Anyone in Raleigh/Durham area >

Anyone in Raleigh/Durham area

Notices

Anyone in Raleigh/Durham area

Old 01-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in Raleigh/Durham area

Looks like my job will have me relocating to Raleigh/Durham area. Map shows there are a couple of lakes in the area, but what kind/size boats do you see on those lakes. We have a 29 Fever with 500HP and have been thinking about going to a 35ish foot performance boat. Would the 29 already be out-of-place on those lakes? What about a 35 (probably a 353 fastech or 35 executioner). Also, I would be interested in talking so some of you who live in that area: housing looks alot more expensive the Cincinnati , also what about boat noise police - I have silent choice on the current boat, but is that good enough for that area, its OK where I boat now . Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: Anyone in Raleigh/Durham area

I lived in Cary next to Raleigh back in the '80's and I would head to Wilmington with the Grady-White for offshore fishing or ICW cruising. It was a straight shot after they opened I-40 and was exactly 2 hours to get there. Now I have another NC boat and live the farthest inland that I have ever lived. Fortunately Lake Lanier (Atlanta GA) is large enough to enjoy the 38' Fountain but I still miss the coast.

Todd
Old 01-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Registered

lake norman,all kinds of boats your 29 should fit right in ,but of course there's bigger
Old 01-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lake right up I-85 at the Virginia border is a large lake. Cannot remember the name? I have seen a lot of OSO guys post about it. Seems to be a lot of performance boats.

We have friends in Raleigh and the usually pull over to Norman. You can really stretch the 29 out there. On a busy weekend you will be wanting more boat.

Not to bad a pull up to Smith Mountain Lake either.

Very good boating at the coast also.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
The lake right up I-85 at the Virginia border is a large lake. Cannot remember the name? I have seen a lot of OSO guys post about it. Seems to be a lot of performance boats.

We have friends in Raleigh and the usually pull over to Norman. You can really stretch the 29 out there. On a busy weekend you will be wanting more boat.

Not to bad a pull up to Smith Mountain Lake either.

Very good boating at the coast also.
are you talking about belews lake?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwdill
are you talking about belews lake?
No Belews is near Greensboro. It is pretty small. We got bored there in one day with a 21 footer!

Okay, I remember it is Kerr Lake.

Try this link.

http://www.kerrlake-nc.com/index1b.shtml
Old 01-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Raleigh. I boat on Jordan (close to home), Gaston-larger family lake 1.5 HRS and Norman-party lake 3 HRS away. On Jordan you may see me in my 30 Spectre, Byrun in his 36 Spectre and Andy in his 38 Cigarette along with others.

Sonny
Old 01-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Thanks for all of the replies. I have a map in front of me now. Jordan is to the west of "town". Kerr is to the north (looks rather big on the map). What about Falls Lake? Are those lakes deep such that you don't really have to worry about hitting bottom - I know that Kentucky lake is big, too, but alot of the boats I saw from that region usually had the skegs missing!
Again, thanks,
Bob
Old 01-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

Bob, I'm in Raleigh, and having seen Falls Lake when the water is down, I wouldn't put a john boat in it. LOTS of tree stumps and things. Had I known that when I skied on it, I would have stayed on shore! Kerr Lake on the other hand, is nice. So is Norman. My family has a house on High Rock Lake, but there aren't many performance boats there. In the last two years I've seen two Bajas and a Fountain. We are on a smaller part of the lake so that could be part of the problem too.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Drive two hours to the beach and come run the icw and ocean with us. We boat in Swansboro N.C.

Quick Reply: Anyone in Raleigh/Durham area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.