Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Gladiator with diesels - speed? >

Gladiator with diesels - speed?

Notices

Gladiator with diesels - speed?

Old 01-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gladiator with diesels - speed?

Toffen.

Why not go for marinediesel`s In a Gladiator. If the weight is a problem for this boat.

A Tigershark Marine diesel weigh`s no more than a big block V8

The prize for an engine like that is much more reasonable than the Yanmar engines. + they have the same boltpattern as a v8 gasoline engine so you can easily adapt them to bravo drives.

MY hammerhead has now run 250 hrs and I have had no problems with it at al.

Exept for a broken motormount. But I think it had to do with some seroius beating over skagerak sea.

Marinediesel put 2 hammerhead 300hp in a scarab centerconsolle.
At wot it went 81 miles.

http://www.dbdmarine.com/gallery/casestudies.htm

There is a movie clip of this boat as well on this site.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Registered

OK, so we're talking about the same motor, the 6LY 440hp. which will go up to either 480 or 500hp, probably depending on where you gauge the output. I'm guessing 500 at the crank. I believe that there's still a problem with engine compartment space. Being a straight-6 motor, it's relatively long compared to its width. Bearing in mind that you also need a trannie because there is no way you can run a Bravo or anything like it, you're very likely to run out of space. The new ASD6 with a trannie in the extension box could have been the answer but Yanmars have too much torque for that. Gotta step up to ASD8s. So you will run out of space, length to be precise.

I know that when Hustler made their 388 with 440s and ASD8s, the engine compartment had to be extended and bulkhead moved at the expense of cockpit space. I'm guessing that a Gladiator does not have a larger engine compartment than the 388 Slingshot. If that is correct, there is definitely a space problem.

BTW, the drives on that Sonic (first derivative) are SDS drives by France Helices. My experience with those is: you're better off with Arnesons or Trimax...
Old 01-06-2005, 02:36 AM
Registered

BTW, I'm not sure how well a Gladiator would handle the extra weight and surface drives. That boat was designed with outdrives in mind and it works pretty damn well with that. If you suddenly start configuring a boat with stuff that's very much an after-thought, you're very likely to mess it up. And that's exactly what the deal with that Sonic is. And is especially so with stepped hulls. You can't throw the CG all over the place and expect the bottom to be ventilated correctly, like it was designed to be...
Old 01-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to say that the Cig would fit any better, but Hustler used a 2 speed box which took an additional 7" over a standard single speed transmission.

That alone is a lot of realestate.

Typical Yanmar installation with single speed transmission requires 62" of space to fit into the boat.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Pretty wild looking drives on that Sonic, I'm guessing that the steering is done through the top mount along with the trim??
I'd love to get into a 38 plus boat with diesels that will take the rough and do 80 plus,-- without having to buy a brand new 500 + G boat. I think there is more and more interest in this area, and as the manufacturers keep lightening and pumping the hp out of the oil burners it will be more prominent. As was mentioned earlier, most boats have not been designed for the drive needed to handle the torque. Ultimately, it needs to be a complete package consisting of; ride, speed, handling, dependibility, cost -- not nessecarily in that order
Old 01-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Registered

come to think of it, you're absolutely correct Rik... I'm not sure but I think I heard they even used the 312-series trannie for that 388 instead of the 110-series because the 110s were still 1st generation at that time and were a bit weak and people with 440 Yanmars were having problems. It was reinforced later but I think someone told me that Hustler decided to use the bigger model because of those initial problems associated with 110s. So even more space was wasted.

However and even though I agree that approx 7" would be saved by using a single speed Twin Disc, I think one should really have two speeds with diesels and surface drives for maximum enjoyment. I feel that it really does make a difference, particularly in acceleration, getting on plane phase and fuel consumption...
Old 01-07-2005, 02:32 AM
Registered

BTW Del Sol, the 388 Hustler did over 80 with old 420hp. Yanmars and ASD8s and it didn't cost anywhere near 500K new. With new 500 or 480 Yanmars, lighter 110-series trannie, my guess would be upper 80s for sure. And I still don't think it would cost 500K.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They actually used the 300ATS gear. The boat actually runs 85 mph with the diesel which was comparable to the HP500's and Bravos.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:36 AM
Registered

In that case, no space can be saved by using 110s which are pretty much exactly the same length as 300s. Only about 80 lbs. per side can be saved. Which means that a 388 with new 480 Yanmars could probably touch 90 mph. That is serious speed with stock diesel power covered by a 5-year warranty... Twin Disc needs to come up with a new ASD8 and make it just like the new ASD6, with a trannie in the extension box... Anybody has any news or inside information on that front?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Rik while we are on the topic, do you know of any TS cigs utilizing your bulletproof drives? I have asked on here before but no replies... I'd be very interested in knowing the effects (if any). With the problems of bigger horspower going through a bravo style drive, I can't believe no one has tried this.

Nothing against Hustlers, but I would've guessed that kind of spped from the torque output of the diesels, --impressive speed none the less -- just not the rough water ride that I'd be interested in

Last edited by del sol; 01-07-2005 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Gladiator with diesels - speed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.