Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any Info on 1987 Cobalt Condurre 300 S? >

Any Info on 1987 Cobalt Condurre 300 S?

Notices

Any Info on 1987 Cobalt Condurre 300 S?

Old 02-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any Info on 1987 Cobalt Condurre 300 S?

Any info on these boats or this model?
I took a look at a '87 Cobalt Condurre '30 w 8' beam, yesterday, w a pair of Mercruiser 420s and TRS drives.
It looks like a thunderbird formula from the same period, slightly raised deck, too much wood trim to be really light.
There are no maintenence records or rebuild info on the motors, but said to be rebuilt, the motors/engine bay looked clean, the oil not too bad, they both had newer Holley 750s on top
The boat was on a trailer so no start up.
There was one rip in the rear bench but th interior looked ok.
There was one crack on the cockpit sole from the starboard door trim , about 4 inches to just under the driver's foot rest, which was started at the place where the footrest screwed in.
It has a light bar/radar arch, (looks only) that has some paint chips/cracks at the base.
The trim is in good shape, it hasn't been knocked down from open water pounding.
(fresh water location for at least the last few years that's known).
It has botttom paint and the hull is clean.
The cabin is somewhat musty but dry, (It's winter and wet up there), the brown cushions and probably carpet, (kind of a medium shag) are musty, and at least the cushions need a good washing if they unzip, but it could probably be dried up and cleaned.
It has a small sink and some minor galley interior hatches that are swelled. The hours are just under 300 per motor on the gauge w no guarantees of accuracy.
Overall the boat looks pretty good, the outdrives have all their paint on them and a pair of Mirage SS props.
The graphics paint is somewhat faded but the asking price on the boat is low NADA @ $25.500 and the broker was eager for offers.
Any Info on this boat?
any tips on what else to look for when buying it?
It will be in the water soon and I will be back up there in a few weeks on business and to see it again.

http://community.webshots.com/album/268278008ADoGPQ

Thanks
For your help.
Evan
Old 02-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any Info on 1987 Cobalt Condurre 300 S?

Would spend the money to have a full inspection from a third party licensed individual. Seems like you could get something a bit newer for that money. From what I know Cobolts are well built, a bit heavy. I see the one you are looking at has bottom paint, and TRS drives. Parts for those are getting more costly.

Just my .02

Saw this 91 Scarab with 454 and Bravos on a trailer. The ad online says 32,500, but I have seen it in the Boattrader for 30,000 obo. By the way the ad indicates it is a single, but it is a twin 454\B1 boat. Look at the pics.

http://www.iboats.com/sites/daniaboa...m_index_2.html

Good luck

E.S.

Last edited by Minx20; 02-06-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Registered

Thats a strong , heavy boat ..That was a carrera mold. 420's have great internals and a trs is stronger than a bravo ..worst case id go with konrad drives before converting to bravo ..Get a survey . Id say for 15K your getting alot of boat .

Last edited by Pantera1; 08-02-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Registered

Minx, the thing about that Scarab is that is in Broward County, the Powerboat capoital of the world, I'm sure there are plenty of deals to be found and some deals on old Magnums and Donzis etc.
The Cobalt is up in the PNW, Where Thunderboats seem, so far, not to be too plentiful.

The dealer indicated he is anxious to sell it and I'm with you Pantera, I figure and opening bid of $15k, and not budge over $18,500, and it would be a good boat to work with if i don't have to go too deep into it for a season or 2.

Minx, That is an excellent suggestion for an inspection.
What do those cost?
Thanks
Evan
Old 02-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Registered

Oh, and of course, the total rookie question, with a pair of 420s in reasonably good condition, what should she weigh, and what kind of speed could I expect in relatively flat water.

Is anyone familiar with the hull and the ride characteristics?

maybe more familar with the carrera hull?

Thanks
Evan
Old 02-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Like Pantera said they hulls are from Carrera boats in FLA and then rigged by Cobalt. Powerboat magazine did a right up on them along time ago solid boat back then just have a survey to see what time has done to it. No more then 15k Its an old boat.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have all the specs on those boats as I did a complete strip and rebuild including blower motors and Bravo drives. Call Alex at the Cobalt factory he helped me with the info. The boat as I recall is in the 8600# range which is heavy for a thirty footer and at 75 mph started to chine looking for a set it felt like; 26 degree hull I think.