Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Nuclear submarine aground (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/94013-nuclear-submarine-aground.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 01-08-2005 05:39 PM

Re: Nuclear submarine aground

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Troutly
...as will the Captain...

ratman 01-08-2005 06:13 PM

i think they take money for repairs out of the captains pay for the next 124,00 years...

WetKitty42 01-08-2005 07:31 PM

I thought when I hit bottom that was bad. Think he churned some mud?

Roger 1 01-08-2005 10:23 PM

I think that they need to see Fred about a new depth finder.

US1 Fountain 01-08-2005 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine

Where the hell did you get that image thing.....or whatever they are called? Too funny

Roger 1 01-08-2005 10:30 PM

I wonder how many push ups you have to do for that.

Semper Fi 01-08-2005 10:41 PM

That is a career ender.PERIOD

Hot Duck 01-09-2005 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Roger 1
I think that they need to see Fred about a new depth finder.

:D :D :D

Iggy 01-09-2005 07:55 AM

If you thought that Captains career was over before, this just cinched it.
He'll be "retired" shortly.

U.S. sailor dies in submarine accident
23 others injured as boat hits ocean floor
Sunday, January 9, 2005 Posted: 8:12 AM EST (1312 GMT)

(CNN) -- A U.S. sailor died Sunday, after sustaining injuries in a submarine accident a day earlier in the western Pacific, according to a statement from the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

The sailor -- whose identity has not been released -- was one of 24 wounded when the nuclear-powered fast-attack submarine USS San Francisco ran aground about 350 miles (560 km) south of Guam -- the nearest island -- while it was submerged, the Navy said.

Navy sources said the submarine was en route to Brisbane, Australia, for a port visit.

Lt. Adam Clampitt of the Pacific Fleet, speaking to CNN from his base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, said there was no damage to the nuclear reactor.

The submarine is slowly making its way back to its port in Guam, where it is expected to arrive Monday afternoon, Guam time. Guam is 15 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time.

The submarine did sustain some damage to its exterior.

"When the ship arrives back to its port, there will be an investigation to evaluate the extent of the damage," Clampitt said.

The accident happened Saturday around noon Guam time and a Navy medical team was immediately dispatched to the sub. The team arrived Sunday morning to treat the wounded, but the one sailor died that afternoon, Clampitt said.

"Anytime we lose a shipmate it's a great loss," he said, offering his condolences to the sailor's family and friends.

The medical team remains on board the submarine, as it slowly returns to Guam, to treat the other 23 injured crew members for a range of injuries including broken bones, cuts, bruises and a back injury.

None of the injuries are life-threatening, Clampitt said.

The Menace 01-09-2005 08:18 AM

Did any article mention whether the ground struck was at sea level or maybe 800 ft below the sea level surface?

Oh yeah, by the way, the sound would be a resounding thud and like hitting a concrete wall.

I was on the Nautilus and Redfin subs.

Also helmed the carriers Forrestal, Randolph and Enterprise.

Now I have trouble running the Top Gun.