Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Speed Limt Law on Winnipesaukee!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/94469-speed-limt-law-winnipesaukee.html)

Formula Outlaw 01-15-2005 09:15 PM

Re: Speed Limt Law on Winnipesaukee!!!

I just went into the first site to lurk. One rubberhead states that anyone going over 45 "isn't going that fast to get somewhere, but for the thrill of it". What in the hell is wrong with getting a thrill outta life????? They need to put that idiot in a box, put it in the ground, and throw the dirt on it.

It's bad having a thrill? That's one of the absolute stupidest moronic things I have ever read. Thank God I live down here. I couldn't take those azzholes.

Pantera1 01-15-2005 10:31 PM

Heres one from " Bear Lover"
Your missing the point. A speed limit is not what the majority want. What they want is those "big, loud, gas guzzling, mine is bigger than yours" boats off of the lake. A speed limit is what they will use as the way to do it. Nobody is going to spend a small fortune to keep a muscle boat on a lake with a 45 mph limit.

And after the speed limit passes they will want a horse power limit, or some other method, to get the cabin cruisers off the lake.

If you really think it can't happen read the list of NH lakes with speed and or horsepower limits. It's about 1 in 3.

Bear lover is a non email or im recieving person .. And im not positive about this but I think beastiality is illegal in NH :rolleyes:

timewarp 01-15-2005 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by blownincome
Problem Is we had a fatal up here a few years ago (Local Marinas Son driving) and left the scene of the accident in his 33 Baja and gave these one way bleeding hearts a cause/target to fight for...statistics show jet skis and smaller boats are in most accidents up here (but it keeps going back to that 1 accident)...most of us all came up through the ranks with smaller boats to where we are today and not the cause of all the lakes problems!! :hothead: :hothead:

Well if thats's the case that this one incident is the only evidence they have to promote a speed limit, I would think it would be easy enough to prove that in that instance there were other laws broken,(I can't believe that someone died just because someone was going faster than 45 MPH, there had to be other infractions involved) because those laws were in place it didn't save the persons life.

Good luck with the fight, I believe this same fight will be coming to many areas in the next few years. That's the reason I boat, because I can go fast with out breaking any laws, I hope we don't loose this, it will be a sad day when a stock 16' Bayliner can break the speed limit on a large lake. :( :mad: :(

Caleb

Pantera1 01-15-2005 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by timewarp
Well if thats's the case that this one incident is the only evidence they have to promote a speed limit, I would think it would be easy enough to prove that in that instance there were other laws broken,(I can't believe that someone died just because someone was going faster than 45 MPH, there had to be other infractions involved) because those laws were in place it didn't save the persons life.

Good luck with the fight, I believe this same fight will be coming to many areas in the next few years. That's the reason I boat, because I can go fast with out breaking any laws, I hope we don't loose this, it will be a sad day when a stock 16' Bayliner can break the speed limit on a large lake. :( :mad: :(

Caleb

Well yes he managed to make all the bad moves.. Drinking , left the seen , at night , hid the boat in a boat house an turned himself in two days later ..I wonder why :rolleyes:

LubeJobs42 01-15-2005 11:48 PM

Could it help if we all wrote letter?

Audiofn 01-15-2005 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera1
And radio as far as being a local ..those are your words !
I already told everyone I was from ma :( And im not sure what I ever did to you but this isnt the first time youve jumped on me in a thread :mad:
But ive been on this lake all summer for the past 38 years ..So I outrank you :D

How will we ever know you deleted all your insightfull posts :p :p You never did anything to me and I have no idea what post you are talking about that you are saying I jumped all over you. Only post I can recal jumping all over anyone was Hyperbaja's selling the fake watch thread and that I was all over Hyper. You did however say that you were done with this thread so.... :drink: :drink:
Again there seems to be no real interest in organizing to find facts and a way to present them. We *****ed about the noise laws that were being forced on us up at our lake in Maine. All we did however was ***** about it over beer at the fire. There was not organized effort to get together and gather facts to fight it. Seems it very well may be the same hear. As Pantera said there is already a large number of lakes on Winni that have speed limits and there will be more and more. There are already plenty of MP's on the lake, they seem to find all of us already.....

Jon

Audiofn 01-15-2005 11:51 PM

I think that although that loosing taking out that family is what they definatly use as thier head liner for the argument that all this was coming anyhow. Just look at all the lakes that did not have an accident like this but have the speed limits.

Jon

Audiofn 01-15-2005 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Could it help if we all wrote letter?

I would guess so as long as you visit the lake. I am sure that they would be interested to know that a large group of people will not be visiting and spending money due to the speed limit.

vonwolske 01-16-2005 12:18 AM

I participated in the several hearings to impose noise and speed limits on Lake Travis in Austin, TX.
The noise ordinance passed but it is somewhat reasonable.
The speed limit failed because the chief warden for boating law enforcement in the state said that he had plenty of laws on the books to arrest any person who was driving in a dangerous way and he didn't need any more laws. ---and that it didn't make any sense to allow a boat to 65 or 70 mph through a crowded area on a busy weekend and then arrest a bass boat for running 75 on a clear deserted Wednesday morning when nobody else was on the lake. We were all pleasantly dumbfounded by his refreshing and practical approach to a contrived problem. About that time, the BWI boating while intoxicated, laws were strengthened considerably. This was supported by all the boaters.
One thing the cops always like is more law (so they can enforce it capriciously). But this was not the case here in grand ole TEXAS.

One thing is that the advocates will cite all the increase in boating accidents and injuries over the past ten years. Most of that increase is attributed to jet skiers and there is nothing in the data to support that the problem is the cigarette boats. Also, look at the data as linked to night time versus daytime boating.

So in addition to the BWI offense it is linked to your drivers license so you can loose the car privileges if operating the boat with a certain blood alcohol content.

Another suggestion is the that state require a short training video for anyone renting a PWC. This was enacted and has helped solve the rash of PWC accidents being counted as boating accidents.

It is best to go to the meeting armed with a proactive plan.

There was even a study done by an independent consulting firm and they surveyed lake users and lake property owners. Of course the property owners don't want anyone on their water, especially the noisy cigar boats. News flash, it is not their water and things will never be like the tranquil secluded days of yesteryear. The consulting firm came back with several ludicrous suggestions like putting all the big boats on the small end of the lake and the small boats on the big end of the lake and certain coves reserved for jet skis and others reserved for quiet waters. They really had no credibility.

Rippem 01-16-2005 12:31 AM

Makes me glad to live 20 mins from Eastern end of Lake Ontario as well as Alex Bay.
There's limited areas of speed limit on the St. Lawrence (though in reality you only get hassled if your way loud, too much over in a speed zone or operating like an idiot)....and they (establishment fuds and old money types along the River) rattle their Albany based sabres about more...truth is they (Albany/taxpayers) will never knowingly dedicate the kind of $$$ it would take to broaden the scale of speed limits and enforcements on the River...it's just too big an area, not to mention international. ;)
If by chance it got more opressive, places like the Great Lakes themselves will be the last freshwater bastion of performance boating as loud and fast as you want...for a long time to come!
I truly feel for you inland lake types. Fight the good fight in an intelligent fashion is your only chance, and more than likely all you'll ever get is the potential to put off the inevitable.
Good Luck. :cool: