Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   42 cigarette race boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/93799-42-cigarette-race-boat.html)

grafikworx 01-06-2005 08:58 AM

Re: 42 cigarette race boat

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I think that a lot of this outsourcing is going to be seen more and more in the future. I have changed my business model quite a bit to focus on Crestron remotes and Runco projectors almost exclusivly. This has been my best year to date. People like to have some one come in that really knows their stuff and can get out with a quality working product. I do not see why laying up a boat would be any different. If skater is the best at doing it then have them do it. You can know exactly what your profits will be and can plan better. If Skater lays up the hull then they tell them that it will be X dollars. Cig can sell it for Y dollars and count on the money. If they lay up the hull themselves then they have to figure in the cost over runs and mistakes that they may make. Plus there is something about being able to say that the boat was layed up by Skater that makes it more desirable.

Jon

Dont get ahead of yourself. That was a one time deal. for that 45. it was the rio rose raceboat. what they might do in the future who knows.

grafikworx 01-06-2005 09:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This was the only cigarette I know That was laid up at skater in recent years.

Nauti Kitty 01-06-2005 09:08 AM

Just to clear this up. There are three being laid up at skater right now. NK

grafikworx 01-06-2005 09:14 AM

Great! maybe there will be a few more cigarettes running close to 130 MPH soon? like I said in the future who knows

OL40SVX 01-06-2005 10:35 AM

The guy who painted the boat is Richy Lucente out of Old Saybrook CT. His shop is basically right next door to ocean performance. You can see more of his work at
www.customairbrushct.com Also the boat wont run that fast and they know it. It hasnt even been run yet with those motors.

Audiofn 01-06-2005 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by grafikworx
Dont get ahead of yourself. That was a one time deal. for that 45. it was the rio rose raceboat. what they might do in the future who knows.

Just to be clear I think that even if they were to do this it is not a bad thing. You get the best possible product and often times for the best possible price, and you know what your bottom line is. Do what you do best I say.

There are other problems that Cig and others could be looking at like EPA issues and insurance. If they do not have to deal with all that Resin then they can have the boats finished almost anywere. People do not want boat manufacturing done near their house. It is smelly and dangerous. Even with the infusion letting off almost no fumes it still carries the stigma with it.

Jon

Byrdman 01-06-2005 11:10 AM

Yea thats all true....but ya know what, if it is not layed up at cig...then it is not a cig...the lay up is the most important part..I am suprised to hear cig..fountain..doing this..but they must have the best lay up crew and material process...Buy a skater at least ya won't get blown off by 55 mph. :eek:

DPT MOTORSPORTS 01-06-2005 11:13 AM

Actually many manufactures have had boat laid up by Skater. I think some batboats were laid up there as were a few Fountains years ago. I think the Platinum 38's like Popeyes are laid up there as well. The question is are these going to be speacial ordered canopied boats??? I was told that Cigarette has absolutely no interest in racing since it aquisition by the new owner. Would be kool to see them back out there though. What ever happened to the 46 cigarette Rio Roses????

SK-190 01-06-2005 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by DPT MOTORSPORTS
I think the Platinum 38's like Popeyes are laid up there as well.

Yes, Platinum had the first few Rage 40's laid up at Skater, but that was only to get some hulls built and available while they were getting their own facility ready. From what I've heard, Platinum had to put quite a bit of work into the hulls built by Skater to get them up to the standards they are satisfied with. Then again, Platinum is planning on taking offshore hull construction to a whole new level, so they might be a little pickier than Fountain or Cigarette.

Skater builds a solid product, but just because certain manufacturers are hiring them to build a hull or two doesn't necessarily mean Skater is the end all be all of boat construction. (Despite what Skater may advertise.) As people have been mentioning, there may be other factors involved that make subcontracting Skater a practical thing to do from a business perspective.

lucky strike 01-06-2005 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by DPT MOTORSPORTS
Actually many manufactures have had boat laid up by Skater. I think some batboats were laid up there as were a few Fountains years ago. I think the Platinum 38's like Popeyes are laid up there as well. The question is are these going to be speacial ordered canopied boats??? I was told that Cigarette has absolutely no interest in racing since it aquisition by the new owner. Would be kool to see them back out there though. What ever happened to the 46 cigarette Rio Roses????

The Rio Roses boat is in Hunnington, NY. It's owned by a long time Lip-Ship customer.

LS JR.