Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Redesigned 2005 Skater 24' (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/93323-redesigned-2005-skater-24-a.html)

JCPERF 12-28-2004 06:01 PM

Re: Redesigned 2005 Skater 24'

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Sean H
jc are you talking about this boat or a race boat?

This the old Recovery that was sold to Ohio steel.Al copeland now owns this boat. It was in Key West this year.It had a cut down deck on the sides.The thinking was that it would be more stable and aerodynamic.Stuart Hayim used this boat in Sarasota for one race and sold it after the race.It didnt turn out to be a good design.

Sean H 12-28-2004 06:04 PM

i see..... thanks did they figure out what the problem was? aero? i assume it has the same bottom.....

JCPERF 12-28-2004 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
i see..... thanks did they figure out what the problem was? aero? i assume it has the same bottom.....

I was told from Joey that it was an out in out PIG.It didnt handle like they thought.I think it was more of a CG issue with the boat instead of an aerodynamic problem.

Sean H 12-28-2004 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF
I was told from Joey that it was an out in out PIG.It didnt handle like they thought.I think it was more of a CG issue with the boat instead of an aerodynamic problem.

i always wonder why more guys haven't cut down cats that don't have cabins anyway... maybe that is why....

DPT MOTORSPORTS 12-28-2004 06:27 PM

Too Old,

No pricing on the listing I found these pics at. Try www.lakecumberlandmarine.com. There was not any pricing listed for this boat but look for a number if you really want the price. Hope this helps.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-28-2004 06:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DPT MOTORSPORTS
I am sure that Peter has a reasoning for the slope design. I would tend to think that the slope actually makes the boat more like a wing as that is what the tunnel basicly is. You can see that he does the same thing on a few of the other models.

Ever since Peter saw the saw the Bullet 130, his deck lines started taking a sloping shape.... :drink: :D :D :D

J/Kidding......... ;)

DPT MOTORSPORTS 12-28-2004 07:03 PM

Anyone ever run a single outboard on a 24 Skater????? I know they did it on the 21' but never have seen it on the 24'. I would think it would run pretty well.

Rik 12-28-2004 07:09 PM

The 46' that Copeland has was never rigged before he purchased the boat. It was one of the first of the "Cut Down Decks".

The "Ohio Steel" boat was sold to Wil Wingert who has been trying to convert it to Turbines.

Both boats look very similar but they are different. No handling problems with Copelands.

The 24' in the photo's is merely a flat decked 24'. Nothing more/less

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-28-2004 07:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Looks like it could get a lot of downforce on the nose.

When the boat is running at the proper attitude, the nose would probably be level creating less downforce on the nose but more lift at the stern as the air flows over its wing shape design it creates lift.

Just to use the Bullet as an example.
Seeing it on the trailer everyone says the same thing. "Damn that bow dives down sharply."

But look close at the pics and the boat has the bow level.... ;)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 12-28-2004 07:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DPT MOTORSPORTS
Anyone ever run a single outboard on a 24 Skater????? I know they did it on the 21' but never have seen it on the 24'. I would think it would run pretty well.

Yes DPT.

There was one at the SOB Awards with I think a 300 X with a shorty midsection on it. Was running in the 80's I believe? :confused: