Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
WAX and waxing bottom of boat?? >

WAX and waxing bottom of boat??

Notices

WAX and waxing bottom of boat??

Old 01-19-2005, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WAX and waxing bottom of boat??

Well I think I will do the Starbright wash and then wax, maybe it will get the transoom soot off also. I can give up .1mph to stay clean.

Also as soon as I use up the turtle stuff, I will get the frenzy and give it a try

WILL
Old 01-19-2005, 10:21 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm for waxing it, like it's going to make that much a difference in speed....... There is no white gel coat on my boat, it's all yellow, blue, orange, purple, etc.. If I dont wax the thing every few trips I cant get the water spots off. Maybe it's not so noticable on a white hull but the majority of my bottom is dark and light blue and it shows everything.
Wax the boat, and wipe the entire thing off with vinegar and water at the ramp as soon as you pull it out of the water. Including the trailer. I also have my wife wipe the entire interior with 409 or fantasctic while I'm doing the outside. Dont every put armor all or any kind of conditioner on the vinyl, it makes the stitches collect dirt and your interior will eventually look like crap!!! My boat is only in the sun a couple of weekends a month in the summer, the interior will not fade or wear out from the sun or the elements. Its four seasons old and looks newer than most of the boats I see 1 season old. I contribute that to people using that maguires or what ever brand of marine vinyl conditioner they sell in the marine shops, on there boats. Look at the stiches of poeple who use that crap and you will see how dingy and dark they look.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
I'm for waxing it, like it's going to make that much a difference in speed....... There is no white gel coat on my boat, it's all yellow, blue, orange, purple, etc.. If I dont wax the thing every few trips I cant get the water spots off. Maybe it's not so noticable on a white hull but the majority of my bottom is dark and light blue and it shows everything.
Wax the boat, and wipe the entire thing off with vinegar and water at the ramp as soon as you pull it out of the water. Including the trailer. I also have my wife wipe the entire interior with 409 or fantasctic while I'm doing the outside. Dont every put armor all or any kind of conditioner on the vinyl, it makes the stitches collect dirt and your interior will eventually look like crap!!! My boat is only in the sun a couple of weekends a month in the summer, the interior will not fade or wear out from the sun or the elements. Its four seasons old and looks newer than most of the boats I see 1 season old. I contribute that to people using that maguires or what ever brand of marine vinyl conditioner they sell in the marine shops, on there boats. Look at the stiches of poeple who use that crap and you will see how dingy and dark they look.

409 or fantastic Thats some strong cleaners . Kinda like washing your skin with bleach. sqeeky clean . I hope you condition it after you take out all the oils?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Screw it , I'll replace the interior when it wheres out. At least it'll be squeaky clean in the mean time!!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I dont think there are as strong as you would think anyways, Clorox cleaner with bleach is too strong. 409 is much tamer. How do you get the black soot off the back the transom?
I found the only way to keep it clean is to wax it regularly, clean it with 409 when you pull it out and then clean it again with vinegar and water so its not spotted or streaked. I probably spend an hour at the ramp before I trailer it home everytime but I enjoy cleaning it.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I also use Lime Away on the exhaust tips, prop and parts of the drive that vinegar wont remove the spots from. Lime Away is awesome at removing hard water, no abrasive material in either.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yall just think about this. All the hull cleaners have some type of Acid in it to clean the fiberglass . Like the river stain from muddy water.I have had it too. The acid etches the fiberglass leaving it MORE porous every time ya do it.. More susceptible to staining again.

The next time you wax your bottom and rum it that day .Check it and see if the wax is still on there . The water running across it wears it off.

I agree it does help on keeping the boat clean!!

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Its a loosing battle. They look so good when they are brand band new and its depressing to see anything get old or wear out.
I have the same problem with my wife, I thought she'd be 21 forever!!!!!
she's 22 now and I may just have to trade her in....LOL
Old 01-20-2005, 07:59 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
I dont think there are as strong as you would think anyways, Clorox cleaner with bleach is too strong. 409 is much tamer. How do you get the black soot off the back the transom?
I found the only way to keep it clean is to wax it regularly, clean it with 409 when you pull it out and then clean it again with vinegar and water so its not spotted or streaked. I probably spend an hour at the ramp before I trailer it home everytime but I enjoy cleaning it.
Black soot.....use Starbright ON/OFF!!!! but it takes everything off. If you wax, you'll have to re-wax.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
409 or fantastic Thats some strong cleaners . Kinda like washing your skin with bleach. sqeeky clean . I hope you condition it after you take out all the oils?
The manufacturer of vinyl for Cigarette and alot other boat manufacturers says to use fantastic to clean and marine 303 for protection .

Quick Reply: WAX and waxing bottom of boat??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.