Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/94007-dually-owner-questions-flood-vehicles.html)

Smitty 01-08-2005 09:00 AM

Re: Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...

Check for water damage this way. Remove the plastic carpet threshold and lift up the carpet. It will smell musty and you will see signs of water and rust.It might still be damp. Next try to find some electrical connectors that are close to floor level. Unplug them if you can and look for any signs of water marks on the pins or connector. If you can see the end of the wire where the connector is attached and it is green, I would walk away. Just so everybody knows, a car can have water damage and still run for a while after it is cleaned up. The water that gets in the wires takes a while to do its damage. It slowly creates less current flow over time and then the whole harness must be replaced.

P.S. If you really wanted a four door then keep looking. The four door will also be easier for you to sell later. A true four door is more popular these days then a quad cab

GLH 01-08-2005 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
I had a 2000 crew cab dually (lost in my divorce settlement)

Your wife wanted the crew cab dually? Tough deal indeed.

BobbyB 01-08-2005 09:21 AM

Brian, I would get a crew cab. I had and extended cab and the whole time i had wish i got a crew cab.

formula1 01-08-2005 09:22 AM

Brian, I switched a year and a half ago to a crew cab. Huge difference! :D But, I would say, it all depends on how you are going to use the truck. I have 3 kids, my wife and our new Golden Retriever. With the crew cab, there is NO comparison in how much room there is compared to the super (extended) cab version. My truck is a 1997 Ford F350 Crew Cab XLT 4x4 Dually with the Powerstoke diesel.

For towing, it's not much different than with the extended cab, however the duallys really help on the highway. Since my truck has an 8' bed, it is LONG! Add the boat and trailer, it's even LONGER! Parking is a bit of a bummer at a store or street side. But, I don't drive it as a daily driver.

As far as the Duramax, great engine and transmission. They actually were intoduced mid year of 2000. Check the build date on the door sticker.

Sydwayz 01-08-2005 10:21 AM

VIN:
1GCJK39111E319990

I would love a full service breakdown and an un-biased CARFAX report; just to check the integrity of the dealer.

Madcow 01-08-2005 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=Sydwayz]Q2: Is the extended cab with a slightly shorter wheelbase compared to the crew cab; any easier to maneuver when NOT towing? Or is the difference negligible? I imagine its almost no different.

QUOTE]
I have a 4 door short bed which is close to the same wheelbase. Its abot 18 inches shorter, and around town there is a HUGE difference. I bought my truck this way because i only use it for towing and didn't need the long bed, and I like the better feel for the shorter wheelbase.

Sydwayz 01-08-2005 01:24 PM

11400 LBS. GVW
12000 LBS. GVW

This is an option on the vehicle when ordered. HOW DO I KNOW which is which?
blownincome?
R'Addiction?

Thanks!

Madcow 01-08-2005 01:31 PM

A dually always has a lower tow rating than a SRW because of the extra weight of the dual components.

R Addiction 01-08-2005 01:47 PM

Thats the difference......so get a crew duramax/allison 2wd and you get even more gvw!! :eek: :eek: Not worth it if you ask me......slipppery ramps suck!!

Sydwayz 01-08-2005 01:57 PM

Thanks guys. I was just curious as they have different parts for brakes and such as per gmpartsdirect.com.

I'm gonna take another good look at the Dually tonight.
The Avalanche is for sale again. :D First $20K firm takes it home.