30 Spectre
29.90%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

28 Skater/AMT/Spectre

Old 11-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28 Skater/AMT/Spectre

Ive been looking at used cats in the 30 ft range with outboards.
Please help me out with some comparisons on these three models. I have an offer in on a Skater but they are going for quite a hefty premium. Basically you can pick up an '05 Spectre w/ 300x's for the same money as an '00 Skater w/ 300Promax's. AMT's are just hard to find in the used pleasure market.
Are the Skaters worth the premium?
Are the AMT's worth the wait?
How do the Spectre hang in there with an outboard set-up?

My boating area consists of lakes, Barnaget Bay NJ, and the Hudson River.
Thanks for the feedback.

(there is a similar post in the Spectre forum but Im bringing it here for more exposure)
Old 11-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: 28 Skater/AMT/Spectre

Skaters are all out performance.
Amt likes the rougher stuff.
Spectre has all the amenities
Old 11-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know my thoughts! 28 Skater wil be the fastest that is not even a question. The 30 Spectre is still an awesome boat. The boat is quite a bit larger than the Skater in width and length. I rode in a 30 spectre 3 weeks ago in 2-3 footers. The boat rode awesome, seemed very stable. I also had my boat out, well he had 225's vs my 300's and with me having the faster boat anyway it wasnt even a contest. That was the first real test I have had for my 28 Skater in semi rough water. The ride was incredible, something you have to experience to believe. As you know the 28 is very light and after 96 (I believe) made from epoxy which creates a pretty stiff feeling. I am now used to this feeling but at first it was quite different. The AMT is the boat I had wish I looked at but there were only 2 for sale at the time. I hear they are great boats. The Skater will still be faster of course but if speed is not all your about you should check out the other brands. I am very happy I chose the Skater, yes they are pretty expensive although I got a pretty good deal on mine. One more thing about the AMT, not having a rub rail looks awesome, but I put 100 hours/year on the boat and I know in those 100 hours I will rub up against many piers. I would really not like the fact of not having that rub rail in place. I have seem 1 AMT with the rub rail so that may be an option.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Registered

About the price of the 28, if you are comparing that to the price of the boat for sale in North Carolina I think you will find lower prices than that. That boat has been for sale now for over a year.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Registered

your not man enough for any of those three rigs. if i were you, id pick my self up a bayliner.... more your speed... your buddy dave
Old 11-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Registered

Does anyone know how many AMT's have been produced?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Registered

Tanturm if you buy a Skater you will never have a hard time selling it. Buy anything else and you will see how it feels to take a big loss on a boat. That's the reason Skaters have the highest resale.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

No question on which one to by if it were me. Skater all the way.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Skater is building a 30 now. I believe the first one is now complete (or very close to it). If you want to wait, I'm sure Peter would love to build you one. Judging by the plug I saw at the factory, it is nothing like the 28 other than it will be fast! It's quite a bit bigger... taller and wider than the 28.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Just wondering why not too many people mention the 32 Skater outboard version? It is only 2" or so wider, 4' longer, seems like this would be a great boat with twin 300s. The only one I know of has four 2.5s on it.

Quick Reply: 28 Skater/AMT/Spectre

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.