Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Nashville, Tennesse - New Boat Club (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/94076-nashville-tennesse-new-boat-club.html)

f311fr1 01-10-2005 09:12 PM

Re: Nashville, Tennesse - New Boat Club

I would love to come to your meeting but will be out of town on Tues. Please PM or e-mail me with any details. I boated on Old Hickory for years. I kept my Formula's at Drakes Creek Marina for about 10 years. We now boat on Lake Cumberland in KY. Our boat is a 43FT Black Thunder.

Formula Outlaw 01-10-2005 09:40 PM

Best of luck getting your club going.
Russ/OPBA

thunderusone 01-10-2005 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by f311fr1
I would love to come to your meeting but will be out of town on Tues. Please PM or e-mail me with any details. I boated on Old Hickory for years. I kept my Formula's at Drakes Creek Marina for about 10 years. We now boat on Lake Cumberland in KY. Our boat is a 43FT Black Thunder.

I saw your boat when Eddie from TMP was on his way to Ky with it. I looked for you at the Lake Cumberland run and didnt see you. I will forward some info on to you. I will look and see if I still have your number...I pm'd you a while back.....meant to call and got busy and forgot about it.

mcollinstn 01-10-2005 10:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Guys, I plan to be there.
If you get there a little early, head across the parking lot to Gooch's Powersports (across from Popeye's Chicken). They sell bikes, ATV's, and custom choppers (they are a Legend's dealership).

I dunno if the bikes will still be there tomorrow night, but there have been two "ultra custom" choppers there for a few days.

One is Billy Lane's/Choppers Inc.'s "Psycho Billy's Cadillac".
The other is Chica's "Unicorn From Hell".

Both bikes have won countless awards and have been in magazines and TV. Very cool up close and in the flesh. The guys have only recently been in that location and would appreciate for you to stop by. Nice little operation, and they need folks to spread the word. Tell em Collins sent you.

sundaythunder 01-10-2005 10:08 PM

It is great to see people from this website in the Nashville area, I was worried that fishing and house boats were the majority. The Lakes and Rivers are the main reason we are looking to move to the area (and it is warmer than MA). I grew up vacationing on Kentucky lake and love being able to boat for miles on end.

I think Old Hickory sounds like a good lake to be on. We have been looking at homes on-line west of Nashville, north and south of the lake.

Is there a lot of commercial traffic on the river, that will make it difficult to go through the locks?

How strict is the water patrol on noise and such?

Liquidsation 01-11-2005 07:00 AM

Bump!

Game On 01-11-2005 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by thunderusone
Game ON, Game Over...........what about it guys? KennyO?

Cory is out of town and KennyO said he would try to make it....Big E and I will definitely make it and I believe that covers the Priest side of MJ.....

mcollinstn 01-11-2005 09:06 AM

Sunday,

Bassboats and people fishing out of pontoon boats are all over the lake at the extreme early and late points of the day. During midmorning hours, most suitable inlets or sheltered water will be filled with skiers and wakeboarders. From late morning on, the lake is crawling with family bowriders, midsized cruisers, and PWC's. There are a number of houseboats, but not nearly as many as there used to be (or at least they stay real close to their slips). Busy weekends are pretty highly trafficked, and some areas get a little congested. Good number of 20-26' boats that will run 60. On a "normal" weekend, you can run from the dam to Gallatin and not see but a handfull of offshore style boats. But if you look for them, or TRY to find them, there's usually a handfull running around.

If you've got a strong boat, there will be PLENTY of bassboats that will "run ya". And you'd better have a strong boat for some of them. Many will run over 80. A few will run over 90.

Barge traffic is insignificant on the lake. It is there, but there are just a few spots where you can't easily pass to the side, well clear of them. On the river, it is MUCH more significant, as the river is pretty narrow in a lot of places, and has a lot of turns. Additionally, the entire downtown section of the river has a (loosely enforced) no wake zone. A 65mph run down the river to town is always a blast, cause the river is fairly narrow and the turns are tight enough to be fun yet not so much to be tempting fate...

Locking through CAN be a pain if you hit the timing wrong with a barge. You can call the lockmaster on the cellphone, though, ahead of time and ask him if he has any barges coming. He knows 45 minutes ahead of time if he's got one coming, so you can either haul ass and beat it or kick back and wait, depending. Usually takes 1.5 hours to lock a big set of barges thru. The locks downstreat are all far enough apart that you can easily "beat" a train of barges to the next lock if you need to. Not like Tn-Tombigbee at all (which is a royal hassle).

I don't know how the noise patrol is these days. It's been a few years since I've run the screaming open exhausted velocity stacked outboards (which were louder than most dry piped big blocks), but they never gave me any grief about them. And my boat has chambered mufflers on it (Silent Thunder) so they never bother me on it either. But I haven't heard of anybody getting a noise ticket. Some of the other guys here may know differently (and just cause they haven't been hard on noise doesn't mean that they won't be next year..). Around here, they're more concerned about life vests and intoxication. They'll pull you over if they don't feel you may have enough vests, or apear to have been drinking. If they pull you over, they'll nail you for any infraction. Kids on the bow will get you stopped as well. They're cool guys for the most part.

I'm putting my Lake house on the market in a couple of weeks, if you're looking to be on the lake in Hendersonville.

magnum27 01-11-2005 09:25 AM

Well being a fellow Tennessean, I want to be the first to invite the new Nashville club to come down to Chattanooga the first week of Oct. for the APBA National championship races. They will be held on the Chickimauga lake right in front of the dam. It should be a great event and the first time offshore racing has ever come here. Hopefully it will spark powerboat sales here as there is not one performance boat dealer in Chattanooga do to lack of sales. I hope to see boats from all over to visit us and see all the great racing this October and good luck with the club.

thunderusone 01-11-2005 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Game On
Cory is out of town and KennyO said he would try to make it....Big E and I will definitely make it and I believe that covers the Priest side of MJ.....

Game on, why is Game Over reporting in as Ford485? Is he trying to remain anonoymous.....Hey Ford485, this is not the uncensored section......