Notices

Progressive Insurance

Old 01-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive Insurance

Looking for a Progressive Insurance agent that can write insurance in NJ.
I can find in the yellow pages but am looking for a reference.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Registered

Default Re: Progressive Insurance

I cannot recommend Progressive insurance to anyone since they denied a claim on my outdrive and then sent me a notice of non-renewal based on the claim I made THAT THEY DID NOT PAY!!! I'm not the only one that's had problems with Progressive either.
Try Sy Goldberg or Rodney at PMA. Both are listed in the marine links section.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Registered

I had Progressive in AZ. They were reasonable there. I had them here in Delaware, and felt like I was getting the shaft. When they sent renewal bill, I fell on the floor. Called Geico. I am paying less than half for the same coverage. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

CH,

Can you share why they denied the claim? I started looking at them a couple months ago for once my repower is done (since UMU doesn't quite no how to react to the repower, kind of a "DUH" response) and was considering switching over to Progressive. They are also cheaper (UMU hit me for < 5 years boat owner) than what I've been paying for higher coverage with full disclosure of the new motor. I hear they sometimes pick claims apart and even depreciate parts, but pay OK once they tear the claim apart.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Registered

Sure, I'd be happy to.
I picked up a wad of fishing line on the starboard prop shaft and filled the drive with water. Drive oil was ejected from the reservoir inside the bilge from the water entering the drive. I took pictures of the fish line, shaft, and seal and presented these to my agent upon making the claim. I was told I had to take the boat to a shop so I asked a local shop if they had any experience with SSM3A drives. They assured me that they had done 3A drives and that they could handle the job. The drive was removed and inspected by an adjustor who had never seen a Speedmaster drive and insisted that the drives had been installed after I insured the boat. I insisted that the survey that was on file with the insurance company would list the drives as being on the boat at the time of the survey. The adjustor then had the shop split the upper and lower cases and "determined" that the prop shaft seal was not the cause of the water contamination, that the problem was really a bad gasket that had obviously been leaking for a long time. I had receipts from this shop showing that I had both drives pressure-checked a month before with no indication of any problems. After all this, I was notified by certified mail that Progressive was denying the claim based on the adjustor's observations. Even after several telephone calls to Progressive and many faxes with the pictures they continued to deny the claim.
I had Mel Riggs inspect and rebuild the drive at an out-of-pocket cost of $8,000 after learning that the local shop did not have tools or manuals to perform the work required.
Last February Progressive sent me a notice of non-renewal, listing the reason as a previous claim within the preceding 12 month period. This is the claim they didn't pay.
If you need any other information please feel free to contact me.

Last edited by Crazyhorse; 01-25-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:58 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another reason to always buy marine insurance from a marine insurance provider.... makes life much easier....
Old 01-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Progressive is the largest single insurer of all type watercraft in the country.

Yes I'm with them. My Nationwide agent (whom I've been with 20 years and have all my other policies with) wrote the binder.

Nationwide is getting out of watercraft alltogether by slowly eliminating dollar and speed markets.
Too bad...My experience with NW has never been anything short of phenominal.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Progressive didn't do any insurance in NJ?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Registered

I have Progressive for my 1994 Cig in So. Florida. Simply go to their website and apply. I am a marine surveyor so I know about claims and insurance. Best not to turn in a claim unless it is a large claim. Cheaper in long run to cover losses out of pocket unless it is really big. By the way ....if any of you So. Florida OSO members need a survey for insurance I offer a discount to OSO members. Later, Steve