Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ummm. Maybe you didn't see this... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/96372-ummm-maybe-you-didnt-see.html)

Steve_H 02-12-2005 04:05 PM

Re: Ummm. Maybe you didn't see this...

its certainly unfortunate for the buyer but i fail to see how Mr. Cozzi did anything wrong.

he could go after the seller but thats probably a waste of time and money. in the end only the lawyers will make money.

nothing in the marine industry surprises me anymore :rolleyes:

NJgr8ful 02-12-2005 04:18 PM

When I had my Cig surveyed in December (Michigan NAMS/SAMS certified) nothing with engines included except general visuals. I paid a, different, certified mechanic $300+ just to do the leak down/compression tests and even that would not neccessarily show the types of discrepencies claimed.

Crazyhorse 02-12-2005 04:22 PM

Where's BGIII? He's usually posting on theses "Payton Place" threads. I think he's one of those guys with a big CB antenna on the 1974 4-door Chevy BelAir and a Purple Horny muffler. When he's home the internet takes the place of the CB radio,,,,,,,,,"breaker-breaker, good buddy".
Don't sweat it Ed. You can't keep everyone happy, but I think you've satisfied the majority of us.

Edward R. Cozzi 02-12-2005 09:02 PM

You guys are the best! I feel bad when stuff like this happens, but sometimes things are just beyond your control.

I think if I had noticed that the good running engine was a Gen VI and told the buyer about it being a later version of the port engine that it wouldn't have made any difference to him anyway. He was buying the boat so reasonably cheap that he would have never passed on this boat for that reason.

It's too bad because I really like this guy and his wife. When they came down here we all went out to dinner and had a great time.

Pantera1 02-12-2005 09:18 PM

Ed your reputation preceeds you ..and its as good as it gets IMHO.
Do you or "should you" as standard practice have the buyer or whomever uses your services ..sign a waiver ?

offshoredrillin 02-12-2005 09:22 PM

Ed, I'll fax you my "contract" that I have people sign prior to me working on their car, as its hard for me to tell if a panel has been blended. I am not responsible for crappy paint that peels. as they go down the page, they must initial each spot to show that it has been read and sign at the bottom. I find it actually put them more at ease, because it addresses some of the concerns they may have and forgot to ask....

Rob

Edward R. Cozzi 02-12-2005 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by CAP071
Doesn't the Block itself have a stamping on it to tell exactly what it was from the factory?

Capo:
The block has a casting number in the rear, but it doesn't tell you what camshaft is installed in the engine.
Mercruiser installs a Crane cam in the HP500.

wantsa311 02-12-2005 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
Here are two pages of the survey that I enter into evidence.

Why is the port engine S/N listed but starboard is "Unknown"? If I was the buyer I would have asked this question and maybe the issue would have surfaced then.

Edward R. Cozzi 02-12-2005 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by wantsa311
Why is the port engine S/N listed but starboard is "Unknown"? If I was the buyer I would have asked this question and maybe the issue would have surfaced then.

Good Question. Many times the S/N is smeared off the label that is attached to the flame arrestor. Sometimes I can find paperwork on the boat that gives me the numbers.

Yesterday I did a 75' Sunseeker Predator with twin 1200 hp MAN diesels. The port engine had a tag that was blank! Never stamped at the MAN factory!

cig1988 02-13-2005 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse
Where's BGIII? He's usually posting on theses "Payton Place" threads. I think he's one of those guys with a big CB antenna on the 1974 4-door Chevy BelAir and a Purple Horny muffler. When he's home the internet takes the place of the CB radio,,,,,,,,,"breaker-breaker, good buddy".
Don't sweat it Ed. You can't keep everyone happy, but I think you've satisfied the majority of us.

LMAO... For what its worth, if I was to buy a boat in FL, I would trust Ed with a survey. If this charactor still owes you $$$, can you file for a mechanics lein?