Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles... >

Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...

Notices

Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...

Old 01-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...

So I am down here in San Antonio for a week+ on business, and spending my free time doing a little truck shopping at the mom & pops who don't advertise on the web.

I came across this Dually:

2001 Duramax Allison Extended Cab
4x4
45K miles
LS option package but it does have leather interior as well.
Pretty much loaded as best I can tell.

I have/had my heart set on a crew-cab black dually. This one is a steal, but it is only an extended cab. It does have rear doors that open suicide style.

Q1: Has anyone bought the extended cab when they really wanted the crew, and regreted it? If so, why?

Q2: Is the extended cab with a slightly shorter wheelbase compared to the crew cab; any easier to maneuver when NOT towing? Or is the difference negligible? I imagine its almost no different.

Q3: The 2001 was the first year for the Duramax. Should I steer clear? It does have a 100K mile engine warranty from GM.

They say they have a clean CARFAX for it, but I know those are crap.
I noticed a removed fifth-wheel in the bed (holes drilled). Seeing this, I stuck my head under the dash looking to see remnants of a brake contoller. Nothing found, no big deal, they probably just pulled most of it out. HOWEVER, I noticed some slight surface rust on the bottom metal panel under the steering column. This raised a big flag to me about this being a possible flood damaged vehicle, especially being down here in TX; and being listed so cheap; coupled with the carpets are REALLY dirty.

Q4: Where else can I look for evidence of flood damage? I will steer FAR clear if it appears as such.

I have attached a pic that came out very rudimentary, (taken with my camera from a magazine). I have seen the truck, and the body is straight as a board with no signs of any damage. I would appreciate everyone's answers and advice on this one. I can probably pick it up for $23K or so.

After typing all this, I think I may have just answered my question of interest in this vehicle already, however, the price is REALLY attractive.
Attached Thumbnails Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...-dually.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-08-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:13 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...

The surface rust may be from the people getting in and out with wet feet and the water sitting in the carpet. Have seen alot of surface rust with work trucks. Have the injectors been replaced Brian. Get me a VIN I can check it for ya.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thanks. I will get it tomorrow. Come to think of it, I bet my Avalanche's seats and a few other things would swap right out, into this truck. I may do that before taking my AV to Carmax if things go though.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-08-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the bracket you are talking about comes with no paint from the factory. All of them of them show some sort of rust. That is what I usually hook my test light ground to when working under a dash and I've seen quit a few with rust. Probably comes from wet carpet like R Addiction said.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2000 crew cab dually (lost in my divorce settlement), I now have a 2001 extended cab dually.
Q1-extended isn't bad,very usable,not as nice as crew
Q2-wheel base difference is negligable for turning radius
Q3-I'd buy it
Q4-if you get a clean carfax on it (they are crap), I think they have a garauntee that will get you back out of it.
The surface rust under the dash is normal of most vehicles.
Checking for flood damage is tough. Look for strange stains that look like a water line, strange electrical gremlins (get a printed service history),check the trans fluid for any water (it sometimes gets in the breather in a flood),also if you can get them to drain the front differential to check for water, it also has a breather.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Hey Brian, does the truck smell like water?

Bobby
Old 01-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
I think the bracket you are talking about comes with no paint from the factory. All of them of them show some sort of rust. That is what I usually hook my test light ground to when working under a dash and I've seen quit a few with rust. Probably comes from wet carpet like R Addiction said.
Work for a Gmc dealer They do show rust just from Humidity...New...Do You Have A Vin#
Pm me With It Ill Run A history...
Bob
Old 01-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Nah, it does not smell bad. I think every truck in TX has filthy carpets. It also has some ash residue in the ashtray, but with leather seats, they hold less smoke smell. I'm gonna call and get the VIN in a little bit. If its the same leather seats, I am gonna swap them out with my Avalanche.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-08-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck looks nice. Compare prices to www.autotrader.com. Also check the engine oil for diesel fuel smell after test drive. The injectors would be my main concern.

Mark
Old 01-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

So, you havin' fun down there at Dick's Last Resort on the riverwalk? I love that place!

Buy that truck! I'll trade AVYs with ya. I want all that aftermarket crap you installed.

Quick Reply: Dually owner questions and Flood Vehicles...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.