Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   mufflers suck (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/96135-mufflers-suck.html)

Hot Duck 02-09-2005 04:25 PM

Re: mufflers suck

Originally Posted by Indy
Glad I live on the coast...let 'em ROAR :evilb:

I agree. They have not messed with us about making noise around here yet, but I am sure that our day will come. There have been some complaints from the people that we call "come heres". These are the people that moved to the area, bought a new condo on the water and now want to change everything. They seem to want to get rid of all of the boats and jet skis because they claim that "they disturb their peace", but so far nobody is paying any real attention to them.

Right now I use the mufflers coming in and out of harbors just to be nice, but once we get out the inlet into the ocean they can kiss my a$$. This new law says that there are no restrictions one mile offshore, so even if MD adopts it or actually begins to enforce it's current 90 db law, we will still be able to let it scream one mile off of the beach.

I guess that old saying is true about one man's noise being another man's music. To me it is certainly music, but it seems that I am part of ever diminishing group thanks to the "come heres" trying to have it their way all over the country. :(

Formula Outlaw 02-09-2005 04:28 PM

Nothing sweeter than:

Thru Hulls in D' Major.....:drink:

CAP071 02-09-2005 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Nothing sweeter than:

Thru Hulls in D' Major.....:drink:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh YES

Not sure what Hi-Perf 2000's Buddy's boat has, but last year at the NJ Camden races it gave me a Chubby it was so sweet. I think it's dry exhaust on like 700hp motors.

Formula Outlaw 02-09-2005 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by CAP071
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh YES

Not sure what Hi-Perf 2000's Buddy's boat has, but last year at the NJ Camden races it gave me a Chubby it was so sweet. I think it's dry exhaust on like 700hp motors.

From the sounds (every pun intended) of it, I'd be chubbin' too.

frequentflyer 02-09-2005 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
I have not made a "balls to the wall" run yet. Will do so next time out. First time out I took it easy and just let it get used to being on the water again and making sure everything was working right.

I did notice that the midrange seems stronger, but that's a "seat of the pants" feeling. I will tell you that in the water, that Outlaw is about an inch and a half higher out of the water when docked. Between removing the Silent Thunder Box, and removing the old "cast iron anchor" Merc. exhaust units and going with the EMI Thunder aluminun system, I lost over five hundred pounds right at the props. If you have a swim platform and get two 250 lb. guys to stand on the platform at once, you will notice the back of your boat go down a little. Well mine went "up" that little. 311's are assheavy boats, and it's like I shortened the "X" demension a little and I run Hydo Quad IV props, which are stern lifting. Between the weight loss, the higher the boat is in the water now, and the new exhaust system I am hoping to see 4mph more out of her anyway. Will let you know.

Pic 2.. It's a beautiful thing

AIR TIME 02-09-2005 06:01 PM

in NE cape cod and islands to go in the harbors you need mufflers I just ride around and go to the beaches and sandbars I LOVE MY S/M DRYPIPES :evilb: :D :evilb:

Outdrive1 02-09-2005 06:28 PM

Whats invovled in adding silent choice exhaust? Can you do it without removing the engine or drive? I looks like to me that the mufflers aren't really going to work anyways. I have an itegrated swim deck, with headers and a blower my boat has no chance of passing that test. It usually scares who ever is behind me when I start it up. I was thinking the only real solution is to add the silent choice exhaust. Any one have any better ideas?

Byrdman 02-09-2005 07:02 PM

The more noise the merrier.

Steve Snider 02-09-2005 08:30 PM

I went through loud exhaust crap in Northern Illinois. I had a supercharged Eliminator Daytona and was probably "most wanted" by law enforcement and the Homeowner Assoc. geeks on the Rock River. The Teague switchable 4 1/2" exhaust muffler tips give you a 15-20 decible drop at your fingertips. See cops....mufflers on...no Cops ....mufflers off. They work great and the muffling device is inside the engine compartment. Looks like regular exhaust tips. For states where switchable is not legal. Hide the switch or better yet mount a dummy that says EXHAUST. When LE sees the switch show him that it is not operable and take the decible test. Sold the Eliminator and bought a Cig w/540's that decibles at 105. Riv cops and even Lake Michigan Winthrop Harbor cops said I couldn't boat in Illinois anymore. Moved to south Florida...nothing but thumbs up and smiles here.

Formula Outlaw 02-09-2005 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Byrdman
The more noise the merrier.

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: