Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boats bad investments??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95233-boats-bad-investments.html)

WesSmith 01-27-2005 09:32 AM

Re: Boats bad investments???

I would just add that there are very few hobbies ( if any ) that are considered a " good investment "......

Playing golf, fishing, surfing, etc...none returns an investment although very few are as expensive as boating ! :D

GLH 01-27-2005 10:04 AM

Boats ..... investments....

Well from what I ear it's a lot cheaper than ex-wives as an investment...

and you can pound the hell out of a boat without buying dinner and all that crap.

ofshore 01-27-2005 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps
I was just getting ready to say this......I want to go boating, I work to be able to have toys, my debt ratio on home, truck, boat, etc is 22% of annual income. I don't work for the love of it, I work hard to be able to play hard.

Exactly!!

If you in any way even think about boating as being an investment you need to take some financial planning courses. There aren't many people that actually need a boat so for the rest of us boating is strictly for pleasure, you just have to decide how much your willing to spend on it.

GLH 01-27-2005 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by WesSmith
I would just add that there are very few hobbies ( if any ) that are considered a " good investment "......

Playing golf, fishing, surfing, etc...none returns an investment although very few are as expensive as boating ! :D

That Harvard education sure comes in handy now and then Wes!!!! :D:D:D

WesSmith 01-27-2005 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by GLH
That Harvard education sure comes in handy now and then Wes!!!! :D:D:D

Somehow my father never thought so !! :rolleyes:

Like you, I have a talent for stating the obvious... :D :evilb:

GLH 01-27-2005 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by WesSmith
Like you, I have a talent for stating the obvious... :D :evilb:

Obviously! :D

Dave M 01-27-2005 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
15-25K for a 1990 Baja?? If you'll buy that I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona I would like to show you :)

I was thinking the same thing.

Boating is entertainment. It costs period. I would recommend buying a boat that is a few years old. You can use it for a few years and still get a reasonable amount of money back.

DollaBill 01-27-2005 01:31 PM

Ok, here it is. How to be a millionaire in the boat business.

Start with $2 million and then get out as fast as you can.

(I love that one)

dockrocker 01-27-2005 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Too Old
He said investment and boat in the same sentence.....hahahahahahaha :D

Maybe a better topic might be how to avoid taking a beating on a boat. :D :D :D

Let's see.....because of my boat, I don't have a weekly shrink bill. Does that count? :D

In Fred's case, having a boat saves him on his landscaping bill, he just uses the boat for a yard decoration! :D :D

baronmarine 01-27-2005 04:15 PM

2 happies day's in a boaters live is the day he buy's and the day he sells