Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   50W Mobil 1 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/92791-50w-mobil-1-a.html)

Mentalpause 12-20-2004 06:27 PM

Re: 50W Mobil 1

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I did't know Mobil sold straight weight Synthetic oil commercially. I know they may to the aviation industry in tanker truck fills. Let me know your findings. They also use 0W30 Racing mostly at INDY and NASCAR..everybody seems to be going towards lighter weight viscosities. The new Mercedes Benz McLaren takes Mobil's 5W-50; it must be a new formulation I have not seen it on the shelf.

http://www.exxonmobil.co.uk/UK-Engli...xom_201003.asp

There is no doubt that Mobil is the most researched Synthetic oil for production car and aviation usage. Mobil is at INDY; NASCAR; Benz; Porsche'...they do their homework. That is why I trust the brand so much.

I was told by Wilbus Marine (LOTO) this weekend that Ilmor ships their marine engines with straight 50W Mobil 1 racing oil. Maybe I misunderstood, but I asked for clarification since I have always used 15W50 M1. And was told again it was straight 50W. I asked him where he was buying it and he said O'Reillys. Only problem is there is no O'Reillys around me. I'l keep looking around, but can't find any reference to 50W M1 anywhere either. I may just ask Ilmor.

Hydrocruiser 12-20-2004 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
I was told by Wilbus Marine (LOTO) this weekend that Ilmor ships their marine engines with straight 50W Mobil 1 racing oil. Maybe I misunderstood, but I asked for clarification since I have always used 15W50 M1. And was told again it was straight 50W. I asked him where he was buying it and he said O'Reillys. Only problem is there is no O'Reillys around me. I'l keep looking around, but can't find any reference to 50W M1 anywhere either. I may just ask Ilmor.

FYI

I talked to the sales rep at Illmor a few months back. The Viper uses 10W-30 Mobil-1 and the Illmor marine conversion 10W-40 Mobil-1. I was going to get a pair as a power upgrade but you need new drives too. The engines put out too much torque for a bravo 1 so imco's or platinum Teagues or #6's which is what they were originally tested with is what ya need.

I am beginning to think 10W-40 Mobil-1 is probably fine for most marine engines. It doesn't shear down. The new 5W-50 Mobil-1 may be a good choice as well. I would save the 20W-50's for engines that have been tuned and are pushing the limits. Mobil-1 15W-50 is fine of course. Just my .02

Steet 12-20-2004 07:08 PM

My Ilmors came with 15w50 mobile one. That is what is on the filler cap.
I bought four 5 quart jugs of oil at Walmart about 6 weeks ago for $18.66 per jug. It was cheaper than buying it in the quart bottles. I catch it on sale several times a year.

Mentalpause 12-20-2004 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Steet
I bought four 5 quart jugs of oil at Walmart about 6 weeks ago for $18.66 per jug. It was cheaper than buying it in the quart bottles. I catch it on sale several times a year.

That makes it easy. Thanks.

Are you using the Mobil 1 filter with your engines?

Mentalpause 12-20-2004 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Steet

Steet, are you happy with your Ilmors? Is your Velocity the one they have pictures of the engines etc on the Ilmor site?

Lmarth 12-20-2004 08:07 PM

I bought a bunch of 5qt 15w-50 SuperSyn @ Walmarts last week on sale for $19.84/jug versus normal price of just over $22. Don't know if that was a national sale or local.

Hydrocruiser 12-20-2004 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lmarth
I bought a bunch of 5qt 15w-50 SuperSyn @ Walmarts last week on sale for $19.84/jug versus normal price of just over $22. Don't know if that was a national sale or local.

One thing is for certain. Of all the synthetic oils we on "oso" seem to be using in our boats...15W-50 Mobil-1 seems to be the most widely used product.

I have not ever heard of one problem...makes me think it's a safe sure fire way to go!

It's extra protection and reasonably priced in bulk. I am totally sold on Mobil-1 filter as well because they flow and Trap well; can't have one without the other.

Hydrocruiser 12-20-2004 09:56 PM

Steet, are you happy with your Ilmors? Is your Velocity the one they have pictures of the engines etc on the Ilmor site?

I would be interested in feedback too. In offshore it seems that the more cubes or cylinders you have going the better. The 12 cylinder Lambo's were great durability engines..these have been proven at Le Mans to go the distance. Viper engines put out a lot of heat...any issues there?

The question now is which outdrive? The make tons of torque...Teague Platinums look like a good match.

I like the engines mostly for the torque they hammer out.

They really sound good too! It's nice to see Chrysler/Dodge back into the game....Ford has a couple great truck engines that would be nice to see back out. Donzi's ran Ford engines and the 460's cranked.

2112 12-21-2004 12:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ford no longer produces pushrod engines. Their SVO catalog is full of big block parts though. Imagine a large version of a Robert Yates NASCAR motor.

I have run them for years in three different boats, well technically I am currently rigging the Gladiator as I speak. Here is a pic of my fountain's BB's

Steet 12-22-2004 05:39 PM

Yes, that is the boat. I am very pleased with the Ilmors. They are very user friendly and better than my previous 500EFI as far as fuel economy. They are at least 25% more fuel efficient than the mercruisers. I am not a dodge person, as I have always been GM, but for now I am very happy. Ilmor are great people to deal with.