Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Made an offer? Your Thoughts? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/93347-made-offer-your-thoughts.html)

Keith 12-30-2004 05:50 AM

Re: Made an offer? Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
Well the broker makes a comission as a percent of sale I bet so that is some incentive for him to want a higher offer. I don't know how boat brokers are regulated but a RE agent has to present an offer no matter how poor.

Von hit the nail on the head. The owner will probably never know you even made the offer. Commission is the motivating factor, the broker will make 10% of $325k, or 10% of $225k ?? So he's motivated to get the higher price. Then again, he's not paying the storage fees, boat payment, insurance, etc., so no motivation to sell at a lower price.

Find out who owns the boat, contact them directly. Use the USCG Documentation Certificate search function, or another broker to search the registration numbers. If you really want the boat, dig deeper and get to the owner level.

enticer 12-30-2004 06:20 AM

Here is what ABOS has to say..........not much:

Make Fairline Boats
ModelYear 1999
Model Targa 43
Draft 39"
Boat Type Yacht
Net Weight inc. engine 18500
Horsepower 2-359D
Hull Material Fiberglass
Hull Length 45 ft 1 in
Beam width 12 ft 5 in
Engine IB
Original MSRP 420,124.00
Low Trade-in 0.00
High Trade-in 0.00
Retail Price 0.00

If it is any help to you........

NADA.......which doesn't mean much:
Low Retail $232,750
Average Retail $280,450

DollaBill 12-30-2004 08:31 AM

FYI-

If you contact the owner direct and bypass the broker while the owner has a central listing agreement in place, the owner will have to pay the commission PERIOD. Additionally, if you made an offer through the broker (which you did) the commission is due even when the central listing runs out.

Just thought I would save you the time and frustration when you get ready to close the deal and the whole thing comes to a stop due to breach of contract.

If the broker is a member of YBAA (Yacht Brokers Association of America) or a Florida licensed "Salesman" or "Broker", he is obligated to present all offers in a timely manner. If he does not he can face anything from a discipline letter to revocation of his license and bonding.

Keith 12-30-2004 08:49 AM

Perhaps I should have stipulated that in my post. Contacting the owner does not mean "no commission payment" if the deal goes through. However it does ensure an offer gets to the owner. Despite the YBAA or any other licensing authorities, some offers don't always make it.

With that said, I should also point out not all brokers are dishonest in that respect. There are a few who create the problem, making it bad for all. It's a perception issue, and not just in the marine industry.

CAP071 12-30-2004 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Let me know the boat info. I will offer 50K less then you then you can call up and your offer will sound like a great offer :D:D

Yea we will all call up and make crazy low offers today :D

h2owarrior 12-30-2004 08:02 PM

Here is the link to the boats.com listing. The broker indicated the seller would not respond to my offer. I wonder if the broker is giving the seller bad advice as the offer was realistic.

http://www.boats.com/listing/cache/l...=24&Search.y=9

VeeCat 12-31-2004 03:36 PM

I have a 2001 46 Sea Ray Sundancer with cherry wood interior, more space and better layout than the Fairline or Sunseeker with upgraded Cat power. Used in Freshwater only, less than two hundred hours every option available including hydraulic swim platform that lowers into the water. Upgraded Full Electronics and priced right asking more but 325k will buy it. Check a site called Yachtworld.com for comps on this and other Express cruisers. This is a great buy on a cream puff.
I also have a gas powered 2002 Sea Ray 41DA in the 200's asking 279k make an offer and see what happens. These are both turn key perfect boats period.
I would also recommend the Sunseeker over the Fairline for resale value. One other boat you might want to consider if, gas power is an option, that is really cool and fast would be the 39 Donzi. I also have this boat available with 500EFI's 60mph.
And YES,
your boker should submit your offer even if he knows it will be turned down or has had similar offers rejected. Sometimes timing affects things. What was turned down yesterday might be just the ticket today. Also the offer would at least be countered.
My 2 cents

tomtbone1993 12-31-2004 03:37 PM

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...89&slim=quick&

here is alot of boat for the money, completely redone in 03, engines, interior, appliances, ect ect

h2owarrior 12-31-2004 04:32 PM

Thanks for the reply VeeCat. We have looked at Searays and although they are very nice boats, there are just too many of them out there. I want something a little more unique.

tomtbone, your boat looks nice, but it is simply too old....not saying that is bad....just not what we are looking for.

Got an email from the broker today. The brokerage firm is trying to sell it as a 2001 since that is when it was commissioned. I am not sure the customer really understands the situation he is in with this firm. The boat is a 1999 that took two years to sell new. Boat was actually built in July of 1998. They are telling the guy he should get 2001 pricing since that is when the boat was commissioned.

I feel sorry for the seller. I also feel sorry for the uninformed individual that pays the price they expect.

I am on to other things :D

tomtbone1993 12-31-2004 04:37 PM

have you looked at bluewaters?