Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Good news for the Great Lakes - water level is up! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95047-good-news-great-lakes-water-level-up.html)

dockrocker 01-24-2005 10:29 AM

Good news for the Great Lakes - water level is up!

Story from today's Detroit Free Press - kind of like the Pravda of the Motor City, but it is a good article! :D

dkwestern 01-24-2005 10:37 AM

Re: Good news for the Great Lakes - water level is up!

Good news I guess. Sounds Iffy, but higher is better!

Ed 01-24-2005 11:00 AM

Finally! This is great news, as it has been way too low for many, many years. Ed :D

PatriYacht 01-24-2005 11:05 AM

DK is this your first year on Lk. St. Clair? If it is, we'll have to get some of the locals to show you around. It's shallow! :eek: Most of the U.S. side is 12 feet or less. Lucky It's a sandy or muddy bottom, we do a lot of prop polishing.

Crazyhorse 01-24-2005 11:11 AM

Yeah, it's up to our ankles now.

dockrocker 01-24-2005 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
DK is this your first year on Lk. St. Clair? If it is, we'll have to get some of the locals to show you around. It's shallow! :eek: Most of the U.S. side is 12 feet or less. Lucky It's a sandy or muddy bottom, we do a lot of prop polishing.

Yup, and lots of old artifacts sticking up from the bottom, and in the oddest places as well. Make sure you don't pray at the "aluminum altar" up in the North Channel... ;) lots of outdrives have been sacrificed there.

dkwestern 01-24-2005 11:37 AM

No, I boated St. CLair most of last summer after moving over from Holland on Lake Michigan. I have done a fair amount of fishing on St. Clair, the river, and Erie as well. The sandbar between metro park and Muskamoot is the one that scares me, so I stay way south when heading in to "the Moot". Come on Spring. Darren

dockrocker 01-24-2005 12:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The entrance to the Moot can be tricky - lots more fun when the water is more than 2 feet deep! :eek:

The "altar" is a sunken barge, laying on its side in something like 30'-40' of water. It ends up being about 2 feet below the surface - folks that don't know better try to cut the corner and *BAM* - more aluminum on the bottom....

Here's so of the joy of boating in LSC...

Crazyhorse 01-24-2005 02:08 PM

Is that Jimmy Hoffa sticking up out of the water in the second picture?

dockrocker 01-24-2005 02:27 PM

Nah, they buried him up north ;)