Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lets hear Your Best /worst Gas station story! >

Lets hear Your Best /worst Gas station story!

Notices

Lets hear Your Best /worst Gas station story!

Old 02-08-2005, 01:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lets hear Your Best /worst Gas station story!

For years I kept my express cruiser at a local marina. There was a young hispanic guy who worked on the gas dock whose English wasn't up to par, but he was the nicest person you could ever want to meet. Long story short, one day he filled a gas boat with diesel, or a diesel boat with gas, I don't remember which, the owner of the boat, obviously not paying attention, fired the boat off and went to leave. Ruined both motors, the attendant was fired almost immediately thereafter. I always felt bad for him, and I also feel it is the responsibility of the owner of the boat to check what is going on around him/her.

Another time, I was running a demo day over a holiday weekend for a friend who is a local boat dealer. We had a handful of jet boats, I believe the company was Vortex . . . goofy looking 20' or 22' bathtub looking jet boats, with 502MAG's in them, wild! Went to go fill one up after running it all day, and dropped the dealer's credit card on the dock, through the crack and into the river . . . never to be seen again. That was a tough day . . .

And last, but definitely not least, while being run by my father, (who still prefers a 20' bowrider to any other boat on the river) the same express cruiser as in the first paragraph was in Palm Beach one weekend and dad decides that the holding tank needs some deodorizing solution. Needless to say, the blue slime made for an interesting addition to the fresh water tank . . . and he wonders why I won't let him touch either of MY boats!

Oh, and by the way, the worst thing that ever happened to me personally at a gas dock, was not dating the girl who worked there . . . I was still in highschool, and she was a couple of years ahead of me, I figured she'd never be interested in a young guy like me! What a schmuck I am! Gotta love those bikini clad well tanned Florida beauties in the summer!

Harry

Last edited by Cig35Mistress; 02-08-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
(car related)
In Miami a few years back, I had left my cellphone in a crapper stall after a bad encounter with something I ate at a Cuban restaurant that needed to leave in a hurry. As always happens, the I got 3 important phone calls, and 2 unimportant ones, all while I was trying to oblige my impatient plumbing... Anyhow, I left the phone in there, got 2 minutes away from the bathroom when I remembered and dashed back to retrieve it. Of course it was already missing and probably on its way to be used to set up illegal activities... So the bottom line is that I was now in Miami and was phone-less. So the next day I had to make a trip inland to Hialeah and got a little lost. I looked for a pay phone, and stopped at a rundown gas station to fill up and make a call. The place was rundown but was very busy. I stuck the nozzle in the tank, and there was no lever latch on the nozzle, so I stuck my gas cap under the handle (which I do all the time). I went into the store to ask where the payphone was. The line was long and nobody was speaking English. I asked some guys standing in line if they knew where the phone was, and they spoke spanish or Cuban at me. I finally got the guy behind the counter to point outside. I went out and looked around and almost gave up when I finally saw the phone. I went to the phone and dropped change in, but it said my call was long distance. So I dug thru my wallet for a phone card and started over. I finally got connected and began to talk when I notice somebody is yelling at me. I look over and he screams IS THAT YOUR CAR!?! pointing to my car. It is in the center of a 75 foot diameter puddle of gasoline and a huge bubbling stream is gurgling out of the filler neck. I slam the phone down and run to my car. Everybody has run away from the filling area except one old lady who is still filling her tank. I yank the decrepit hose out of my tank and pull the gas cap out. The kickoff on the hose isn't functional and it was gonna pump the whole underground tank out into the parking lot. I hang up the nozzle and then realize I am standing in about 3/4" of 92 octane lake. I do not exaggrate when I say the lake is 75 feet by 20 feet big. I'm REALLY wanting to get out of there cause I'm hearing lots of mean sounding spanish being yelled (or Cuban) in my direction. But I'm not ABOUT to try to start the car. I'm concerned about a spark, but I also know the cats are still up to temp (1100 degrees or so) and I don't want the radiator fan to stir up the fumes when I crank it. So I open up the door, throw her in N. I reach over and yank my receipt out of the gas pump and push the car out to the edge of the lake, the parking lot goes downhill from there, so I gather some speed and hop in. I coast out into the road and fire that puppy up. And away I went.

Now I notice my feet carried the 3/4" deep lake of gasoline inside with me. Bout to knock me out from the fumes. I drive down the road with the windows open and go in a Walgreens and buy 5 boxes of baking soda to soak up the fumes (seemed logical at the time). I throw it under the front mat, on top of the front mat, and all in the driver's floor area. I go run my errands, make my visit in Hialeah, and return to Miami Beach. When I get back to the hotel on Collins Ave, there are two cops standing in the breezeway next to the valet stand. I pull up to the valet and get out. I wait for the valet since he isn't there and nod to the cops. I don't even pay any attention but I guess they are really checking me out. I see the valet so I turn to watch him approach. He comes up and hands me a valet slip and I open the door for him. About that time, one of the cops stops the valet and says he needs to talk to me. I turn around and both cops are RIGHT THERE. They ask if I mind showing them some ID. I say that I don't mind, but ask if there is anything wrong. I pull out my ID and hand it to one of them. The other asks me what my business is in Miami. I tell him I'm down to visit a cousin and to enjoy the area. He asks if I have come down from Tennessee. I say yes. He asks if I am alone. I say no. He asks if he can search my car. I tell him that I'd rather he didn't but only because I need to get cleaned up for dinner and don't really want to waste the time. The second cop says that I don't need to be worried for the little delay, and that they are going to earh the car regardless. About that time two more cops cars pull up. No lights on. The first cop opens my door, bends down, pinches up some damn baking soda, and TASTES it! He asks "what is this?". I said baking soda. He said "for WHAT?" I said to get the gasoline smell out. I got gas on my shoes and tracked it in the car. He laughed. I told him there was more in the Walgreen's bag, along with a receipt showing I didn't steal it. He opened the bag and inspected the contents. I told him to look in the trunk if he wanted, but could I please let the man park my car so I could go in? They did look in the trunk, but only took another couple of seconds. They apologized and told me that they were very suspicious of the black Mercedes, the guy with white dust on his ankles and shoes, and the white dust on the floor of the car. Thought they really had something.

