Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   When Can The New 06 Corvette Z06 Be Ordered, Any Pricing Yet? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95015-when-can-new-06-corvette-z06-ordered-any-pricing-yet.html)

CObarry 01-24-2005 11:11 AM

Re: When Can The New 06 Corvette Z06 Be Ordered, Any Pricing Yet?

Originally Posted by Ed
I suppose the LS2 6.0 Litre(400 h.p.) engine will be standard in the '06 Vette...Will the LS7 7.0 Litre(500 h.p.) be available as an option? Anyone have any input? Thanks, Ed

My sources say it will be just like the C5; if you want the LS7, order the Z06...

Prater 01-24-2005 12:03 PM

Send an email to Monica at Maxie Price. She is one of the leading corvette sales people on corvetteforum.

[email protected]

Michael1 01-25-2005 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ed
I suppose the LS2 6.0 Litre(400 h.p.) engine will be standard in the '06 Vette...Will the LS7 7.0 Litre(500 h.p.) be available as an option? Anyone have any input? Thanks, Ed

The 500hp engine will only be available in the Z06 model, unless you consider the Z06 as being an option (actually considered another model car by GM, since the body is different). They really can't do it as an option. 1. It would take away from Z06 sales. 2. The transmission, clutch, wheel and tire width, and fender wells (for larger tires) got beefed up to accept the extra torque. The transmission and differential also get coolers. The exhaust system is also bigger with mufflers that have a bypass valve in one of the outlets. The tachometer has new redline of 7000. There is an oil tank under the hood for the dry sump system. That required that the battery get moved to the cargo area. You can see, by the time you change the engine, you really have a whole new car.

Michael

Formula Outlaw 01-25-2005 07:35 AM

Both Car and Driver and Motor Trend magazinds are projecting the price in the 65/67 K range. C/D was real emphatic about GM not making the mistake of overpricing it like they did with the ZR1 back in the early 90's.

That's a bargain on today's world of automobiles. At those prices they'll sell everyone they make and with people demanding more.

I love the "over 3,500 rpms a vacuum switch opens the exhaust" feature. My old 70 Ram Air IV GTO had a factory cut out on it. Just pull the knob and the mufflers got bypassed and just went through the resonators in the rear. On the new Vette just have to figure out how to bypass that vacuum switch and keep it open all the time. :D :D

wannabe 01-25-2005 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ed

Ed: the 400 hp LS2 is the base engine for the 2005 Corvette which you can buy TODAY. The ZO6 is a specialized version with a different frame (lighter, stronger) and the 7.0 liter LS7 and will be built in limited quantitiies. The LS7 engines are assembled in Wixom, MI at a new GM engine facility that was built especially for this and the STS-V engine. This is just down the road from Sterling engines BTW.

Wannabe

Ed 01-26-2005 08:53 AM

Thank-You, everyone, for the GREAT info! The power of the board comes through again! Ed

pm203 01-26-2005 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Both Car and Driver and Motor Trend magazinds are projecting the price in the 65/67 K range. C/D was real emphatic about GM not making the mistake of overpricing it like they did with the ZR1 back in the early 90's.

That's a bargain on today's world of automobiles. At those prices they'll sell everyone they make and with people demanding more.

I love the "over 3,500 rpms a vacuum switch opens the exhaust" feature. My old 70 Ram Air IV GTO had a factory cut out on it. Just pull the knob and the mufflers got bypassed and just went through the resonators in the rear. On the new Vette just have to figure out how to bypass that vacuum switch and keep it open all the time. :D :D

Pontiac had a tv commercial with a 70 GTO showing a guy opening that switch.Now,that was cool!!