Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/93891-headed-mi-any-suggestions-comments.html)

articfriends 01-28-2005 12:44 AM

Re: Headed to MI, any suggestions or comments?

ITS Sooooo cold right now!!!! :D

ofshore 01-28-2005 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by articfriends
ITS Sooooo cold right now!!!! :D

-2 deg F when i left for work this morning :eek:

Bill272, are all of those pics from gull island?? Maybe i'll make it up to st. clair this year :D

vtec 01-28-2005 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 39NAS-T
Plus there is a ton of industry in michigan so we are still growing in the union. Great place to live.
Hunter

Ahh....no.

Michigan's unemployment is 1.0+ higher than the national average. That's a ton.

2 degrees this morning. I'd hurry up and move here - before all the land is gone. :evilb:

Bill272 01-28-2005 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ofshore
-2 deg F when i left for work this morning :eek:

Bill272, are all of those pics from gull island?? Maybe i'll make it up to st. clair this year :D

Just the one overhead shot of the island is Gull. The rest are from Muscamoot Bay. Gull is right at the end of Muscamoot and the South Channel. There are 2 big Jobbienooner parties on gull and people hang out there all summer, but the better party is in the bay.

Definitely come up sometime, you're too close not to.

39NAS-T 01-28-2005 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by vtec
Ahh....no.

Michigan's unemployment is 1.0+ higher than the national average. That's a ton.

2 degrees this morning. I'd hurry up and move here - before all the land is gone. :evilb:

It's not my fault we have detroit to weigh in. If people would get up and get a job we would be in good shape.
Hunter

RacingFan4Ever 01-28-2005 11:48 AM

I think I'll post my 2 cents here. I've lived in MI most of my life, except for 4 years of military life. I love MI..there really is alot to do here during each season, and if you don't like the weather, give it 5 minutes and it will change...LOL. Plus, you have a body of water within 5 miles of you, no matter where you are, which is great for water sports.

I live near the Saginaw bay in Bay County...and yes 70% of the time it is a bit rough, but when the water is calm, the bay makes for some great boating. Plus the Tri-cites ( Saginaw, Bay City, and Midland) do have alot going on through out the year, esp during the summer, boat racing, festivals, and so on. The jobs are a bit harder to come by, but we do have many dealerships around us, so you may get lucky. Detroit and Lansing are within about 1 1/2 hour drive from me.

Midland, Bay City and Saginaw all made the national list of cities with the cheapiest housing. Average housing cost last year in my area was about $105,000. My husband though, has to commute to his job in Auburn Hills everyday...just over an hour and 15 minutes on good days. We have seriously thought about moving closer to his job, but we checked things out, and realized it wouldn't be worth it, it would cost more to live down there, even with a good paying job. So we are staying put for now. In my opinion, Mid MI is the best place in Michigan to live right now.

By the way, if we get rid of Granholm, we'd be in great shape as well.

formula1 01-28-2005 03:34 PM

I checked the housing prices up there. You are right, they are LOW! It seems that the Detroit market is still a little high. It's not much less than DC area! :eek: But, if you get far enough into the burbs, it seems to be alot better. PLus, you get LAND. Man, I want to spread out!! :drink: I want a big garage with heat AND electric AND running water with a drain! Room enough for the Formula, Dually and my Mustangs!

articfriends 01-28-2005 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RacingFan4Ever
I think I'll post my 2 cents here. I've lived in MI most of my life, except for 4 years of military life. I love MI..there really is alot to do here during each season, and if you don't like the weather, give it 5 minutes and it will change...LOL. Plus, you have a body of water within 5 miles of you, no matter where you are, which is great for water sports.

I live near the Saginaw bay in Bay County...and yes 70% of the time it is a bit rough, but when the water is calm, the bay makes for some great boating. Plus the Tri-cites ( Saginaw, Bay City, and Midland) do have alot going on through out the year, esp during the summer, boat racing, festivals, and so on. The jobs are a bit harder to come by, but we do have many dealerships around us, so you may get lucky. Detroit and Lansing are within about 1 1/2 hour drive from me.

Midland, Bay City and Saginaw all made the national list of cities with the cheapiest housing. Average housing cost last year in my area was about $105,000. My husband though, has to commute to his job in Auburn Hills everyday...just over an hour and 15 minutes on good days. We have seriously thought about moving closer to his job, but we checked things out, and realized it wouldn't be worth it, it would cost more to live down there, even with a good paying job. So we are staying put for now. In my opinion, Mid MI is the best place in Michigan to live right now.

By the way, if we get rid of Granholm, we'd be in great shape as well.

What kind of boat do you guys have,i'm on the bay or river evry other weekend,just look for a 272 baja called "never enough_____!! or look for me baiting the other boats into racing :D

formula1 01-28-2005 10:23 PM

Is that 84.5 MPH!? Rock n' roll! :evilb:

RacingFan4Ever 02-04-2005 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends
What kind of boat do you guys have,i'm on the bay or river evry other weekend,just look for a 272 baja called "never enough_____!! or look for me baiting the other boats into racing :D

We are usually in a 24 ft greyish blue fourwinns, or a 24 ft white Captiva with blue, green and purple splash marks on the side. We had to get rid of our 25 ft Baja, it was a sad day too. But my husband and I figured out our boat was costing too much money to care for and enjoy right now, esp with a daughter heading into college soon. So we use my dad's quite often. Usually hanging out near the State park area tubing and skiing.