Notices

600SCii in powerboat $$$$

Old 01-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 600SCii in powerboat $$$$

Nobody's really gonna pay 64k or whatever.

Merc's into selling the engine/drive/smartcraft display package.

In six months a bunch of OSO guys are gonna have this engine in their Fountain/Formula/Cigarette.

High retail price makes you feel good about your product - when you purchased it at a much lower price.

They did put some R&D into that 1079SC whipple whatever. That R&D has to be amortized.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

This new engine should make the other builders feel pretty good about their product...and pricing...
I'm in no way saying that Mercury doesn't offer a good product, just that their pricing is astronomical.
Take 20 of that 60k to another builder like Mesa or TMP and ask them what they can offer you... They're going to give you more HP and torque (this is what makes your boat move) and a warranty that is just as good, or Better! Merc may have more technology, but there is a real reade off in reliability.
It's true.. a good portion of the price covers your soon to come warranty claims..I waorked for a motorcycle manufacturer several years ago.. The warranty money in a new bike was about 25%.
The warranty would be better than one year if the product really was that durable... Think about it. The average US boater runs 40 hours per season. (Yes we here in FL can do that in one month) How about building a product that has a 3 year warranty...that gives the consumer the performance that he wants???

What is the maintenance schedule for this new 600??
Maybe one of the other builders could chime in with their suggested/required maintenance......

On the topic of boats without power...
Ever go to a boat show and notice how most boat builder displays are dominated by one manufacturer (Merc and Yamaha). This is driven by $$$$ (suprise). The general boat buying public is not as educated as the other people you meet here on OSO... so they'll take what's in the boat at the boat show...
A good portion of builders actually get penalized by a motor manufacturer if they sell a boat without power!!! True! Small volume builders won't have the problem, but try to buy a Formula or Baja without power...

Ya'll seen the new Illmor/Teague Package??? One year warranty, and no BLOWER! Nice.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 01-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Ignore the price, which nobody will really pay anyhow, and it's cool. I would love to have one in my 22 Donzi Classic...............
Old 01-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tim G.
This new engine should make the other builders feel pretty good about their product...and pricing...
I'm in no way saying that Mercury doesn't offer a good product, just that their pricing is astronomical.
Take 20 of that 60k to another builder like Mesa or TMP and ask them what they can offer you... They're going to give you more HP and torque (this is what makes your boat move) and a warranty that is just as good, or Better! Merc may have more technology, but there is a real reade off in reliability.
It's true.. a good portion of the price covers your soon to come warranty claims..I waorked for a motorcycle manufacturer several years ago.. The warranty money in a new bike was about 25%.
The warranty would be better than one year if the product really was that durable... Think about it. The average US boater runs 40 hours per season. (Yes we here in FL can do that in one month) How about building a product that has a 3 year warranty...that gives the consumer the performance that he wants???

What is the maintenance schedule for this new 600??
Maybe one of the other builders could chime in with their suggested/required maintenance......

On the topic of boats without power...
Ever go to a boat show and notice how most boat builder displays are dominated by one manufacturer (Merc and Yamaha). This is driven by $$$$ (suprise). The general boat buying public is not as educated as the other people you meet here on OSO... so they'll take what's in the boat at the boat show...
A good portion of builders actually get penalized by a motor manufacturer if they sell a boat without power!!! True! Small volume builders won't have the problem, but try to buy a Formula or Baja without power...

Ya'll seen the new Illmor/Teague Package??? One year warranty, and no BLOWER! Nice.
You are correct Tim, and the Ilmor/Teague Package will release the new 625hp version with more torque and saves 400 lbs. (Miami Boat Show) each in weight since the motors are all aluminum. Makes you stop and think. NO BLOWER
Old 01-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wow , I'm afraid to tell anyone that I'm probably putting these in my new boat. I have been told that the 600 hp rating is a very conservative figure. This figure is being published for insurance purposes. As many of us know, when the ins. company gets out the speed calculator for us cat owners the 600 hp is going to keep alot of those figures under that 120 m.p.h. . The magic number if you don't want to pay a thousand a month for insurance. Has anybody else been told this? Secondly , I would bet that within 6 months of this motor being on the market there will be half a dozen aftermarket companies with a diffrent pulley and an e.c.u. re-programing putting the motor at the upper 700hp range. Anybody agree? I also agree with some of the other posts, Merc can ask an msrp of whatever they want, it isn't always what they are sold for in the open market.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I am uphauled over the prices of the Mercs motors and #6 drive packages. The only one to blame is ourselves, and why you might ask: CAUSE WE KEEP BUYING IT. iT IS A MENTALLITY, you got to have Merc for resale. I hate hearing that bunch of crap. There are other products out there that do a better job and fill in the gap between a bravo(junk)drive and a #6. My next Nortech will have the same motors, TMP 750efi's, but three of them, and I will have the Arneson asd6, with a Bam 1500 trannies. To me this is bulletproof, I dont mind going out the black box. This package gets me on plane quicker, and with tripps top end will be over 110 . What we all need to do is when you go to the Miami show, go for a ride in say a 38 Hustler with the V-10's and Arnesons, you will be amazed, then make your judgement call, Im just tired of feeding the need. Jeff
Old 01-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jeff, based on all of your rave reviews I was contemplating calling TMP all day.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

They are good guys.. I was contemplating going more hp like 925-1200s in a twinn application, but a just really like these 750efi's, they idle great, have not had a problem, plus they tell me they will last 300-500 hrs. I change my oil every 10 hours with there built in preluber/oiler and filter every 20hours. Call me if you ever want to talk. Jeff 228-216-0900.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Registered

502BBC, alumin. heads with 6lbs of boost & intercooled & only 600HP, yea right. Maybe HP is rated at 4600 rpm or so
Old 01-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

...and the price is rated in 1966 dollars.

Quick Reply: 600SCii in powerboat $$$$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.