Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OK, I bought my first offshore performance boat; now what? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95623-ok-i-bought-my-first-offshore-performance-boat%3B-now-what.html)

Crazyhorse 02-01-2005 07:42 PM

Re: OK, I bought my first offshore performance boat; now what?

COBarry, I was about to make the same statement that another of my OSO brethren made about a sterndrive twin versus an inboard twin. You'll be surprised how slow they are to respond, especially if you try to do the one-forward, one-reverse thing that we do in cruisers. You're still going to want to use the directed-thrust capability of the outdrives even with twins. You'll find that a good crewman on the bow line is really going to come in handy when you're trying to maneuver away from a dock with the wind pushing you against it.

Jayl13 02-01-2005 07:52 PM

That boat was for sale at National Marine a little while back, It HAD 525 SC"s in it when I looked at it.
Nice boat none the less with the smaller engines in it.
Best of luck to you with it and remember experience............
j

Sean H 02-01-2005 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
Yeah, what is it about semi-displacement hulls anyway.

Oh yeah.... they only half plane. :D

these aren't semi planing hulls, those boats only run 14-18 knots tops...i am talking guys in 50 sundancers that run 20 when they could easliy run 25 and make half the wake.....

i don't see a lot of trawlers or semiplaning hulls at loto.....

Mentalpause 02-01-2005 09:21 PM

great advice here. There is another technique for listing other than using your tabs. If you run one drive slightly more tucked in (negative) than the other you can cancel out the list. The benefit of this is particularly nice in rough water, like LOTO on weekends. Especially since the LOTO water is so unpredictable. By using the drives instead of the tabs, you lesson the risk of getting in trouble if (when) you catch major air. With the tabs in different positions, you can risk some stability problems on re-entry if you catch your lower tab early on re-entry. Like I said, just a technique that works well in really rough water.

And remember when hitting those big cruiser wakes, throttle going into them, and back off at the crest.

Most important, patience and practice makes perfect.

Madmax 02-01-2005 09:56 PM

Kiss your wallet goodbye...... :drink:

Pantera1 02-01-2005 09:58 PM

Ya get a couple more credit cards ..youll need em :D :D

RonS 02-02-2005 06:43 AM

CO, alot of good advice from everyone, I'm also running a 336, feel free to call me at 262 820 0782 if there is anything you would like to know.

Ron

powerguy 02-02-2005 06:54 AM

Barry - Before getting up on plane put your tabs and drives full in. When you are up on plane raise the planes all hte way up first and then the drives up to 2 or three. You should not need the tabs except to get on plane and maybe for strong current/wind from the side. The other time you will use the planes is to keep your bow down in rough seas that you cannot get on top of. The 336 is a big heavy boat. I went from a 27 Fountain single to the twin 336 formula and docking became MUCH easier, erpecially in windy conditions. Pratice at the gas dock or other area at your marina early in the morning for practice. You will pick it up quickly.

Let's see more pics of your new boat when you pick it up.

Formula Outlaw 02-02-2005 07:15 AM

Great info in this thread.

With my 311 I rarely, practically never, touch the steering wheel during docking manuvers, I use the "shifters". Unless I'm in a strong current, or wind, I can parallel park my boat at a dock. It just takes practice. You'll be amazed at what you can do. In tight places, like getting past different length bows of boats already docked, or whatever, by "dragging" one drive, either in neutral or reverse, you can bring the bow around in any manner you wish. Then just shift back to forward to keep going. Once you get the hang of using your shifters to manuver, you'll forget you have a steering wheel, just make sure the drives are "straight".

Four blade props help also, but yours probably already has them.

CObarry 02-02-2005 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Great info in this thread.

With my 311 I rarely, practically never, touch the steering wheel during docking manuvers, I use the "shifters". Unless I'm in a strong current, or wind, I can parallel park my boat at a dock. It just takes practice. You'll be amazed at what you can do. In tight places, like getting past different length bows of boats already docked, or whatever, by "dragging" one drive, either in neutral or reverse, you can bring the bow around in any manner you wish. Then just shift back to forward to keep going. Once you get the hang of using your shifters to manuver, you'll forget you have a steering wheel, just make sure the drives are "straight".

Four blade props help also, but yours probably already has them.

Looks like 3 blades....