Do you own your boat

Old 01-28-2005, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do you own your boat

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
Money markets are to safe try Legg Masion,haven't been below 13% average in 2
years!!!!!!!!!!

HotPursuit, what is legg masion? I searched for it but come up with nothing.

If your in the stock market ticker "NAT"-nordic american tanker is paying right around a 12% dividend, I don't own it I just get to hear about it every quarter when my co-worker gets his check
Old 01-28-2005, 06:12 AM
Registered

http://www.leggmason.com

the high yield looks good
Old 01-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MildThunder
http://www.leggmason.com

the high yield looks good
Yea baby lets all make some gas money, some risk involved but no pain no gain.
I took a blood bath during the telecommunications bust,dusted off and back in
the saddle. Your Registered CoonAss Keep it Triple
Old 01-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MildThunder
pm me were you have money market ill take some of that 9%
best i can find is 6.75 % on bonds 5 yr

No problem. I can only assume you do not have fidelity funds investment accounts.
For this past year, the return on the Baron Growth was 31.75% and the Fidelity Blue Chip was at 24.80%. The worst one on my porfolio was the Fidelity Freedom Income at a mere 7.33%. I never said I had money in the money market. I said i had money in the market
Yes, over the past several years the account has been volatile, but it seems now over the last 5 to 6 quarters it is very lucrative again.

I use the Fidelity Investment Services provided by my company and have been very pleased. If you need to contact them the number is 1-800-421-3644 or on the web at www.401k.com
Old 01-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Registered

I think it does not matter who owns the boat as long as you get to use it.
The payment book that comes with most boats suck tho.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
"Finance a boat = the fastest way to throw your money away other than the dog track .. ?% for 10-15 years plus depreciation.. No THANKS"

Finance a 100k boat for 15 years @ 6%. 844 a month. Total paid after 15 years=151,290.

100k in a 2%apy money market for 15 years, you will just about have 150k in the account. There are tons of investments you can make with that 100k to make more, but it was just to give an idea. I say, let the money work for you, and its there in case of emergency. As long as you can afford the note, and still save money, why not. Like hotpursuit says, money is cheap now(well not for me) but for the guys who can get a 5% apr.

Bingo! I would feel much better having my life fall apart and having my 100K in the bank. They can come get the boat and all the other toys for that matter. The money evens out if you play it right. The best way is to borrow against your own 401K and pay YOURSELF back with interest! 200K is ALOT of cash hanging around for a rainy day. I do not boat to try to save money and I write the boat off totally for work. It would be insane to pay cash and lose ALOT of your borrowing power to build spec homes, invest etc....
Cash in hand makes a rainy day better.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steet, what you have said definitely makes finacial sense. Unfortunately for me, I just don't make enough money to afford a monthly boat payment.

I am fortunate to have made some VERY good investments during the 90's bull market. I have used that to my advantage and continue to. I have always paid cash for my boats until my current boat. My first go-fast was a '94 16 Classic. Not much @ $15K, but I sold it for $12K a couple of years later. Rolled that into a 232 which I paid $31K for. It burned up in a boatel fire 4 years later and I received a check for $31K which I rolled into a '00 272. Paid $58K for that boat which I traded two years later on my '02 340. I think I got something like $48K on trade....on paper at least. The balance I financed myself by writing a check on margin against my brokerage account. Interest rates over the last three years have been very low, but that is changing fast. However, by using the dividends and selling some loosers for additional write offs against dividends I am down to owing myself about $30K. (Plus margin interest is a write off.) I should have that payed off soon. So I should be back to zero balance and be ready to move on something bigger.

The wife now wants a Cig. I can say without a doubt that it won't be a new one! Can't do that much margin!!

Last edited by Macklin; 01-29-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macklin
Steet, what you have said definitely makes finacial sense. Unfortunately for me, I just don't make enough money to afford a monthly boat payment.

I am fortunate to have made some VERY good investments during the 90's bull market. I have used that to my advantage and continue to. I have always paid cash for my boats until my current boat. My first go-fast was a '94 16 Classic. Not much @ $15K, but I sold it for $12K a couple of years later. Rolled that into a 232 which I paid $31K for. It burned up in a boatel fire 4 years later and I received a check for $31K which I rolled into a '00 272. Paid $58K for that boat which I traded two years later on my '02 340. I think I got something like $48K on trade....on paper at least. The balance I financed myself by writing a check on margin against my brokerage account. Interest rates over the last three years have been very low, but that is changing fast. However, by using the dividends and selling some loosers for additional write offs against dividends I am down to owing myself about $30K. (Plus margin interest is a write off.) I should have that payed off soon. So I should be back to zero balance and be ready to move on something bigger.

The wife now wants a Cig. I can say without a doubt that it won't be a new one! Can't do that much margin!!
I like your formula mack ..Sort of on the same trend ..Work your way up ..
If ya cant afford it , you realy shouldnt be driving it ..
Financing is just an expensive way to delaY THE INEVITABLE
Old 01-30-2005, 01:07 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Do I own it... Yes

Is there a payment? ... Yes

They're all rented yah know! Famous words from a Harvard educated Long Islander!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Do you own your boat-c04-02-028.jpg  
Old 01-30-2005, 07:19 AM
Registered

I own mine free and clear. But would sure like some one else to own it ;-). I'm trying to sell, see signature.

Quick Reply: Do you own your boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.