Notices

OT: Laptop Repair

Old 01-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Speed is everything
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Laptop Repair

Does any OSO member's do laptop repair? Or where is a good place to send a laptop to have a cracked LCD screen fixed? I had and employee drop his laptop and it cracked the lcd screen, now all you get are some colors when you turn it on. It's a Sony GRT250. Sony wants 700.00 to fix it. OUCH!! If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OT: Laptop Repair

They are basically done when the screen goes ..because it is an expensive repair ..Lcds are 500-1000 .. You can get second hand lcd/s on ebay but there still pricey ..If its a high end lappy 700 may be worth it
Old 01-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Speed is everything
Gold Member

I think I paid around 1400.00 for it last April. I found a couple of repair center on the web that said they would do it for under 400.00. But I know you get what you pay for.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Registered

look for a used one on ebay...they are usually around 150 - 200. if you can install yourself, great.....if not take the laptop and the new screen to a repair place....it will take them 1/2 hr to install.... $50 ?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

screen replacements are pretty much a screwdriver job. No insane tech skills needed. You generally have a couple of screws underneath to remove the bezel above the keyboard. Then the keyboard will come off (since the bezel holds it down). At that point, you should be able to see where the two plugs are for the screen. Unplug them. The hinge covers are usually snapped on. Then you undo the chassis screws. now you got the whole top clamshell off the laptop. Start pulling rubber plugs out and possibly peeling decals off to get the inside trim piece off the clamshell and then you got more screws holding the lcd in the top half.

Just a bunch of screws for the most part.
Like erector set...