Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Latest Manatee Update from FL Today Newspaper. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/93822-latest-manatee-update-fl-today-newspaper.html)

Dean Ferry 01-05-2005 03:39 PM

Re: Latest Manatee Update from FL Today Newspaper.

Danger D,
The $MC benefits from the LIE that Manatees are on the BRINK OF EXTINSTION. Therefore all the bleeding hearts WORLDWIDE, send donations, (Millions of $$ per year) to the $MC and allows the $MC to keep their cushy jobs and the Manatee PROPAGANDA machine continues to blame ALL of the Manatees problems on FL. RECREATIONAL Bosters!
Now I'm really getting spun up! :evilb:

Here's a link to their website, check it out for yourself and see what these VERY ORGANIZED, AND WELL FUNDED ENVIRO-WACKOS ARE UP TO!!!

http://www.savethemanatee.org

Looks like they are coming after Broward Co. also. :mad:
MD

MANITIE 01-05-2005 03:47 PM

I for one don't have a problem if you tag one of my flippers to see how many of us are out hear......Tag me...throw me some minhaven to eat....and I'll be on my way for a napp...and out of your hair....no problem hear!!!!!

fund razor 01-05-2005 04:27 PM

I guess they are well funded.

That one has a platinum membership. Must wanna see the pics.:D

The Menace 01-05-2005 04:41 PM

I saw two playing in the bay behind my house last week. Bluberous, ugly, fat cusses.

If you read the stat of how many died to boating strikes in relationship to other casues, that is a very low number. They also do not mention that sometimes manatees die just like other animals.

The waters in Lee county's intercoastal areas are quit a bit shallower than most. Lee county also has an abundance of waterways.

Maybe the Manatee's should consider moving to a more user friendly enviroment.

ChromeGorilla 01-05-2005 04:51 PM

So does the $25 dollars actualy go in the manatees pocket? puh-lease...

"Adopt-A-Manatee and Get a Free
2005 Wall Calendar
When you adopt a manatee for $25, you'll receive a photo of your manatee, the manatee's biography, an adoption certificate, a membership handbook with more manatee info, and four yearly newsletters with updates on your adoptee. And if you join at $35, you'll also get a FREE 2005 manatee wall calendar!"

And arent they West Indian Manatees?!?!? Get them the phuck out of FL!

LostinBoston 01-05-2005 04:58 PM

This will be an interesting topic for my Coastal Management class this spring. Not sure about the prof, i hope hes not a liberal enviro whacko like some other college profs ive seen. THe class starts the 19th. someone remind me to bring this topic up to him around that time. Start off the class with a bang, hopefully i wont have to drop it after the first day.

LostinBoston 01-05-2005 05:00 PM

heres a link to the program

http://www.brandeis.edu/marinestudies/courses.html

for week 13
"Marine Protected Areas (MPA) and Sanctuaries
Issues and strategies for involvement with the conservation and protection of endangered marine mammals and their habitats; National Marine Sanctuary Program; Endangered Species Act (1973); Marine Protection, Research and Sanctuaries Act (1972)

Reading assignment: The Coastal Environment: Toward Integrated Coastal and Marine Sanctuary Management, Gary A. Klee, 1999, Chapter 3; Management of Living Marine Resources, Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary Management Plan; The National Marine Sanctuary Program: Policy, Education, and Research, Oceanus Magazine. "

lets see what i've gotten myself into

Formula Outlaw 01-05-2005 05:11 PM

My favorite statement to the "terror weenies" is this: explain to me how in the last fifteen years that has seen boating registrations and boating useage in Florida SKYROCKET, at THE EXACT SAME TIME the manatee population has increased by over 300%. That ALWAYS shuts them the phuck up.

tiufb 01-06-2005 12:44 PM

Kinda sounds like gun control. If restricting gun owner's rights is the answer, how come the areas with the most restrictive laws have the highest violent crime rates and conversly, the states with shall issue carry permits have seen decreases during the same period? Sorry, a little off topic.

Iggy 01-06-2005 03:00 PM

I've seen manatees swiming along side of me when idling out to Tampa Bay but if you get too close to them they dissappear. They always stay close to shore too, I've never seen on in open water. What is the psycho manatee club's motivation? If it's money, how do they benefit from no wake zones?
They beneft from all the high dollar donations the rich people give so the SMC can force the state to put up no wake zones in their home areas to lower the boating noise level. It also keeps skiers and jet-ski's away too.
One boating magazine noticed that most of the no wake zones were in the high dollar home areas.