Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   bui (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/95785-bui.html)

offshoredrillin 02-04-2005 09:04 PM

Re: bui

The key I have always felt is education, not legislation. Seems there are about 35 million laws trying to enforce 10 commandmants. excuse me while I get my bazooka to kill this house fly....

Pantera1 02-04-2005 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
The key I have always felt is education, not legislation. Seems there are about 35 million laws trying to enforce 10 commandmants. excuse me while I get my bazooka to kill this house fly....

No your right .. Id like to run for president someday under the slogan "Mind your god damn business"

Pantera1 02-04-2005 09:11 PM

Thank god I have some jailbird to remind me not to hurt myself ..rubbish

kyle55 02-04-2005 10:15 PM

This is just my way of doing it I know alot of you would never consider this but I'll share it anyway. Because I know accidents happen and if you just happen to have been drinking (not necessarily drunk) when they do happen your gonna get hammered. I have 2 good friends that will likely be on the boat with me on any given day, we all drive the boat on a pretty regular basis. By doing this we all take an interest in the boat and help do the tasks that are needed. The other reason is there is a 1 in 3 chance that one of us is going to be in good shape when we head to the dock. We normally kinda decide whos turn it is to act right for that day early on. This is sometimes decideded by default because someone got sht faced last time and had to be nursed home and normally if you did that you feel kinda guilty and offer. I can almost always refrain from getting sht faced because of previous scares (in my dumb azz beginer boating days) the cool part about that is I never get an argument about handing over the keys if I wanna tie one on. I can actually attribute my turn around from being a regular dumb azz to this site. I'll never forget the first time I came in on monday and read the forums and saw a story about a guy running his boat 40 feet on shore and in to a tree when only the night before I was so hammered I could'nt drive home but ran my boat 60mph from the turtle club to my dock. THAT REALLY WOKE MY AZZ UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yss 02-04-2005 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Yup thats sad but you know what ..I dont need to read that $hit :mad:

I agree.
Lights or no lights he lived very near to where the accident occured. He should have known where that pier was. Oh and where his pier was.

wantsa311 02-04-2005 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
Passengers are ok. But if they see the skipper hit a beer. It's over. They SAW you drink and drive.

The state boys are the only ones who take the sticker. They are the ones who issue it... they are the ones who take it back. Literally. I imagine that it's mostly symbolic, but it sure works on other drivers!!

Once the skipper drinks. The boat registration is yanked.

The rest of the agencies will let someone else drive the boat home. (If it otherwise passes inspection)

Which state are you in? I'm in Michigan, last summer the Coasties inspected my boat. I was the only one aboard, open beer in the holder by the helm. No problem, they cautioned me to be responsible, inspected my boat and split.

wantsa311 02-04-2005 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And by the way, that was NOT an endorsement for drunk boating or driving. If you look close enough, that's a MADD ribbon on my antenna.

BonnieOutlaw 02-05-2005 06:34 AM

Just a question....have you guys ever known somebody to be a "Jody"? If you did, you wouldn't talk like that - well not that harshly anyway.

No, I never got a DUI, DWI or anything like that.

While I semi agree with the Darwinism thing....just make sure you're only hurting yourself.

Cap, love the millions of laws to follow 10 commandments. VERY true.

bouyhunter 02-05-2005 06:55 AM

does anyone else notice that the way the story reads, it sounds more like a "chance for early parole". Submit this story and get out early because the judge knows you feel really bad....
But it still does bring up a good point.
I'll admit I was a previous offender of this.
Really F-ing stupid!!!
Alot can happen on the water, especially after dark.
I remember about 7 years ago, partying at the Maumee Bay harbor light - yeah, I had a couple "pops", but not wasted.
heading back down the river to my dock, I "grazed" an unlit Bouy (Fund Razor knows what I'm talking about in this area). I was lined up with the shoreline Nav. lights to run in the channel, and all of a sudden I felt a big "thump" on the starboard (only about 8' up the deck from where I was driving). I was the only one onboard, boat felt fine, got her home and tied up.
Tore up some glass, broke a cabin window, trashed the rubrail.
I never even saw the bouy (BTW - it's #58 on the way into Maumee river). This scared the Hell out of me. If I would have been a foot or 2 to the right I would have run over it and inevitably sunk - middle of the night and alone, and these are serious large steel bouys!!!.
I was lucky.
To save face I had to make a joke of it, Hence my Boat/Screen name Bouyhunter.
I don't think it's wrong to have a beer, but make sure you are capable of running your boat back home.
I certainly don't agree with the "one sip and we remove your reg. stickers", nor do I beleive that all people are drunk at .1% or now.08% - thats all Gov't feel good B.S. and a generator for $$$ to fuel the system and special interest programs, as well as the insurance Co.
Enough ranting...