Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/96714-power-joke-magazine-poll-subscriptions.html)

Dean Ferry 02-17-2005 11:55 AM

Re: Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

I think everyone knows how I feel about this RAG publication.
MD

KNOT-RIGHT 02-17-2005 11:55 AM

I will continue to support all and any Offshore powerboat
media. Internet or Printed material dosnt matter.

I subscribe to all the magazines.
I am a paying member on all the forums.

I take boating seriously.
Gerry :drink:

Reed Jensen 02-17-2005 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the tech articles.... they are so insightful.... :evilb:

drypipetiger 02-17-2005 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
My girlfriend just got me a subscription for Valentines day. She must have gotten it out of one of my prior ones ( I buy it once in a while from the newstand if it has something in it I want to read). She also just renewed (for 2 yrs) my PRA for Christmas. I like a girl who knows what to get me!!! :D

To hell with PB subscription.

Tell Judy a real woman buys gas cards!! :D:D

Chris288 02-17-2005 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Troutly
I let mine run out. I just got kind of tired of the same ol' same ol' boat test reports. They all read the same, just insert different boat name and performance numbers.

There are some real POS out there that they have tested and they still wont call a spade a spade.

Aint that the truth !! :rolleyes:

AGGRAVATION28 02-17-2005 12:31 PM

I've subscribed more years than I want to remember.....they were printed in black and white with a little color thrown in for splash. If mine didn't arrive by a certain day each month, I was crabby and difficult to live with until it arrived. I no longer subscribe or even bother to read them when available. Too many vehicles and the featured boats, while impressive, are way too expensive for the average person. I can't relate to them anymore. PB, are you listening?

LIOPA 02-17-2005 12:52 PM

Get PB but tired of the same stuff in it.

I will stick with EXTREME BOATS ....they seem to be more diversified and more realistic in the product reviews with owners instead of advertisers.

Waterfoul 02-17-2005 12:54 PM

I think we've found something we can all agree on (well, most of us anyway)... PB magazine does articles on what can best be described by most of us as "extreme" boats that none of us will ever be able to afford. I know some on here can, but of the 20,000+ members, I'd venture a guess and say 98% of us will never own the boats they do articles and tests on.

So, who want's to start a ragazine that deals only with boats that can be had on a trailer with warranteed power for under $100,000?? Some of us (not me!) can see one of these in our future at some point... but come on..... a $600,000 Cigarette or $1 million Skater? Nice pics, but how about something for the rest of us?? I liked it back when Hot Boat would do an entire issue on "mini offshore boats" or something like that. You know the type, 28 Nordic, 28 Pantera, 25 Baja, 25 Checkmate, 26 Powerquest, 28 Sunsation, 26 Sonic, 26 Laveycraft, etc, etc, etc...... All these boats can be had with good power, on a trailer, for less than $90K. Bust out the 401K loans!!!

Indy 02-17-2005 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Waterfoul
So, who want's to start a ragazine that deals only with boats that can be had on a trailer with warranteed power for under $100,000?? Some of us (not me!) can see one of these in our future at some point... but come on..... a $600,000 Cigarette or $1 million Skater? Nice pics, but how about something for the rest of us?? I liked it back when Hot Boat would do an entire issue on "mini offshore boats" or something like that. You know the type, 28 Nordic, 28 Pantera, 25 Baja, 25 Checkmate, 26 Powerquest, 28 Sunsation, 26 Sonic, 26 Laveycraft, etc, etc, etc...... All these boats can be had with good power, on a trailer, for less than $90K. Bust out the 401K loans!!!

I guess the same can be said for car magazines, so you're saying dump the Ferrari or Lambo reviews?? What's the fun if you can't read about the cream of the crop? I'll never afford a new Cig or OL, but I just love it when they review those boats. Face it, it doesn't get any better than those boats (insert Nor-Tech, Skater, etc.) in the offshore community. The Baja 25 or Checkmate reviews just don't do it for me, hell, I can just go down to the Sound and get a ride in boats like that and perform my own review. I don't think I'll ever have the chance to do that in a new OL. It's the boat companies like Cig, Skater, OL that push the innovation envelope and make it better for the industry as a whole and rags like PB help educate me.

If I'm not mistaken though, they've reviewed the 28 Nordic several times in the past couple of years, same with the Pantera and Baja. How many reviews on the same model can they do??

I like the rag, I'll continue to subscribe to it as well as the other boating pubs I get.

EvilTwin 02-17-2005 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by bajaneil
To hell with PB subscription.

Tell Judy a real woman buys gas cards!! :D:D

You know I think you may be right! I might have to use that suggestion for my birthday!!! (which a few days after the Champlain fun run in june) hint hint :D