Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Smith Mountain Lake (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/93805-smith-mountain-lake.html)

BAJA WILL 01-05-2005 09:10 PM

Re: Smith Mountain Lake

I second everything said, I am from SML and there all through the summer. If you are visiting the best place is Bernards, it is in the middle of the lake, plus it has rest/bar there. As for the lake itself it has grown really fast. Also as long as you are not hammered driving and watch out the Game wardens will let you be. Another great place to go is the "Cliffs" it is a few rock cliffs that everyone gathers at and jumps off of. Also for night life I will break it down for you in my opinion.

Bananna Joes ........................Bands/DJ's, younger crowd at night, Very good Food
Mangos/Bridge water Plaza ............. Great Bands, Bars, Allot of crowds, Slow service
Sportsman ..........................Bands, good food, Mix of people, nice bar/lounge
Irish Pub .......................................Irish music, Great food, Old people
Bernards "the landing" ....................Very good food, Music, Mix of people
The Pointe .................................... Haven't been yet??? Newest place on lake
Port Side "tiki bar" .......................... DJ's, wings/burgers, Midlife crisis crowd, still fun

I run with a group that really parties it up so we usually have late night at a designated house or island and party it up.

WILL :D

clearcut3 01-05-2005 11:37 PM

I have been there for a couple of poker runs and it is a beautiful lake with a lot of great people to meet. Will (27Fountain) has a pretty fun party before also, except for the Tornado's :D . Attached is a link of pics I took at last years poker run.

http://www.leica-gallery.net/michael...lder-6880.html

baja27 01-06-2005 08:17 AM

Thanks to all for the great info.
Toolman: I have a 33 Powerplay
Clearcut3: Nice pics, I would like to do the poker run in May down there if I still have my boat or my new one! For the poker run is there hotels near by?

clearcut3 01-06-2005 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by baja27
Clearcut3: Nice pics, I would like to do the poker run in May down there if I still have my boat or my new one! For the poker run is there hotels near by?

We always stay at Bernards landing. We usually rent a 3 bedroom condo and the docks are right in front of your balcony. The poker run fills up VERY fast because there are only 75 boats (I think that's right) allowed. People will bring their boats hoping that someone doesn't show. Last year there was a 47' outerlimits that was the benefit of a no show I believe :evilb:

Swede 01-06-2005 11:15 AM

I grew up there as well. It is a great place to visit. There are also some nice rental houses as well. Check out www.cbrentals.com. If you want me to help you pick one let me know. I rented about 5 of them last year for my wedding.

Maybe we can set a date earlier for another fun run up there in the summer!!! That was a blast at the end of last summer. We had about 30 boats.

docmanrich37 01-06-2005 12:50 PM

Look at campersparadise.com is a waterfront motel.Fills up early but might have a condo for rent mine or the one i was going to rent for the poker run at bernards landing just put contract on it tuesday.Your from Pa. a STEELERS fan hopefully if not won't hold it against you.GO STEELERS.

mwdill 01-06-2005 09:02 PM

never too many steeler fans! if he is rich u should let the brother stay free!!

docmanrich37 01-07-2005 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by mwdill
never too many steeler fans! if he is rich u should let the brother stay free!!

Only if OTIS can stay with me on the boat.Don't worry Will it would be albout her. :D :D :D

baja27 01-07-2005 08:04 AM

I figure either Steelers or Eagles should make . Better yet both in the superbowl!

docmanrich37 01-07-2005 12:17 PM

I figure either Steelers or Eagles should make . Better yet both in the superbowl!

Only if the out come is the same as the first game they played these season."THE TERRIBLE TOWEL"