Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350 >

Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350

Notices

Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350

Old 12-09-2004, 05:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you use a Prodigy Electric Brake Controller??

I'm looking into Electric Brake Controllers for the inside of my F350 2002. I see there is a connector under the dash from factory, is this where it plugs in? Also, when I buy one of these controllers, will it plug right into this connector or do they sell these things based on what vehicle you have? I was looking on ebay and they don't seem to be specific to vehicle type, are all the connectors in the vehicles the same from factory? Then I see there are some that are automatic leveling and some or not, what are your recommendations?

Last edited by East Coast B; 12-17-2004 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Need help!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350

You should have a pigtail somewhere in the truck to wire to any brake controller. I wired my brother-in-laws '02 Chevy Duramax last summer for a trip to California. I put a Techosha (sp?) in my '01 F-350 and really like it. I was told it was the only brand compatible with the electric over hydraulic brakes on my Eagle trailer.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:23 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your Ford SD should have a package in the glove box that includes a couple of fuses and relays that will have to be plugged in the fuse box next to the power brake booster. This will make all the pins in the round 7 pin plug active. Other wise just the stop, turn and tail lights will work. The electric brake, back up, and 12v supply pins are not, until the relys are plugged in. Not sure why Ford does not just go ahead and install them at the factory. Also inside that package should be a wire harness with some leads to hook to a controller. That harness plugs into the square plug you see that is behind the lower left hand side dash panel.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Race Fast, Race Safe!!!!
Platinum Member

Get a Tekonsha. It is one of the best brands on the market. I use the Prodigy. It will handle up to 3 axles and cost around $100 to $150 depending on where you buy it. It comes with a wiring harness if your vehicle wasn't originally equipped with a tow package, but you can get the connector plugs for a little extra to plug right into your tow vehicle.
I bought an extra holder for mine, and I switch it between the truck and the motorhome.
It is self leveling, and is the electronic pendulum style (faster deceleration in truck is more brakes for trailer).

Hope this helps
Old 12-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Your Ford SD should have a package in the glove box that includes a couple of fuses and relays that will have to be plugged in the fuse box next to the power brake booster. This will make all the pins in the round 7 pin plug active. Other wise just the stop, turn and tail lights will work. The electric brake, back up, and 12v supply pins are not, until the relys are plugged in. Not sure why Ford does not just go ahead and install them at the factory. Also inside that package should be a wire harness with some leads to hook to a controller. That harness plugs into the square plug you see that is behind the lower left hand side dash panel.

Just to clarify. You still need to buy a controller, right? The pigtail is to hook to the controller and the relays and fuses are to activate everything. corrrrect?
Old 12-09-2004, 06:38 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Payton. correct
Old 12-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, I'll check for the extra parts you reference. The prodigy is the one I'm looking at.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

East Coast,

I sell and install these things for a living. Do yourself a huge favor and purchase a standard digital controller. You life will be MUCH easier in the long run. I can't tell you how user friendly these units are.

It's not uncommon for me to remove 2-3 of the pendulum style brake controllers a week and re-install the digital units for customers. The analog style can be very moody.

If you don't know the difference, the mentioned Prodigy will be an analog/pendulum style unit.

Buck
Old 12-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Registered

I don't have a bag of extra parts, though I found a bag with a one ended wiring harness. Though it's not the same fit as the connector poking out the bottom of my dash board. The one in the bag is a six prong rectangular connector, the one sticking out under the dash is a longer rectangular connector. Strange.....
Old 12-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Sounds like someone already installed the relays and fuses,or lost them, but didn't use the wire harness. That wire harness is what you need. Remove the lower "fuse" dash panel. The mating plug is behind there. The long plug you are looking at is the computer diagnostis plug. You should also have an instruction sheet in the package.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-09-2004 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Electric Brake Controller Advice for F350

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.