Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Remembering "The Legend" Tom Gentry (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/94489-remembering-legend-tom-gentry.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 01-14-2005 11:37 PM

Remembering "The Legend" Tom Gentry

May we all take a moment today to remember Tom Gentry.

It's been over 11 years since his Key West crash and 7 years ago today since he passed away.

Tom Gentry was a legend offshore powerboat racer who set several world records before a crash at the 1994 Key West World Offshore Championship that left him hospitalized and in a coma for 4 years. Just a month before the crash, Gentry, who already owned the transatlantic speed record, captured a new world record, reaching an average speed of 157.4 mph.

Tom Gentry died @ age 67 in Honolulu, Jan. 15, 1998 of respiratory failure.

May God bless him and his family... :(

Info on the Gentry Eagle

JCPERF 01-14-2005 11:56 PM

Re: Remembering "The Legend" Tom Gentry

I raced at that race in Key West in the morning race.Watched the Gentry roll over right in front of me.What a shame.Made me wonder if racing was really worth it all.

Pantera1 01-15-2005 12:00 AM

Yes A Legend ..RIP

fountain1fan 01-15-2005 07:11 AM

i got the issue us offshore of him on the cover. he is missed rip.

boostbros 01-15-2005 07:48 AM

Tom was a true legend in the boating world he gained world wide respect for taking on richard branson(virgin) in the USA vs Europe battle for the blue ribbon. i was also there that day.... it never hit us how serious the crash was it looked like a common spin out in the corner in front of the galion.it was a truly sad ending for a true leader and gentleman in this sport........Godspeed Tom and thanks for the memories

Edward R. Cozzi 01-15-2005 08:57 AM

I was lucky enough to drive the camera boat for the ESPN crew that covered his Miami-Nassau-Miami record speed run.
You couldn't meet a nicer, friendlier gentleman.
It was a tragedy when he and Richie Powers had the accident in Key West.

GLH 01-15-2005 10:02 AM

He had big ideas and did something about it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt, April 23, 1910

RIP Mr. Gentry.

Semper Fi 01-15-2005 11:23 AM

God Bless. :D

MrCIG 01-26-2005 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one from I think about 1989 Grand Haven Michigan

DJD 01-26-2005 07:55 PM

I had the pleasure of meeting him here in Greenwich CT. He had the Gentry Eagle at the Showboat (waterside bar/hotel) awaiting the right weather window for the transatlantic run.
I was on the dock, checking out the boat when Tom appeared. We had a real nice conversation about all kinds of boats & to my surprise, I was invited out the following day when they were taking the press out for a run.
What a great Man!