Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Made an offer? Your Thoughts? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/93347-made-offer-your-thoughts.html)

Edward R. Cozzi 12-29-2004 10:24 AM

Re: Made an offer? Your Thoughts?

When buying think of the Golden Rule: "He with the Gold Rules". Make your offer subject to survey, sea trial, engine survey, financing and insurance. This way if ANY of those do not meet your expectations, you can get your whole deposit back with minimum hassle.
Beware of people involved with your deal that have a vested interest. The real estate broker I was using on 10 acres in Davie made me miss a deal by not presenting my offer while trying to get a higher one.
Trust the least amount of people necessary.

Tbonepmp 12-29-2004 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Too Old
Tell the broker you'd like him to present the offer anyway. If the owner doesn't like it, he can counter.

It's winter. It's a buyers market.

Exactly...

ratman 12-29-2004 03:12 PM

tell the broker you don't want to offend the seller youd like to up your offer to 225,500.00 tell the broker the extra 500 is so the seller can celibrate the sale of his boat in the middle of winter OR not... brokers are like rats that walk upright. boats, cars, real estate,etc. youi can never make youor 2nd offer lower than the first, so start low. a friend of mine would offer people half of waht they were asking for thier boats and 50% of the sellers came back with a counter. the others got indignant or thought he was an a hole. took a few months but he finnaly got a super sweet deal... just my 02

fund razor 12-29-2004 03:22 PM

$5,000 is insulting. $225,000 is a reasonable offer.

This broker is a knob.

jdnca1 12-29-2004 03:34 PM

I made an offer on a house several months ago that had been on the market for awhile, divorce, ( a Dr. who was boinking his nurse or something) listed way high....come down a bunch, etc, etc. My wife and I went through the house and decided we were not even going to make an offer...we'd just rather build for that kind of money and get exactly what we wanted....WELL, our agent relayed this to the listing agent...the listing agent said "this guy is desperate to sell, he has to pay off wife, lives in Florida now, 2 mortgages, etc, etc, make him an offer you'll be surprised." We thought what the hell if you put it too us that way...so we lobbed in an offer 10% below his recently lowed offering price . He countered at 1% off his asking. At this point I thought that I really didn't want the house that bad and I wasn't going to play games so I'll counter once and thats it. I came up about 4% and told my agent to let the other agent know that "this is our final offer, we will not come back again." Well the guy comes off another 2% then tells our agent that he "is a little perturbed at my negociating tactics." I told my agent oh well, we wouldn't have even made an offer if he hadn't asked us to...and we really didn't want the house that bad. So I told her to let him know that we were withdrawing our offer, good luck. The guy tried to counter us again and we didn't even respond....my thought was we gave him our price, he didn't have to sell it if he didn't want to and we didn't want to waste a lot of time. To make a long story short, the guy sat on the house for another 2 months and ended up taking .002% less than our last offer. I still smile about that deal that wasn't, BUT I didn't care if we got the house so emotionally it was no big deal.

Audiofn 12-29-2004 04:19 PM

Let me know the boat info. I will offer 50K less then you then you can call up and your offer will sound like a great offer :D:D

RHC 12-29-2004 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ratman
tell the broker you don't want to offend the seller youd like to up your offer to 225,500.00 tell the broker the extra 500 is so the seller can celibrate the sale of his boat in the middle of winter OR not... brokers are like rats that walk upright. boats, cars, real estate,etc. youi can never make youor 2nd offer lower than the first, so start low. a friend of mine would offer people half of waht they were asking for thier boats and 50% of the sellers came back with a counter. the others got indignant or thought he was an a hole. took a few months but he finnaly got a super sweet deal... just my 02

Wrong!!! Tell the Knob that your offer will be good for 48hrs ,, if the seller does not respond then you will lower the offer daily, for one week then you will withdraw it !!!!

No deal is over until the cash is on the table .... when your happy ,, then its a good deal

RHC

mkramer 12-29-2004 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by RHC
Wrong!!! Tell the Knob that your offer will be good for 48hrs ,, if the seller does not respond then you will lower the offer daily, for one week then you will withdraw it !!!!

No deal is over until the cash is on the table .... when your happy ,, then its a good deal

RHC

Good idea :evilb:

Rocky Dell 12-29-2004 07:48 PM

The 3 boats you listed as being sold averaged $238k and 6 months to almost a year have gone by. This guy is asking $320k, he's out of his mind and YOU should have been insulted that he even muttered $320k.

Based on the $238k average, he should have grabbed the $225k and ran. In my opinion, I would have offered the guy $200k and he should have come back with $250k. Eventually, the two of you should have split the difference and hence, $225k would be the selling price.

It doesn't matter if it's a car, boat, or house. The negotiations are an art and a professional salesperson knows how to handle a potential buyer. It's give and take on both sides. The salesperson must make the buyer feel that they got a good deal no matter what. How many times have you heard your neighbor come home after buying a car and say.........Man, did I get screwed. No way. They always say they got a heck of a deal and just couldn't pass it up. That's when a professional salesperson did his job.

This salesperson is a joke. He doesn't know the market. Books are only guides. In the car business we have all kinds of books, Blue Books, Black Books, Yellow Books and Galves. Most of the wholesale ones come out every week. You would think that they are right on the money. WRONG! The true market value of a car is what it is selling for at the auction. It's what the buyers are willing to pay. Same with a house and with this boat. The market value is no where near $320,000.00. Wait a little longer and you might have that salesman knocking on your door for a whole lot less then your original offer.

Good Luck.
Rocky
(31 yrs of negotiating experience)

drypipetiger 12-29-2004 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Let me know the boat info. I will offer 50K less then you then you can call up and your offer will sound like a great offer

:D:D