Notices

Four Winns Unlimited U-19

Old 01-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Four Winns Unlimited U-19

spring for a membership and it would be clear to you what he's referring to.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too Old, sorry I didn't answer sooner...

Do you know the history of your Donzi. I owned it's twin.
My Donzi is a 1970, hull number 18-355. It's mostly original, Holman Moody 351W, HM Volvo drive, all numbers match the build plate on the rear bulkhead. Even has original gelcoat. I bought it a couple of years ago in W. Virginia. Supposedly, it spent it's whole life on some small lake there. I bought it from the second owner. He said he used to watch it (as a little boy) run across the lake. and always wanted it.

It's a great ride, and my wife just LOVES driving it. She takes it out by herself all the time...
Attached Thumbnails Four Winns Unlimited U-19-marienrae.jpg  
Old 02-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
I believe the handling problems were caused by using a Volvo Duoprop drive,not a good idea on a 7' wide 24 degree Vee. With a single prop it should handle fine, like a Donzi Classic(which it basically was) Just another example of why corporate raider type executives should not be allowed to design boats Enjoy your boat,it's a neat model that got a bad rap from Powerboat. Remember that they also said a Donzi 22 Classic with an HP500 had too much power, when actually they had no clue what they were talking about.
I had the U-17 and a U-19 both boats with the duo prop both handled great but there is a limit switch for the out drive and if not set up properly there is a possibility that the boat could turn onto its side because of over trim down, I had done this one time, I understand why and how it did it and it never happend again. the 17 was possibly my favorite, It was just a little harrier than the 19 and within a fraction of the speed and jumped out of the hole faster. These are both great boats and I'll oun another!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Registered

Re: Handles like a dream

Originally Posted by davids94
Yeah supposedly powerboat magazine reported that the boat didnt handle well and was possibly dangerous. I cant be sure of what was said as I was only 12 years old when the boat was built. What I can be sure of is that in my time with the boat it has handled very well. It takes chop better than my brothers 21 superboat and gets just as much speed. Its a sweet little boat. OMC owned four winns and donzi at the time of its production. The 17 and 19 foot hulls were lined up to be produced by donzi. OMC then sold donzi and threw the hulls to Four Winns for production.
NO!!!! This is not true this is not a Donzi I had two of them for a total of 9 years.... And I also have very close ties to the FOURWINNS factory in Cadillac Mi!! Donzi never produced this Hull This Hull was always Four Winns. It does have a little bit of a chine walk with the duo prop but there is nothing you have to do to correct it, its not going far. At full trim there isn't much in the water so it tends to babble a little. I call it FUN!!! And I have had it also in the gulf of Mexico and 6 to 8 footers head on at wide open this boat will do with the right driver However don't go getting hurt getting there and slowing down are the hard part!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

Default Re: Handles like a dream

Originally Posted by DENNYB
And I have had it also in the gulf of Mexico and 6 to 8 footers head on at wide open !!!

Old 02-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Old
As I recall, Powerboat reported the boat to be one of the worst handling boats ever tested. Prior to reporting this, they gave the manufacturer the opportunity to correct some "issues". When they declined, they printed the story.

Is it a true Aronow design? I've never heard that before.

It's a nice looking boat for sure.
It is not Don's hull how ever Fourwinns asked PB Mag to go for another ride after the trim limit switch was adjusted properly they declined So I'd say there was an additude about something. Why the boat wasn't set up properly in the first place is beyond me!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

For some reason my username was deleted.

DENNYB, you are 100% correct on the reason for the bad handling. The limit switches prevent the drive from being "tucked under". Their test boat had the switches by-passed, for better performance. But, unfortunately they didn't know how to drive the boat and gave it a bad review. The duo-prop models do chine walk quite a bit but you get used to it. The upside of the duoprop is they bite VERY hard!

The U boats are bad-azz boats. I've been in both the 17 and the 19 and they are both slingshots and handle big water great for a smaller boat. They fly very level.

Like Denny said it is not a Donzi hull. It is close to a splash but they made some small changes. I don't know what they all are but I know for sure the U boat has more hook in the hull.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Registered

I owned a 1996 white and green U19 unlimited 5.8, thru hall exhaust and dual prop. Yes it will chine at about 62, but is easly fixed by lowering the prop, however it will scare you if you don't.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Registered

Default Unlimited

hey if anyone wants more info on the U-171 or U-19, I worked and sold FW for a local dealer during 94,95,96,97,98, and bought a 97 FW U-17 in fall of 97, I still have it and love the boat
Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Registered

Talking

I raced a 17 on my lake last week and was suprized. It took me a long time to catch him. He was running close to my speed.
Of course I was relaxing and drinking a beer and he and his girlfriend were peeing their pants. JC

Quick Reply: Four Winns Unlimited U-19

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.