Notices

Bilge Paint.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilge Paint.

I have my motors out and want to repaint my bilge but I'm not sure what products work best. My main concern is durability against staining. I also would like for it to keep a nice shine and have smooth finish for looks and easy to clean.

Should I get some type of bilge paint from one of the marine suppliers or can I use some type of paint. It seem most of the bilge paints I have seen don't have a lot of shine.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Bilge Paint.

use awlgrip it the toughest thing iv ever used. shines like glass its what they spray big yachts with. it will stand up to boat to piling mishaps... its unreal how durable the stupp is. need to get it from your local paint jobber the will also the tech info sheet on how to reduce, flash time between coats, etc. i'm doing the same to my 35ft mistress in the next few weeks. good luck, ratman
Old 01-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help guys.I was thinking some type of enamel. I may do a sample of both.

Should these brushed on or can I spray in on. Seems like I get a smoother finish when I spray, of course this was on home walls.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Interlux DOES make a dang good single part paint, but a single part will not hold up like a 2 part will.

"Boat" paints have exceptional "leveling" characteristics meaning they can be brushed on and they look sprayed when they set up.

Awlgrip is the absolute gold standard on indestructible paints. But you got to follow the recommendations to the letter. And if you don't have a fresh air respirator, then don't use it - you'll end up brain damaged (like me).
Old 01-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should have asked me

West Marine in Tulsa has Interlux 2 part in stock usually.
Thats what I have used in the past, it's the best for the bilge.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I just repainted my bilge. Do a search on the topic. There was a thread about this a few months ago. I was originally going to use Bilgecoat. I ended up using plain old Rustoleum from Home Depot. It looks pretty good. I will have to let you know how it holds up. It was a quarter of the price of the bilgecoat. I used a roller and a brush to apply it.

Dave M.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 570 Likes on 237 Posts

if you have a SHERWIN WILLIAMS store in your area they sell a two part epoxy that i have used many times in commercial boats and it holds up like no other,flows out real nice and is dirt cheap too.Two gallons are only $60.It works phenomanil on metal too.It doesn't need a primer , and sticks and seals like no other,held up much better than the powdercoated parts in the saltwater bilges.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Registered

tommymonza,

do you have the name for this paint you used. I'm also painting my bilge, was going to use the brightside.

How about colors, can the SHERWIM WILLIAMS paint be tinted?

thanks
Patrick
HRPA
Old 01-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I used the PPG AQUAPON paint two part epoxy / no primer needed. Worked great got it from pittsburgh paint store. Payed $80.00 but that was 1gal part a / 1gal part b, so ended up with 2 gallans. Used for industral coatings, floors, machines, ect......

Last edited by kmiller; 09-18-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the white "bilgecoat" with good results. I got it off the internet for $60 . But i'm sure a two part epoxy would be better against staining.

Quick Reply: Bilge Paint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.