Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Marine Surveyor Credentials (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95228-marine-surveyor-credentials.html)

Magicfloat 01-26-2005 08:04 PM

Marine Surveyor Credentials

Had a Surveyor look at a boat I was selling,hired by an out of state buyer thru the internet. Everything went well,boat sold,no problems. Planning to use him again because he is fairly close by. The listing on his card says BBA,PhD,LM,Proctor in Admiralty.What does this mean?No SAMS. Will I run into problems with a lender with this. He seems knowledgable but am wondering if he is crediable(sp). Ed Cozzi or somebody help me out here.

sy goldberg 01-26-2005 09:09 PM

Re: Marine Surveyor Credentials

ACE AMERICAN INSURANCE COMPANY the largest boat insurance company in the USA will only accept a SAMS or NAMS survey.Ed Cozzi is a SAMS surveyor and I have used him many times and even made sure he got paid.

Edward R. Cozzi 01-26-2005 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
Had a Surveyor look at a boat I was selling,hired by an out of state buyer thru the internet. Everything went well,boat sold,no problems. Planning to use him again because he is fairly close by. The listing on his card says BBA,PhD,LM,Proctor in Admiralty.What does this mean?No SAMS. Will I run into problems with a lender with this. He seems knowledgable but am wondering if he is crediable(sp). Ed Cozzi or somebody help me out here.

I'm afraid my "competitor" there has qualifications I've never heard of.
Our job as surveyor is to make sure that the boat meets USCG, ABYC and NBYC specs.

SAMS AND NAMS make certain that we know what they are.

Jamie B. 01-27-2005 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
The listing on his card says BBA,PhD,LM,Proctor in Admiralty.No SAMS. help me out here.

He probably drives a 'G.T.O.' and is full of his 'B.S.' self ! :drink: :D

Crazyhorse 01-27-2005 11:26 AM

I would advise you to use a SAMS or NAMS registered surveyor but you should always check with both your bank and insurance company to verify if they will accept whatever surveyor you choose. It's possible that one or both may accept this gentleman's appraisal. But you need to know before you spend your money.
I had a prepurchase survey performed on my Cigarette and it just happens that Ed Cozzi did the survey through another firm. I was very satisfied with the results and also with the boat.

TGC-32 01-27-2005 12:12 PM

Robert:

You are probably going to have problems with many lenders NOT accepting a survey from a surveyor who isn't SAMS or NAMS certified. Each lender is different, so try to find out beforehand if your guy's certifications are okay with them. If the guy is good, maybe he would be willing to get SAMS/NAMS certification.

Good luck.

Tom
Total Marine

woogie 01-27-2005 12:50 PM

B.B.A = Bachelors in Business Administration. P.h.D= Doctorate in philosophy. Proctor in Admiralty= Law designation to practice martime Law - I think you must be an attorney to recieve this designation. LM = ?

fund razor 01-27-2005 01:26 PM

LM stands for Lying Motherfocker :D