Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need new boat cover/what material/where? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/94079-need-new-boat-cover-what-material-where.html)

Formula Outlaw 01-09-2005 09:17 AM

Need new boat cover/what material/where?

My seven year old boat cover is going to the happy hunting ground. Seven years in Florida has taken it's toll and it's starting to rip with stress. Probably dry rot on the thread or whatever.

I need to replace it with a reasonably priced boat cover. I can't afford to have a "custom" covermade for it, I just want something decent. Is "Sandura" any good? I need it for a 311 Formula.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks...Russ

jaybird 01-09-2005 10:09 AM

Re: Need new boat cover/what material/where?

In my experience, canvas / upolsetry people's prices range as much as the day is long. I'd call / visit your local folks first, bring your old top along. Then if there is a problem they can fix it easy. Some people will come right out to your boat and work there. Everyone is different. As long as they use Sunbrella canvas or something as good (not sure what else) should be fine. A lot ot times prices change when business is slow and if you pay cash. Also, you can have them look at yours to repair. There are several "common" stress points that always go first, and you could have those areas repaired / reinforced , then have the whole canvas restitched- I have done this many times and saved big $$, looks fine. Depends though on the overall condition of the canvas though.

cuda 01-09-2005 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, you can have yours repaired.

Or you can pony 1500 bones and have one made to fit, and you know mama ain't going for that! :eek:

t500hps 01-09-2005 10:37 AM

Cuda...I love that extended cover. Robert Nelem sold me a left over cover he had for my 312 for less than dealer cost (Thanks again Robert).....Look for someone that has a left over that might fit the 311. EX:Other brand 33 foot boats.
Russ C.

cuda 01-09-2005 10:39 AM

I know a guy that's selling one from a Donzi 33 Crossbow. He said it's in excellent shape, but he had his interior reconfigured, and now it doesn't fit perfectly, so he's getting a new one.

MitchStellin 01-09-2005 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am a ways away but this was made for $1,000. Works great. Top Gun is the material and is the best suited for a solid leak free cover.

The Menace 01-09-2005 10:42 AM

If your planning fo the long haul use Sunbrella.

I have a 1 mil clear flexible film that screens out 99.9999% of the harmful UV light. I have been wondering how this could be incorporated on top of fabric for a cover. It would make any cover last a lifetime. Water resistant and UV resistant

Anybody want to get rich? Figure this one out.

MitchStellin 01-09-2005 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:cool:

cuda 01-09-2005 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the email I got yesterday from the guy with the Crossbow, and a picture of his boat. He's in St Pete.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I pick up my Z-33 on Monday. New cover is $1,750 from Florida Boat Tops. I'm going to sell my old Sunbrella cover for $300. It's perfectly fine, except it doesn't fit my new helm seats and back headreat, which make it rise up in the wind. I'm going to put it on Donzi.Net for $300. It's newly sewn and all tears or rips were repaired. My guess is that $300 is a gift for someone. It's only 5 years old. What do you think?

Formula Outlaw 01-09-2005 07:29 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I've checked some prices at Rex Marine, Eddie Marine, etc. Going to ask a canvas guy down the street tomorrow. You be right Cooderman, ain't gonna spend no fifteen hundred on no cover. Deb would cut my balls off.