Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   turbo charger Hustler? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95718-turbo-charger-hustler.html)

BigSilverCat 02-25-2005 12:52 AM

Re: turbo charger Hustler?

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I like how the software computes your average ,cool

Who is your engine guy?

Rob :D

business partner of mine.

NOBODY 02-25-2005 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by bob
I'll bet as the fuel prices continue to go up and the noise cops increase their pressure, turbo motor acceptance will really begin to grow. If you think these look like Gale Banks motors, may want to try some glasses :rolleyes:

Maybe you need glasses.

Lets see banks kit had:
carb before turbos
intercooler after turbos
intercooler on top of manifold
exhaust manifolds

K E's had:
throttle bodies before turbos
intercooler after turbos
exhaust manifolds

hummmmmmm
sounds the same to me.

A custom engine would have:
headers
cool sheet metal intake
throttle bodies on the manifold
intercooler separate from the motor
trick tubing

Doesn't sound like an old banks kit to me.
At least banks kits had a little tubing. Those have none.

NOBODY 02-25-2005 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
Speaking of small stroke big blocks with turbos, here's a dyno sheet of a 4.500 bore 3.75 stroke motor my engine guy built a few years back for a 24 eliminator cat with #6 drive. On this dyno pull it was running the injector map rich on high rpm, that's why it was losing power early. Re mapped It and then made 2146 @ 7500 on race fuel.

Sweet numbers!

I was at the shootout last year and watched you run. That must have some serious power to run that fast with no gear in that short of distance.

How much does that old boat weigh? Why no gear?

NOBODY 02-25-2005 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
Leon Derebery is building twin turbo motors for his next project, and a friend of mine in Oklahoma is also building them.

But lets not forget the turbodiesel motors. Jay Pilini put a pair of Yanmar 440s in one of his 36' cats and it is reportedly running 100+. MTI's chief rigger Gary Stray told me he could rig 4 of the new Yanmar 480s in the 44 and it would run well over 100.

So turbomotors may well be the future, but not just in gasoline motors.

Do you Know the CI or some specs of what Leon's building and how close he is to lighting them off?

TxHawk 02-25-2005 10:09 AM

http://www.dereberyperformancemarine.com/beyond.htm

Derebery's engines are 650+ci. I cant remember exactly. The boat wont be done for a while and the engines are going through a lot of fabrication. Lets just say the final numbers are going to be up there.

thedonz 02-25-2005 12:34 PM

all i know the guy in hustler booth was telling someone that boat ran 130 mph with twin 850 hp hahahaha :p now that's funny

donz jr

Ron P 02-25-2005 02:08 PM

All I know is, I've been to 115 on a 388 with 675 KE and Arnesons. 130 from 850s doesn't sound that far off, if you have the balls for it.

Rik 02-25-2005 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by NOBODY
Maybe you need glasses.

Lets see banks kit had:
carb before turbos
intercooler after turbos
exhaust manifolds

K E's had:
throttle bodies before turbos
intercooler after turbos
exhaust manifolds

hummmmmmm
sounds the same to me.

A custom engine would have:
headers
cool sheet metal intake
throttle bodies on the manifold
intercooler separate from the motor
trick tubing

Doesn't sound like an old banks kit to me.
At least banks kits had a little tubing. Those have none.

I'd say the KE stuff more resembles the Gentry items that Carson is making.

SCARABJ 02-25-2005 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rik
I'd say the KE stuff more resembles the Gentry items that Carson is making.

Rik you are correct eickert got that setup from carson B. and most parts are from the gentry setup.. eickert built these the way hustler wanted them.. he is designing a new twin turbo setup but it probably will not be COOL because it does not have 40 foot of tubing and a intercooler in the cabin :rolleyes:

bob 02-25-2005 06:19 PM

A common challenge in building motor packages for boats is the space confinements; height and width. KE attempted to keep the height to a minimum and the package as narrow as possible. While we have seen some wild pics of some high tech turbo projects which made tremendous power, most would not fit in a boat. Keep the width down and you install in stagger and side by side installations. Keep the height down, you possibly eliminate the need for a custom hatch. KE has been down the engine marketing road at least a couple times in his career :rolleyes: KE does however have a couple different versions coming down the road that are more technologically advanced and will no doubt make more power :D