Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Beware of extortion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/96096-beware-extortion.html)

ctadams21 02-08-2005 12:20 PM

Beware of extortion

To all:

I recently got an email update that was too good to be true. A 90 Cig Top Gun in excellent shape with both motors recently rebuilt etc. $31,000. The ad only had an email to reply to. I sent the owner some questions and he wrote this back:

Hi there,
The boat is as new, no damages, all papers are ok, no outstanding finance. I have manufacturer certificate of origin, another 2 years international warranty and original keys.
I sell it right now for only $31.000 as I am in Spain and so is the boat. I will cover all the shipping and delivery services(with insurance and 15 days return policy), and I assume my responsability to deliver it to your home . I will ship it to your address as soon as you confirm your purchase. As payment method I use Cash On Delivery (COD) with a deposit of $6500 by money order, after you check the shipping.
I want to sell my boat as soon as possible and, as being a man of word, I reserve it for you until you've made up your mind.
Waiting your quick answer .
Best regards

No name or number given. Who could ship a boat from Spain and sell it that cheap?
I did some more searching and the exact same description and boat pics are located at watersedge.com. I called them and they still have the boat and it is listed for over $70K.
It sounds like someone is trying to extort money from people looking for a great deal.
If it sounds too good to be true. It is.
Anyway the only thing I have is an email address and I have let watersedge know that someone ripped off their description and pics.
Anyone had similar experiences?

BLee 02-08-2005 12:54 PM

Re: Beware of extortion

Yeah that's a screwy deal there. Way to be heads up. :cool:

Waterfoul 02-08-2005 12:59 PM

We've seen this before.... send em your $6500 and never see it, the boat, or the paper work again. Scam for sure!

Wally 02-08-2005 01:10 PM

Tell them you have a friend who lives in Spain and is willing to travel to come see the boat and take pics for you.....see if they ever respond back! :D Or better yet that you will be traveling to spain in the next few weeks etc.....

t500hps 02-08-2005 02:03 PM

Let the games begin!!!!! :evilb:

Pantera1 02-08-2005 02:03 PM

Actually thats not extortion ..Extortion is when someone is holding something on you ..Like Ill send pictures of you cheating on your wife to her unless you pay me 30K
Someone saying they have something to sell that they actually do not is fraud ..And if anyone sends someone money without proof of the goods being in their possession then they are incompetent :D

BLee 02-08-2005 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:D :D

Interceptor 02-08-2005 02:06 PM

waters edge has that boat on ebay with a disclaimer regarding a second party offering the boat. I'm guessing the spainards are the second party.

BLee 02-08-2005 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Corrado
Brandon,

man, your going to make me renew my subscription so I can see pix again.
It's been boring here lately, this could be fun> :drink:

Dude renew! Your missing the fun! :D :drink:

cig1988 02-08-2005 03:12 PM

Nah, I'd email him back and use the scam "I'll send you more $ and send me the balance back" thing.