pi**ing contest I have seen in years Troutly. Everybody is confused...I went through a six pack of Bud...
Old 12-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

This should prove who has the best zoom Troutly...I zoomed in on Reggie at the kilo run...you can see the 177mph pass blew the fibers out of his Toupe'.

I suppose you can beat that too???
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-18-2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I have to buy a camera and now, I was out driving around, Thought I wouldn'd see anything... there were about 7-8 offshore boats on the lake and the big Predator aluminum cat was out.. I stopped and talked him... there was also a 27 excalibur like ours, but with outboards... I missed a lot of good photo's today.... all these threads are driving me nuts... FZ15 has TIFF mode so I am going with it..... I already bought an extra batery

Ernie

just pressed the buy button....

pretty good deal.... $390.90 with 3 day shipping at Butterflyphoto

I'll get some "parts" for it after x-mas... hopefully the christmas pictures will be good

Last edited by TopSpin80; 12-18-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Audio....hear that!? Hydro is calling your crank a can of tuna! LMAO!!
God damn it his women said that she would not tell him that!!!!
Old 12-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by TopSpin80
well I have to buy a camera and now, I was out driving around, Thought I wouldn'd see anything... there were about 7-8 offshore boats on the lake and the big Predator aluminum cat was out.. I stopped and talked him... there was also a 27 excalibur like ours, but with outboards... I missed a lot of good photo's today.... all these threads are driving me nuts... FZ15 has TIFF mode so I am going with it..... I already bought an extra batery

Ernie
Then if you can get a good deal on an FZ-15 take it!

Should be around $375-400?

The best deal on the FZ-20 is $ 500 I think.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-18-2004 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Which camera to buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.