Notices

Boat show Prices?

Old 01-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Boat show Prices?

the "backordered part" rob Peter to pay Paul and keep him running reasoning is a reach in the boat world. With a Merc dealer on every corner and the internet, when was the last time a part "could'nt be found" for a late model Merc package? Or there again, how often in reality does stock Merc stuff fail in the first 5 years? and after that...by that time nobody gives a sh*t where you bought the boat, they most likely want the service work.
Nor does the "better service" angle. Gee...if you had what it takes buy, and you were serious enough when we couldn't make a deal or I didn't have product at the time...what am I gonna do? Treat you like dogsh*t when you need service? Noooo, I'm gonna take care of you, in hopes that even though you're a tough sell customer on the $$, and know you're angles...you're a buyer and I'm gonna do what I can to make sure you give me another shot next time...'cause now I know you're a buyer.
and that's kind of refreshing after talking to all those who aren't...isn't it?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rippem you make good sense, Just the way I think. Iam a buyer and most I deal with know this. I bought my last three boats here local brand new and when it was time to buy a bigger boat (twins) my dealer here in town took me for granted and tried to stick it to me. I Tried to givem the buisness and told them iam going elsewhere and I did saved 10K on the exact same boat (in Dallas) 2-3 hours away. When the dealer called and said they were ready I toldem it was too late already got one..hehe..they were pissed! called me a traitor??among other things.. and to never ever bring that boat around there dealership!!?? After all that $$$ I spent on three new boats in 4years..I would think they would have said you bring that thing here if you need service Mr.Kelly we want you business back with us...HELL i gave a chance they blew it and I told them they would never see me or my $$$ again or the other business I had brought them..Talk about dealers seeing the small picture..
Old 01-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by thosetwins
Rippem you make good sense, Just the way I think. Iam a buyer and most I deal with know this. I bought my last three boats here local brand new and when it was time to buy a bigger boat (twins) my dealer here in town took me for granted and tried to stick it to me. I Tried to givem the buisness and told them iam going elsewhere and I did saved 10K on the exact same boat (in Dallas) 2-3 hours away. When the dealer called and said they were ready I toldem it was too late already got one..hehe..they were pissed! called me a traitor??among other things.. and to never ever bring that boat around there dealership!!?? After all that $$$ I spent on three new boats in 4years..I would think they would have said you bring that thing here if you need service Mr.Kelly we want you business back with us...HELL i gave a chance they blew it and I told them they would never see me or my $$$ again or the other business I had brought them..Talk about dealers seeing the small picture..
Some dealers can be azzholes
Old 01-19-2005, 07:12 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Re: Boat show Prices?

Originally Posted by Too Old
Huh?

I don't follow the BMW logic. You can take your new BMW to ANY dealer for service. No need to return to the selling dealer. I bought my wifes in NC and have absolutly no problem receiving great service in SC.
I'm with you, Too Old.
My son became a Marine in North Carolina and was treated just fine wherever he was stationed, even Japan for awhile.
Wait, it's not the same, what am I talking about, sorry guys. I need a cup of coffee...
Old 01-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Registered

I think my posts cut through the bullsh*t...that some would have you believe.

Ed I am happy to hear your boy is being adequately serviced...
Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
the "backordered part" rob Peter to pay Paul and keep him running reasoning is a reach in the boat world. With a Merc dealer on every corner and the internet, when was the last time a part "could'nt be found" for a late model Merc package? Or there again, how often in reality does stock Merc stuff fail in the first 5 years? and after that...by that time nobody gives a sh*t where you bought the boat, they most likely want the service work.
Nor does the "better service" angle. Gee...if you had what it takes buy, and you were serious enough when we couldn't make a deal or I didn't have product at the time...what am I gonna do? Treat you like dogsh*t when you need service? Noooo, I'm gonna take care of you, in hopes that even though you're a tough sell customer on the $$, and know you're angles...you're a buyer and I'm gonna do what I can to make sure you give me another shot next time...'cause now I know you're a buyer.
and that's kind of refreshing after talking to all those who aren't...isn't it?

Morning! I completely disagree. Most dealers use a term called "bottom feeders" If a buyer acts this way when we start negotiating and then can't make a deal, I am done with that person forever. I don't want anything to do with them. No oil changes, repairs, etc. A good dealer offers services that are of great and unique value. I make sure that every member of my staff treats people as they would wish to be treated. Money is not the ultimate goal. The price needs to be FAIR. The service needs to as good AS POSSIBLE. The transaction needs to be pleasant for both sides.

I dealt with an atty a feww years back who started out OK, but when the negotiations started he turned into a class 1 grinder. I took his check for $30,000 (the deposit AND my profit) and wrote void in a permanent marker on across the check. It was then Fed-Ex'd to him with a note to stick it up his ass. True story.

As far as the BMW logic -- The 3rd time the car went in the dealer was out of laoners. The salesman gave my wife his car to use and had his wife pick him up that night. THATS SERVICE.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Registered

Good Morning, I want to make clear this is a friendly, direct to the point debate.
counterpoint...
#1 then there must be an abundance of local money and boatbuyers in your immediate area. Congratulations.

#2 Ever sold a boat to someone from out of your area based on price? Wouldn't that be hypocritical of you?

#3 Your attitude speaks for itself, and in what is now a nationwide economy, that thinking is behind the times. Many wouldn't buy from you simply for getting wind of your "holier than thow" stance. I wouldn't. Keep ripping up those 30K checks and voiding sales...we'll see who laughs last.
Of couse, I would have had a signed, binding buyer's order before you touched my check, and told YOU to shuv it up your a** when you second guessed yourself, and tried to void the deal we had made!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:48 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

I am speaking of doing business ethically and you are criticizing me for it?????????? I thought the basis of many of the threads that have started this past year have been about the lack of ethics in the business. Your position contradicts all of those.

As far as a buyers agreement, 99% of all buyers agreements executed have specific contigencies such as sea trials, acceptable financing, etc. The reason I cut the deal off was because the customer was working the profit out of the deal. I don't know what business you are in but I'm sure you or your employer needs to make a profit to remain in business.

What "holier than thou" attitude??????????? That's way off. I was trying to make an example. Maybe you should call some of my customers and ask them about service. This is where the whole thing started. I don't believe that all the owners and dealers feel price is the ONLY important factor in a purchase. Take a look at Marine Max stock and tell me what you think.

Also, no I have not sold a boat outside my area based soley on price. period. You have a gorilla warfare type buyers attitude. That's fine. I really can't figure out why you want to pick a fight when we were discussing what I believe to be a debate on price vs. service.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buyafountain.com ,

Selling stuff is a competitive business. Are you claiming that allowing several dealers to compete for my business is unethical??? If somebody is willing to sell me a product at a lower margin than you think is fair that makes me a "grinder" or "bottom feeder"?? Please elaborate on your position!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

I absolutely agree that you should price shop to make sure that you are not getting ripped off by a dealer. You should know the high and low end of the price spectrum. Most people will fall in the middle and buy from a reputable dealer at a price they feel is fair. What Rippem was saying was that you should contact every dealer and buy from the cheapest period. I just don't feel that price is everything and that those buyers are creating problems for the other 90% of buyers.

I am simply trying to help here and let people look at the situation from the other side of the table.

L9X25 - would you buy from National (if they were still here) if they had the best price or for that matter any other dealer that has been on the OSO Bad Business section? I don't think so. I am saying that if everyone in the sport wants the problems fixed there is a middle ground between buyers and dealers.

Quick Reply: Boat show Prices?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.