Notices

Oil Changers

Old 12-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Oil Changers

Is there anybody here using one of the permanently mounted oil changing systems in their boat? If so, what brand and how do you like it? I have always used the portable setup that is basically a 5 gallon bucket with a pump on top, but I am considering installing a system in the boat to make things a little easier and a little more convenient.

Also, has anybody figured out a way to make one of these permanent systems work for the transmissions as well? We have another one of the portable bucket/pump setups for the transmissions, but I figure that it can never hurt to feel out all of the options.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil Changers

Reverso has a nice set-up that you can manifold for the trannys too. Good, strong pump, nice hardware and a price that's fair.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Install a set of prelubers then you can have oil pressure before you start and also drain the oil with a flip of a switch. It's the only way to go!!
Old 12-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Edward R. Cozzi: I have looked at Reverso and it seems to be a nice setup. Are you using one of these systems?

mr_velocity: I have also been looking at pre-lubers, but never considered them for oil changes. The only one that I have looked at was made by Master Lube, but I don't see how this particular setup will pump out the oil to change it. It seems that these only move the oil from the pan to the pre-luber when the engine is running. What brand are you using?

Thank you both for the info.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

HD, I just have the Mercury drain kits on my motors. They come from the factory that way. I realize you don't have stock power, but no reason they would not work. Its simple and nothing to break. It has a line that you extend out the bilge drain hole and drop into a container. I usually let mine drain for a couple days during the week, and then refill before the weekend. I think the pre-lubers are sweet, but they are pricy and take a while to install. If you want it to drain a little faster, warm up the engine first on the hose. The kits have been discussed on here before and cost about $50 per motor.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:57 PM
Registered

Not sure of the brand, it is an electric pump that pull the oil from the pan and pushes it throught the oil filter. It has a quick disconnect fitting that I can pull to pump all the oil out. I need to look tonight, they came with a module that would automatically start the pump when you turned the ignition key on and run again after you turned it off, I guess for turbo applicaitons. I removed that and just use a toggle switch.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Reverso has a nice set-up that you can manifold for the trannys too. Good, strong pump, nice hardware and a price that's fair.
I have this set up and love it! I have twins and I just ran tubing from the oil pans to the reverso manifold, to the pump, and from the pump to bucket. You can drain both motors at once, change filters, refill all in about 15 min. The pump can also put oil back in.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Registered

Here you go, this is the only way to go. Easy oil changes and never a dry start.

http://www.pre-luber.com/

My system is 10 years old now, never a problem. I think the company has changed hands over the past few years.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Corona

Trick Marine makes a really nice pre-oiler system that you can also use for oil changes. Money well spent.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Corona
Trick Marine makes a really nice pre-oiler system that you can also use for oil changes. Money well spent.
Thank you all for the information. All of these setups look to be easier than the old pump on the bucket!

Last edited by Hot Duck; 12-07-2004 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Changers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.