Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Camera Question. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95572-boat-camera-question.html)

Chuck 01-31-2005 05:43 PM

Boat Camera Question.

I'm thinking about having some kind of camera system put in the new boat for poker runs. I'm looking for some suggestions on make and models. I was thinking of a helmet cam, but just fixing the lens permanently on the front of the boat, will this work ok? Thanks for the input. Chuck

fund razor 02-01-2005 10:16 AM

Re: Boat Camera Question.

I was thinking about that myself. I used to sell the little bullet cams that are cheap and can be used around the house. I thought about mounting the little cam somewhere, and getting a 12volt VCR to record on.
You will need to add mics and a tiny mixer/mic preamp if you want sound.

spyguy 02-01-2005 10:31 AM

Chuck,
There are hundreds of options, bullet cameras, board cameras, etc as well as various recording possibilities, Hi-8, VHS, Digital, wireless, also portable and fixed systems, etc. We build this stuff everyday for businesses, homes, law enforcement, and motorsports. Let me know how many cameras and budget and I can give have one of the guys design a system for you. Visit our website, www.specializedgroup.com and it will give you an idea of tyes of systems and cameras.
Greg

Ron P 02-01-2005 10:32 AM

http://www.adilink.com/index.php Check out the stuff the alarm industry uses.

Freeze Frame mounts a camera and mic, then has the VCR in a pelican box with bungee cords strung in the box to absorb the shock. The VCR is suspended within the bungee cords. A little foam padding would probably help to cushion the blows. Then a dash mounted switch is installed to turn the VCR on and off. The whole system runs on it's own batteries.

fund razor 02-01-2005 10:34 AM

video only...

Bullet cam should be less than 120.00
12v VCR on Crutchfield... 69.00.

fund razor 02-01-2005 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by spyguy
Chuck,
There are hundreds of options, bullet cameras, board cameras, etc as well as various recording possibilities, Hi-8, VHS, Digital, wireless, also portable and fixed systems, etc. We build this stuff everyday for businesses, homes, law enforcement, and motorsports. Let me know how many cameras and budget and I can give have one of the guys design a system for you. Visit our website, www.specializedgroup.com and it will give you an idea of tyes of systems and cameras.
Greg

People still use Hi-8?
I would think that in that size they'd be doing MiniDV.

spyguy 02-01-2005 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by fund razor
People still use Hi-8?
I would think that in that size they'd be doing MiniDV.

Everyday, mini DV works well too but the problem is finding true playback equipment other than the camcorders. Hi-8 is what the majority of the covert and law enforcement systems we build are recording on. Hi-8 will be around longer and it has 2 times the resolution of VHS as well, plus it is a small and true 12v device. Mini DV is getting more and more popular, but with digital now it will be a minimal player.

cookee 02-01-2005 01:11 PM

In the UK a couple of guys I know are now onto the next generation stuff - They are using PVRs - Personal Video Recorders - they have enough memory to store a reasonable amount of video without tapes, and some have a video in. There is a discusion on Boatmad if you want to take a look - Video camera thread
Hope that helps!

spyguy 02-01-2005 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by cookee
In the UK a couple of guys I know are now onto the next generation stuff - They are using PVRs - Personal Video Recorders - they have enough memory to store a reasonable amount of video without tapes, and some have a video in. There is a discusion on Boatmad if you want to take a look - Video camera thread
Hope that helps!

yes, PVR's (Digital recorders) are being used as well, we use a PVR - digital recorder that will record 80+ hours from a single or up to 4 cameras plus 2 audio sources. They are becoming more and more available. In-expensive too.

GLH 02-01-2005 05:30 PM

Just point one directly on your babe that'll work for me...Let's see those new earings bouncing

:D