(boat related)
Watched a guy in a 18' aluminum Cherokee vee hull runabout fill his tanks. He then cranked on the 1965 Evinrude 75 until the battery went dead. Then he pulled the cover off and choked it and pumped the bulb until gas poured out the front of the carb throat. Pulled the start cord a couple of times with no luck. A dock guy said he had some jumpers and went to get them. The guy came back with a battery and some jumper cables. The guy put his cowling back on the Evinrude. Then they hooked up the jumper cables. Then (remember the gas drooling out of the carb throat?) he hit the key and the BOMB went off! BANG !

The Evinrude cowling went STRAIGHT UP probably 40 feet high, maybe more. Then came splashing back into the lake. Bobbed up once, then sank forever. There wasn't even any smoke around the motor. The explosion blew out the fire as soon as it started. The guy, though, stood there frozen and white for ten or fifteen seconds, then he leaped out of the boat - ran over and grabbed the dock extinguisher, and emptied the contents all over the flywheel of his Evinrude...
Better late than never.

Better yet, how long did it take to write all that????
Old 02-08-2005, 04:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the mid 70's I worked at an Exxon station. It was Christmas time and all the customers were exchanging holiday greetings. As one customer pulled away he stuck his head out the window and said "Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year", I replied "same to you".
Well the guy rolled about 20 feet, slammed on the brakes, jumped out and said 'WHATTA 'YA MEAN...F*CK YOU!!??".
True story.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a Incident at my local station pulled up to the first row of pumps to the starboard side filled the tank, Got in the truck and pulled forward to move to the outside (port side)
as I was backing up a guy pulled up behind me blocking the pump I was about to use.
I stopped the truck and got out only to find the guy walking into the store I caught up to him and asked " sir I was about to use that pump could I please ask you to move to the other side" His responce ! Why don't you Go PHUCK yourself" I ain't movin. I was stuned
This guy was in his mid 50s and didn't appear to be a dirt bag.. I responded with You are just a model human being! I bet if your mother (if she was still alive ) would be proud of what you have become! I wanted to Beat the ++":"": out of him! I went back to the boat and waited he came out pumped 5.oo worth of gas and left ! If My wife and son were not with me Id be in Jail!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Registered

Back in 80' or maybe 81 while living in Maine, I had a 63' Scout, little 152 ci four banger. Best vehicle I ever drove in deep snow.

Anyway it had a 12 gallon tank on each side of the vehicle. One tank had rusted out and was unuseable, the other had a slight "crack" or whatever at the very top of the tank. Well I'm standing there filling the one tank and this DROP DEAD ABSOLUTELY GEORGOUS REDHEAD WITH JUST TOE CLAM TIGHT JEANS goes "sashaying" into the station with a cut off tee shirt and no bra. I mean this check would stop time. So I'm oogling her for all I'm worth when I start to "smell the smell". I look down and this puddle about 10 x 10 is starting to spread away from where I'm standing cause the concrete sloped away from the pumps slightly. So as casually as I can, I put the nozzle back in the pump, saunter into the station to pay for the gas trying to look completely oblivious of anything wrong. I'm standing behind this chick and she finally leaves and I pay for the gas. About that time the kid behind the counter looks out at her and notices my Scout sitting in this giant puddle. He asks me in a rather panic stricken voice (he's about 19 or so) "IS THAT GAS??????" I said rather meekly, yes, I have a slight crack in the top of the tank and overfilled it. He said "WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT?????"

I responded, "I'm gonna push the Scout outta the puddle and get the hell outta here before the place blows up"...... Always felt kind of bad about it. Never went back to that station again and the last I saw of the kid he was heading out there with bags of kitty litter. Am happy to report the station did not blow up.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Registered

One of my best friends who still lives in Maine was filling up his 21 ft. CuddyCabin. He's pumping and pumping and is thinking to himself that the tank must've been really empty. Finally he looks at the pump and realizes he's pumped about 70 gallons more than the capacity of the tank. He'd accidentally stuck the nozzle in a rod holder which is right next to the gas cap and pumped about 135 gallons of gas into the bilge/cockpit of the boat.

The station (boat on a trailer) called the Fire Department, they brought pumping equipment to pump out the gas, into a disposal container. Bottom line: he pumped 130 gallons of gas into his boat and not the fuel tank and had to pay for the gas, had to pay the Fire Dept. something like 700 bucks for the emergency response, and never got the gas back.

He sold the boat. Got another one where the gas filler was nowhere near anything else. To this day that subject cannot be brought up.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have dropped both the credit card and the boat keys into the water during fill up, on different times
Old 02-08-2005, 08:31 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Filled a fresh water tank in a 33 Sea Ray with gas. That was fun.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:47 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
I have dropped both the credit card and the boat keys into the water during fill up, on different times
Nice little marriage tester there!!!!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
I know you guys have a sweet boat... but it must be a pretty bad neighborhood to pull the boat keys during the fill up at the GAS DOCK.

My favorite responses to "Do you fish with that thing?"

Answers: "Not on purpose."
"How fast are your fish?"

Quick Reply: Lets hear Your Best /worst Gas station story!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.